Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)  (Read 8273 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 27, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;820926
Hmm, I wonder how many of those tweaks are in the SteamOS kernel.

Not sure how much they change over the stock Debian one.  I had thought liquorix as a distribution had died long ago.

Liquorix has never been a distribution.  It's a debian repo with builds of the Zen Kernel for easy updates.

Are you thinking of Lycoris Linux from the early naughties? They are unrelated projects.

This kernel build is much more noticeably responsive than the SteamOS kernel on the same hardware. It's kinda BeOS/Amiga style responsiveness.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
Re: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;820818

Arch is very much a "build your own system", but once it is built, runs forever.  Only reason mine finally died was because my hard drive decided to start clicking in the middle of the night, and I had that install updated from about 6 years of use.  

I can get a full Arch install with desktop in 20-30 min, depending on download speeds, and it will stay running forever.  Windows... hell I am already considering re-installing mine because some random software doesn't uninstall itself correctly.
Only downside with Arch is the rolling version, there isn't any stop and snapshot a 'stable' version.  Thats why I went Slackware.  on all my 'production' boxen I run the stable snapshot version (14.2 currently) and just slackupg update for any security/bug fixes.  Arch is like always running slackware-current and always getting the latest software no matter what reason.
Either are still more stable than windows though.  Any either one you still have to tell it when to update not the other way around like windows.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 02:41:16 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820929
Liquorix has never been a distribution.  It's a debian repo with builds of the Zen Kernel for easy updates.

Are you thinking of Lycoris Linux from the early naughties? They are unrelated projects.

This kernel build is much more noticeably responsive than the SteamOS kernel on the same hardware. It's kinda BeOS/Amiga style responsiveness.

You're right, I was thinking of Lycoris.  interesting, I will have to give that a try, i genereally just stick to sid on my desktop and stesting on my more work related desktop systems.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 05:31:01 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;820967
You're right, I was thinking of Lycoris.  interesting, I will have to give that a try, i genereally just stick to sid on my desktop and stesting on my more work related desktop systems.

The repo is supposed to be for sid so you are in luck, but it works on any debian version or derivative tbh. It only contains the kernel image and the headers. My kids and missus run it on their machines which range from core2duo with igp to sandybridge with nvidia pascal gpu and core m3 ultrabooks. All of them run a flavour of Mint.

I have it on a little Quadcore Atom Transformer T100 from ASUS with only 2GB RAM and a poxy IGP running GNUStep and the difference is like night and day.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 05:37:07 AM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;820935
Only downside with Arch is the rolling version, there isn't any stop and snapshot a 'stable' version.  Thats why I went Slackware.  on all my 'production' boxen I run the stable snapshot version (14.2 currently) and just slackupg update for any security/bug fixes.  Arch is like always running slackware-current and always getting the latest software no matter what reason.
Either are still more stable than windows though.  Any either one you still have to tell it when to update not the other way around like windows.

With Arch being a derivative of Slackware you might be able to get away with installing this package.  Saves on compiling Zen yourself.  :)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-lqx/

Yes I'm on a pimping spree, can't praise Liquorix / Zen enough.  :)

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;820977
With Arch being a derivative of Slackware you might be able to get away with installing this package.  Saves on compiling Zen yourself.  :)

Pimp away!  installed the liquorix kernel and it does seem a bit snappier!  Oddly it feels much like it did when I first installed my Debian system.  I think I probably went install crazy and have set stuff up that I don't really use, and should purge it out, but this reminds me of when I first got an SSD.  nice and snappy.  On the other hand my non-SSD installed Arch feels snappier than my Debian install does currently (seriously need to spend some time to figure out why, or just dump package list, re-install, then install what I actually use...)

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up, this is working quite nicely.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 02:48:14 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;820999
Pimp away!  installed the liquorix kernel and it does seem a bit snappier!  Oddly it feels much like it did when I first installed my Debian system.  I think I probably went install crazy and have set stuff up that I don't really use, and should purge it out, but this reminds me of when I first got an SSD.  nice and snappy.  On the other hand my non-SSD installed Arch feels snappier than my Debian install does currently (seriously need to spend some time to figure out why, or just dump package list, re-install, then install what I actually use...)

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up, this is working quite nicely.

Glad you found it useful! :)

It's been the first thing I install on any newly installed system for many years now.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;820977

Don't need to, I run Slackware :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;821022
Don't need to, I run Slackware :)

Well that's why I mentioned it.

There are no prebuilt Slackware packages of it AFAIK but the Arch package might work on Slackware.

Offline nicholas

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;820739
My parents run windows.  Every month I had to clean some kind of malware.  I finally got them to use firefox instead of IE so it goes about 6 months between malware infections now and thats mainly because my mother will still use bing/msn for something and one of the ads was smart enough to write their crap for more than one browser.

My mum used to be exactly the same, I ended up buying her a chromebox as all she was doing was browsing the web anyway. thats something like 4 years without incident now.

Personally I made the shift to Linux in 2009 after one too many blue screens from Vista and its worked out quicker and more reliable for me.
I'm glad... because now I spend most of my workdays upgrading or troubleshooting windows servers and desktops so its a breath of fresh air when I get home! :laughing:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Did a fresh installation of Windows 7 sp1 last night. Ran windows update at 10pm-ish and the were 207 critical updates. Left it running over night for 12 hours and it's still running now currently at update 174.

I have 47Mb fibre the machine has 2GB RAM, a 2GHz Core2Duo and an SSD so it's definitely Windows that's at fault.

Upgraded my son's laptop from Mint 18 to 18.1 at the same time and it took less than 10 minutes to download and install the entire operating system and upgrade every application he has installed.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
Oh and neither the WiFi Chipset nor the Ethernet had drivers from a fresh install.

Very amateur. Not impressed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:32:22 AM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
Windows is awesome.

https://youtu.be/Zu0l-Ac7fTU

Offline nicholas

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »