Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga brand name for sale  (Read 11511 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Amiga brand name for sale
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Pouring good money down a rat hole to get a domain name is a really bad idea.  The Amiga community is small, a few thousand, most of whom read one of three or four websites.  Hyperion could use the domain name kfjslfdjdkfjldfogd.asia and people would still find it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
I was going to say.. just register spanishlesbians.com ... but it's already taken .. OOOPS :p

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
Quote from: Franko;588550
I've already purchased AmigaUK.com, but because I decided to change servers the name is tied up for 60 days before I can access it... :(

But to own the actual AMIGA name, now that would be something, reckon I could have a great laugh with that... :)

(oops... made a boo boo it's AmigaUK.com I purchased not AmigaScotland.com, wondered why I couldn't find it !!!)

Some time ago, when the amiga.com domain had been suspended by godaddy because of the invalid contact information, I thought I should try a long shot of getting the domain. I had heard upset rumors online of godaddy actually revoking and re-selling domains they had suspended for similar reasons to new owners, so I thought I should have a go. :)

So I decided to use godaddy's own "domain buy service". Thought that might improve my odds a bit. I registered and paid the fee. After some time I got a "Certified Domain Name Appraisal", a service that was included in the price, and it turned out that godaddy estimated the value of the domain to be in the range of $1,268 - $3,296. I made an offer for $1,500 (I think).

After some time though, I suddenly got the fee for the "domain buy service" completely refunded, and godaddy terminated the service without any further explanation. I mailed them a few times, curious to why they terminated the service, but got no sane response other than some standard copy/paste kind of answer that didn't tell me anything at all. A bit odd I think. But, ah well... Worth a try! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
@ takemehomegrandma

The company dealing with the sale is called 'Pluritas' and as I say Im still waiting for a reply from them. If it gonna cost me several grand to get the Amiga name and all that goes along with it then I'd be willing to spend the cash on it, as I have a few ideas that I'd like to try out.

Having said that before parting with any dosh I'd have to check out all the grey areas first before deciding what to do. Cos as we all know when it comes to the Amiga the whole subject of just who owns what is very murky indeed.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
Quote from: Transition;588522
We hope Spanish Lesbians get it too.

They don't look Spanish to me...

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »
AI made a new McFunny, still up to their old business of trying to make money for doing nothing.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
Quote from: Franko;588587
@ takemehomegrandma

The company dealing with the sale is called 'Pluritas' and as I say Im still waiting for a reply from them. If it gonna cost me several grand to get the Amiga name and all that goes along with it then I'd be willing to spend the cash on it, as I have a few ideas that I'd like to try out.

Having said that before parting with any dosh I'd have to check out all the grey areas first before deciding what to do. Cos as we all know when it comes to the Amiga the whole subject of just who owns what is very murky indeed.

Honestly, I think they will try to recover a major part of what they originally invested to buy the IP. I don't think they will succeed, they will get much less in the end, but somehow I don't think "several grand" will be enough! ;)

Best of luck though! :)

Spanish lesbians could surely use a nice place to stay in cyberspace!

:)

Heck, speaking of that, why leave the computer industry because of the lesbians, why not combine the two? I mean, there is probably a much, much bigger market for "lesbian computers" than there is for "X1000" and "Sam 460" combined! I'd say that the lesbians are a forgotten segment in the industry! :) Think of it, a pink, cute little PC. A netbook, small enough to fit within a purse, but with built-in 3G and Wifi, and with a hotline to the new, reworked amiga.com, containing everything lesbians needs and wants for their daily Internet life (wathever that is). :)

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Quote from: Transition;588613
AI made a new McFunny

I need more popcorn, the show never ends! :)

Speaking of that, I wish I had bought shares in the popcorn industry a decade ago. I would have been a millionaire by now! :)

Offline TensionTopic starter

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;588617
I need more popcorn, the show never ends! :)

Speaking of that, I wish I had bought shares in the popcorn industry a decade ago. I would have been a millionaire by now! :)

Shares are sliding now.  Apparently popcorn sales always correlate with the state of the economy, ie bad.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;588524
Given the truly insane legal issues and bad blood that surround Amiga and Hyperion etc, if the worst dig the mainstream tech press have is at the projected cost of the X1000, you're having a good day.

Good point  ;)

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
Quote from: Transition;588613
AI made a new McFunny, still up to their old business of trying to make money for doing nothing.

You just defined the goal of capitalism, never so clear.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Is it just the Amiga trademark that is being sold, and nothing else?

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;588626
Is it just the Amiga trademark that is being sold, and nothing else?

I don't think there is anything else left, most, if not all of the patents have expired.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;588629
I don't think there is anything else left, most, if not all of the patents have expired.

There has got to be something other than the patents -- everything that has a copyright on it, for example?

Well, maybe the revolutionary "Commodore Amiga" machines are not going to happen after all.  What kind of company announces that "Commodore USA" has the exclusive marketing rights to Amiga then puts the Amiga trademark itself up for sale?  (Yes, Amiga Inc. is that kind of company.)

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:29 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;588631
There has got to be something other than the patents -- everything that has a copyright on it, for example?

Copyright for what? They lost the right to do anything with AmigaOS. So far as I'm aware, they never attempted to get any of the IP for the old commodore chipsets.

Quote from: orb85750;588631
What kind of company announces that "Commodore USA" has the exclusive marketing rights to Amiga then puts the Amiga trademark itself up for sale?  (Yes, Amiga Inc. is that kind of company.)

One that doesn't have much of an alternative. Hyperion has the OS, and the Amiga community absolutely savaged him. The brand whist it's in either McBill's or Barrys hands is toxic.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline eb15

• Show only replies by eb15
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 02, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »
This may be just a step in a private transaction to make it look like they're courting multiple offers to buy out Amiga Inc. in an open market.