Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimig Enhancements  (Read 13519 times)

Description:

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
Re: Minimig Enhancements
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I would just say, use USB as MMC is used already

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »

pixie wrote:

What does that mean?

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
alexh wrote:

pixie wrote:

What does that mean?

I think he's referring to the Multi-Media Card reader.  Unfortunately, USB is not so simple.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
Perhaps a smarter course would be, initially to try and bring the MiniMIg up to the baseline Amiga standard before pushing to next-gen standards such as USB? That would mean a floppy controller and PATA, correct?

I pretty much agree. I think using the A600 as a baseline to shoot for is would be a decent balance of practicality and functionality. More RAM should be top priority, 2mb Chip plus 4mb Fast, then SCSI/IDE emulation (I think hardfile support on the MMC card is fine). IPF support on the floppy side would be nice so games don't have to be played via cracked ADFs. Getting the full complement of I/O ports would be good - I believe a parallel port is not present on the current design. PCMCIA would be a good bonus to add networking. Socketing instead of surface-mounting the CPU would allow users to swap in a 68010 for better WHDLoad compatibility.

When we start talking about things like AGA, CPU upgrades and USB, I think we're leaving the territory of MiniMig and moving into HeavilyExpandedA4000ReimplementedInFPGAMig. Remember the number one rule of design: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. The current MiniMig is on par with a base A500, so the next revision being like a slightly expanded A600 makes a lot of sense to me.

Offline downix

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:48 PM »
I think I have a PCMCIA module somewhere around here.  Let me dig around for it.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »
I will admit to being totally out of my depth here, so please don't think I should know better or anything BUT...

What about:

Moving the connectors 'round to the back ATX style and lengthening the board on the bottom and adding a couple of PCI slots.

?

Is there a PCI controller that could be added cheaply enough to accomplish this?

That way, your SATA/PATA/etc. could be added with a cheap card (assuming drivers).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline downix

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:
I will admit to being totally out of my depth here, so please don't think I should know better or anything BUT...

What about:

Moving the connectors 'round to the back ATX style and lengthening the board on the bottom and adding a couple of PCI slots.

?

Is there a PCI controller that could be added cheaply enough to accomplish this?

That way, your SATA/PATA/etc. could be added with a cheap card (assuming drivers).

added, yes, cheaply, no.  

You'd be adding a huge layer of complexity for little gain.  Altho, an easier method might be to clone the Zorro II bus, but do any of the PCI adaptors for the Amiga handle Zorro II?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
but do any of the PCI adaptors for the Amiga handle Zorro II?

Nope. One would have to add Super Buster to the code and do ZorroIII.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
Perhaps a smarter course would be, initially to try and bring the MiniMIg up to the baseline Amiga standard before pushing to next-gen standards such as USB? That would mean a floppy controller and PATA, correct?

If your going to add that much more work/hardware/realestate to minimig, I don't really see the bang:buck ratio being there. :shrug:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
About USB:
Is it feasable to create a crude USB handler that is hidden from Amiga software?
Considering all these "adapters" available, it should be possible to replicate them in fpga?
I think the issue with usb is that of obsolence, ie ps/2 stuff might be harder and harder to get.

PC-Card (PCMCIA):
By replacing the current SD/MMC interface it would enable the use of IBM Microdrives, aswell as Compactflash cards.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling is an issue with flashmemories)

Hardfile:
I have read the sourcefiles, and it seems possible to implement a Gayle interface with the hardware as it is. But it could use some ram for caching and avoiding wear on flashcards.

DRAM:
What's the status on this?, it would enable a lot of stuff. And DRAMs are *cheap*.

The XC3S500E specifies 622 Mbit/s operation per I/O. So two FPGAs can act as a transparent cluster.

Offline downix

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »

Matt_H wrote:
but do any of the PCI adaptors for the Amiga handle Zorro II?

Nope. One would have to add Super Buster to the code and do ZorroIII.

Ok, would be easier to just add PCI directly then...

or not, just checked on the price for 68k to PCI bridges....

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
USB definitey, if you have six USB ports it doesn't matter what you plug into them, joysticks, keyboards, printers, hard drives, it's your choice.  PS/2 is crap, you can't even hotswap ps/2.  All keyboards now are USB with a PS/2 converter thrown in for legacy systems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »
perisa:
I hotswap PS/2 all the time between machines :-D
None have died the ESD death yet..

USB still needs the handling transparent to bit poking games or demos.

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »

persia wrote:
USB definitey, if you have six USB ports it doesn't matter what you plug into them, joysticks, keyboards, printers, hard drives, it's your choice.

Not it's not. USB wont work, the software is too complicated, wont run without lots of RAM and the hardware too expensive. The keyboard doesnt work in games without extensive software support. Forget it and look into doing something else.

PS/2 is crap, you can't even hotswap ps/2.

Yes you can. You've had a Windows PC for far too long. PS/2 is fine for MiniMig.

All keyboards now are USB with a PS/2 converter thrown in for legacy systems.

Not they are not. You buy a PC these days you still get a PS/2 keyboard.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
Why bother with floppy drives?  They're ancient unreliable technology that are better handled as adfs.  You can store almost six thousand full ADFs on a single DVD (dual layer).  DO they even sell floppy disks anymore?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline downix

« Reply #44 from previous page: August 27, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »
Because, persia, it's a step that makes sense before going for a hard drive setup.  If you can get the logic needed to control the relatively simpler floppy, then you're closer to handling a much more complex hard drive unit.

You must walk before you can run my friend.