Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Argh Mac's!  (Read 9936 times)

Description:

Offline nickshouse

• Show only replies by nickshouse
    • http://www.just4macs.com
Re: Argh Mac's!
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 22, 2003, 04:30:32 AM »

AmigaWun wrote:
the keyboard has no clips there are screws that don't turn very far, there's no warning for that and they could be easily broken, but I managed to defeat that.  

That screw is the lock for the keyboard. It is only supposed to turn a little. Lock and unlock. That is it. You must have really screwed her computer. Great job. Why was it so hard to look online to see how to install it the correct way?

PC SIMMs? Are you trying to put SIMMs in a modern laptop? Try and put your SIMMs in a PC laptop. I am sure you will fit them in somehow. Maybe if you snap them in half. The SODIMM in the Powerbook is standard RAM that every laptop these days have in them. You could buy RAM for that Powerbook at Walmart for crying out load.

Please at least ask for help next time to try to do something more complex then opening a jar.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2003, 05:29:57 AM »
Okay, that's enough. No more picking on this guy. I suppose none of you have tried to do someing with out instructions or being able to find decent ones and ended up with one hell of a time.

Simple advice: If it doesn't look right and/or the instructions don't seem to make what you have, then seek assistance and advice. Maybe even suggest footing the $20 for the pros to do it. If it's under warranty always have to pros do it. No need to void your warranty and end up with an expensive paper weight.

As such, This topic is locked.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2003, 05:35:53 AM »
I don't think this is just an Apple problem. I won't buy a computer from Best Buy or CompUSA that is put together (with exception of a laptop) because they use non-standard case designs and power supplies and motherboard integration makes them less upgradeable..

As far as Macs go I own 3 of them yes, they are easy to work with and have a lot of digital media products available for them, but if you have a modern PC the superiority lines are fading since MacOS is now Unix, which some would argue if you go to the Mac's Terminal Shell command prompt (yeah it has one hidden in system folders) that this command line is a lot more difficult for first time people.

I actually think DOS is easier (if not less functional because you don't have to SU CHOWN CHMOD etc..) but not nearly as scriptable of functional.

The next point I'd make is the Mac isn't a USER serviceable product.. It's not intended to be.. They don't want the Mac hacked into something crazy
like most pc owners do to their machines. So you get caught in expensive upgrade cycles.

I took apart an old IMAC for a friend and dang if it wasn't the most difficult thing to do. It took over an hour. But it is an easy to use box with the mac interface.. It's just technician hell and I cut myself like 4 times on it (and it's mostly plastic)..

As far as Mac applications go, I have been using a mac with photoshop since photoshop 2.5. It's very easy to use even with older models, but things like applications and games seem to be a half year to a year behind their PC releases. Making the machine half as functional to me. The same version of

DreamWeaver MX for instance seems to have less database support. All in all, I couldn't move to development on it although I'd like to because I'd be just a little behind the curve..

. Microsoft came through finally on a great office version for it and it even comes bundled now with PC emulation and a copy of windows XP that runs flawlessly for running PC apps. I can't wait to see what Mac owners do if Windows ever sees the light of day for PowerPC :-) CPUs.. Remember they went there in the past with NT, why not now :-)

ya gotta wonder..

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================