Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS on Xbox just for fun :)  (Read 3449 times)

Description:

Offline som99Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
AROS on Xbox just for fun :)
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »
Well I had nothing to do a few days ago, so I booted my old trusty Xbox with Gentoo and wanted to run AROS on it :)

Since AROS x86 cant run nativly out of the box so I went ahead and installed XFree86 on it since its possible to get it to drain less ram then xorg. Then after countless issues and disabeling XFCE to save ram I realized XFree86 drains 32MB Ram :( But after some tweaking I got the AROS Linux-i386 build to start, BUT it was totally unusable due to the little amount of RAM in the Xbox (the xbox has 64MB and less then 30MB free at boot of AROS).

So now I want to know if anyone has gotten a x86 build of AROS running on the Xbox?

Also I got a Xbox 360 sitting at home begging me to use a custom bootloader and get PPC Linux on it. So has anyone tried to run the hosted AROS for PPC Linux on the 360?

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: AROS on Xbox just for fun :)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to mod my game consoles but I never have. I ran some homebrew on my dreamcast which was pretty cool but nothing on the xbox.

Is there any way to boot a native aros setup? Or would it have to be built specifically for the xbox?
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;571568
I always thought it would be cool to mod my game consoles but I never have. I ran some homebrew on my dreamcast which was pretty cool but nothing on the xbox.

Is there any way to boot a native aros setup? Or would it have to be built specifically for the xbox?

There's always WiiUAE. :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
Softmodding an xbox is easy as pie.  Search around on google.   XBMC is the best media centre there is ,  Easily connects to windows shares for media.  Alows you to backup games to the HDD.  There are good versions of snes etc emulators so you can fill it with roms.

You can pick up seceond hand xbox for £10 and chuck a 250gig HDD in it for next to nothing.  Its the way to go.  Make the xbox such an amazing piece of kit.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
@som99

Have you tried to use a cut down version of AROS, maybe from the nightly without all the eye candy?  Theme software use to eat a ton of RAM and it's not really needed.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;571569
There's always WiiUAE. :)

You were always crazy about the gamecube weren't you, running aos4 on it?

I finally got a gamecube and a wii they are really cool systems. does wiiuae work pretty well? How do you set it up?
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;571568

Currently there is no way to run AROS native on the xbox, I guess the Bios has to be rewritten a bit before it would work. Else it might be possible to adept the AROS build for Cromwell bios.

Quote from: dammy;571573
@som99

Have you tried to use a cut down version of AROS, maybe from the nightly without all the eye candy?  Theme software use to eat a ton of RAM and it's not really needed.

I had to run it as bare as possible to even get it started :( I wish I had an extra xbox then I could solder 64MB more ram on it and with 128MB ram in total, then I bet it would atleast be runable :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
Depending upon on dedicated you are, you can always take the ram from another XBOX mobo and add it to your current one, thus giving you a total of 128Mb or RAM.

There are guides for this on XBOX-scene and youtube.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;571642
Depending upon on dedicated you are, you can always take the ram from another XBOX mobo and add it to your current one, thus giving you a total of 128Mb or RAM.

There are guides for this on XBOX-scene and youtube.

I know, I wrote that in a previous post ;)
Ive done it before in the past.
Tho I do not put high priority on that right now since it was all just for fun.
So im not spending anything on the xbox, also the hdd I had in the xbox (a 160GB) just died on me a hour or so ago. So im currently replacing it and starting all over, but since the Xbox is quite limited I might see what I can do on the 360 instead ;)

But I have one last plan on the xbox, ill write back here when ive tried it!

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
Quote from: JJ;571571
Softmodding an xbox is easy as pie.  Search around on google.   XBMC is the best media centre there is ,  Easily connects to windows shares for media.  Alows you to backup games to the HDD.  There are good versions of snes etc emulators so you can fill it with roms.

You can pick up seceond hand xbox for £10 and chuck a 250gig HDD in it for next to nothing.  Its the way to go.  Make the xbox such an amazing piece of kit.

PS3 is much better than Xbox for media sharing.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:16:19 AM »
PS3 is slightly! more expensive than an xbox1, and although it can decode 1080p h264 with ease, various formats will need to be transcoded for it. I don't think the ps3 is really comparable to XBMC for functionality though.

considering  the cost of a second hand xbox, it can make a fantastic media center, which so long as you don't want HD h264 playback, will do a great job. (You can do 720p mpeg4 at ~5000kbit though if you want to transcode from h264 etc)

BTW the home for the xbox version of xbmc is now at http://www.xbmc4xbox.org for those that are interested. friendly community/forum too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:38:46 AM by buzz »

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
we have an Xbox 360 in the house now, I'm wondering if it's possible to run AROS as a usermode application on it.  Boot from a CD or otherwise.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »
Only way to run AROS on an XBox360 is the same way as running AROS on the original XBox, and that is to run it hosted on Linux. PPC native versions of AROS are limited to Sam440 and Efika, to run it on any other PPC hardware you'll need to run it hosted.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;677302
Only way to run AROS on an XBox360 is the same way as running AROS on the original XBox, and that is to run it hosted on Linux. PPC native versions of AROS are limited to Sam440 and Efika, to run it on any other PPC hardware you'll need to run it hosted.

Any reason why?  Being able to run it native would be awesome on a stick. If it means massive coding, it might give me something to do.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
If you feel brave enough then you could remove the existing RAM, requires desoldering, and replace it with 128MB. This greatly improves performance with emulation and homebrew stuff. I personally didn't do this when I had an xbox but I got my friend, who does fine soldering for a living, to do it for me.