Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatcha Playin' in DosBOX?  (Read 3210 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Whatcha Playin' in DosBOX?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:35 AM »
Tripitaka: Ya, me too! :)

Fish: Aghh, the curse of following developing Alt OS'.

Sometimes it sucks not being a developer in the coding sense, but alas I've got too many hobbies and such on the table right now.

When my faster machine is built, I'll have to play with that Video Record feature. I've got tons of unknown gems I'd love to share video of!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 01:40:44 AM »
Just for you XDelusion http://ua.reonis.com/index.php &  http://frua.rosedragon.org/

Two sites that should get you started with FRUA.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51:19 AM »
Ha ha, cool thanks man! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:52:21 AM »
If you are just running dosbox on a commodity pc, why not just run the programs under dos, lol.

Then again, I never could get AROS working in even a mediocre fashion, so I must be missing something.  All due respect to the efforts made, but I've got a stack of PC mobos here and that OS doesn't see SATA on a single one of them.

I never understood the emulation under emulation deal anyways, like the guys who told me I could cheerfully run legacy amiga code on OS4 with the OS4 version of UAE.

Offline DonutKing

• Show only replies by DonutKing
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:46 AM »
If you are just running dosbox on a commodity pc, why not just run the programs under dos, lol.

There are a number of reasons why installing real DOS on any reasonably modern PC isn't really a good solution for playing games.

Many games have speed problems on faster processors; not only running too fast but certain games are known to crash on launch when you try to run them on anything around 200MHz or faster due to a timing bug. Games that use prefetch-queue tricks won't work on Pentiums or newer.

Some games don't like more than 16MB of memory to be installed in your system.
Many games require you to fiddle with your memory manager to get varying amounts of EMS and XMS memory. Certain games are very fiddly to get working and require a configuration that pretty much won't work with anything else (Ultima 7 comes to mind....)

You'll possibly need to setup a seperate FAT16 or FAT32 partition on your hard drive for DOS (depending on what version of DOS you are running).

You have to set up CDROM and sound card drivers under DOS. CD drives can usually be done with the oakcdrom.sys on the win98 boot disk but good luck getting sound card drivers for anything remotely modern. Even then, many PCI sound cards and newer don't perform FM synthesis properly (like on the Adlib or Sound Blaster), often your music will sound terrible if it works at all. DOSBOX also allows you to use soundfonts for high quality general MIDI music, which under DOS would require an expensive wavetable soundcard or MIDI synth.

There are workarounds to many of these problems but DOSBOX gets around all of them, and you don't even have to reboot out of your main OS to use it :) And if you use a frontend like DFend Reloaded  its even easier - just drag and drop :) Unfortunately that's windows only, not sure of any equivalents for AROS.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 02:54:43 AM »
@Duce
Funny you should sy that. Ive never had a pc mobo that doesnt work with AROS. And I use sata drives. It sometimes takes some bios tweaking, but at the end of the day probably 6 out of 7 pcs will work with AROS.
Care to name some of these mobos and the chipsets theyre using?

Also, what are you talking about when you say , "emulation under emulation" ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:57:58 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »
By "emulation under emulation" I mean the old argument that some OS4 fanatic gave me when I first bought my SAM, which I love by the way:  For what it is.

He told me any old legacy Amiga program that won't natively run under OS4 can just be run in UAE for OS4.  I understood the solution he was proposing, but didn't exactly rejoice in the fact I bought an overpriced and underpowered SAM just to have to run UAE - and in fact, I had no expectations of the SAM being able to run programs without a hitch that were coded 20 years ago, heh.  I may have been optimistic, but I was also realistic when I got a "modern Amiga".

The fact remained I have a $100 PC beside me that can run all my old Amiga apps under Amithlon/3.1 100x faster than UAE on the SAM, so it was sort of a mixed bag of enjoying the modern SAM while realizing its' limitations.

Was also at that time I started trying to learn C to convert some of these old programs I would love to see run flawlessly and natively on my SAM, in my case - old BBS software.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:43:35 AM by Duce »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:49 AM »
Sorry, it may appear Im being arguementative. It's not my intention, but Im a little confused here.

Os4 will run system friendly os3.x apps without the need for a form of uae. In fact in this regard its quite similar to amithlon (my fav. "amiga" system incidently) in that "only" system friendly 68k software will run without uae (even for amithlon). Granted amithlon/os3.x will run them much faster than a sam, but that doesnt elate the confusion  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 05:01:08 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;670419
Sorry, it may appear Im being arguementative. It's not my intention, but Im a little confused here.

Ya, that's my job! Actually mine's just to cause strife amongst those who take trivial things too seriously, arguments I could care less for. :)

Quote from: fishy_fiz;670419
Os4 will run system friendly os3.x apps without the need for a form of uae. In fact in this regard its quite similar to amithlon (my fav. "amiga" system incidently) in that "only" system friendly 68k software will run without uae (even for amithlon). Granted amithlon/os3.x will run them much faster than a sam, but that doesnt elate the confusion  :)

Exactly! I discovered much the same thing when using MorphOS, many apps run, but those that hit the hardware directly, or were coded funky do not and require emulation...

...which is where Amithlon rules the day!!! I've no time to run an emulated Amiga environment on top of Windows, except maybe when setting up hard drives, but that's it!

On that note, I seriously hope that JIT gets ported over to the PPC incarnations of UAE, and I hope that some day UAE, gets the same kind of love, dedication, and attention that WinUAE gets...

The fact that Amiga users actually put more love into a Windows based Amiga emulator over all the non-Windows alternatives, just comes to me as a smack in the face. We grew up hating and loathing Microsoft...

...now a days everyone uses it without the slightest hint of shame...

Heh, and here I am talking about people who take trivial things too seriously. I guess in the grand scheme of things, even Amiga is trivial. ;)

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
Quote from: smerf;670166
I would rather use a good OS like Ubuntu, but I do use DOSbox on it and I play such games as Doom, DoomII

When there happens to exists native game engines for old games then (usually) it's only disadvantageous to stick to the original engine:

* native efficiency > emulated original efficiency
* native controls (wasd + mouse look) > original controls
* native capabilities (gfx, sound, ...) > original capabilities

:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:34:47 PM by Einstein »
I have spoken !

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
I agree with the previous poster, DOSBOX is just easier and better than keeping a real dos install or dos/win98 or earlier pc. You can run dosbox on windows,aros, macos,linux and more. So just keep a thumbdrive of your 8 or 16 gb dos partition and copy it accross all your machines.

I loved dos and used it more than anything else but amiga. I hated windows and being forced to use their ****ty gui, so I kept using dos for way longer than most folks. Remember, all the most powerful programs were written in dos longer after windows came around...  On my dos dependance it was a mixture of things, but mostly due to all the most powerful games andprograms running on it that made me lik it so much as well as my music needs. (Ft2's fault mostly) I even kept a windows 98 pc into xp/vista days just to run dos programs.

Dosbox made that need for a dedicated dos pc no longer necessary. It runs most games and applications beautifully.

On aros, its easy to find a 3ghz single or dual core machine that dosn't use sata but ide. To me, its worth a bit of time to get it working, even if I have to buy extra parts/motherboards whatever on ebay for a couple of bucks.

AROS is progressing beautifully and its fun to tinker with. It runs on anything (with ide I suppose) and an emu10k sblive, intel pro 100 network card and supported gpu accelerated video cards. (more options too but going this route is easiest)

Long live amiga, but dos too please for some things... :roflmao:

Steven

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
Ironically my AROS machine is mostly just for playing with DOSbox. At least till Wanderer becomes more feature rich like Ambient.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
Disney Studio and can not get SpaceQuest 1 to work.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »
@runequester:

Yes, Master of Magic FTW!
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;670701
Disney Studio and can not get SpaceQuest 1 to work.

Assuming ScummVM on AROS ever gets an update and bug fix, you'll be able to use it to play through Space Quest 1-5 as well as the VGA remake of part one whick removes the need to type.

Of course if you run MorphOS you can enjoy them all now.

...are you trying to run Disney Studio on DOS box? I thought that only released on Amiga?

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 08, 2011, 03:34:51 AM »
Prince Of Persia II - Never Released for Amiga.
about five months ago that do not play again.. actually do not remember what level I am
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy