Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Color me suprised!  (Read 2589 times)

Description:

Offline nOw2

• Show only replies by nOw2
Re: Color me suprised!
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 02, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;756015
Bull%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!. Of course the advertisers would have you believe that. But, that exactly why we ignore the ads....

As someone who regularly specs PCs and servers to over £5000 ($8000?), the Mac Pro looks good value indeed.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
@ persia

That picture illustrates my point about lack of internal expansion perfectly! Thanks for sharing :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;756046
@ persia

That picture illustrates my point about lack of internal expansion perfectly! Thanks for sharing :)

To be fair to Apple, an external cage would solve that rats nest of wires and boxes problem.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;756052
To be fair to Apple, an external cage would solve that rats nest of wires and boxes problem.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone manufacturing any Thunderbolt-interface mini-towers with PCI-E slots and drive bays...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;756058
Unfortunately, I don't see anyone manufacturing any Thunderbolt-interface mini-towers with PCI-E slots and drive bays...

Not yet but I'm sure someone will make them even if Apple don't.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;756046
@ persia

I'd make an "educated" guess (based on my own reflections from seeing my own computers throughout time as well as the workstations I work with, has worked with in the past, and those my colleges and friends work with in their respective companies and at home), that 90-99% of the internal slots and connectors in the general PC is completely unused. Even the need for internal hard drives has diminished, in favor of NAS devices, even in peoples homes. You have a very fast, 256GB SSD with operating system and all you applications, and the data on a NAS. A raided/mirrored 3TB NAS where everyone in the family (according to their respective account privileges) can reach everything (from desktops, laptops, smart TV's, smart phones, tablets and whatever), where all photos, videos and movies, music, and other bulk storage resides, is so much better.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
This case is not compatible with Motorola (my fish.)

3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline trekiej

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of an A1200 and all its modular gadgets?
What is old is new again.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
For that kind of money you can build one hell of an expandable DELL PowerEdge server with SAS RAID, higher end dual video cards, redundant power supplies,  etc. but it won't look like a little trashcan.

For $5000USD you can build one fast and expandable desktop PC.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;756192
For that kind of money you can build one hell of an expandable DELL PowerEdge server with SAS RAID, higher end dual video cards, redundant power supplies, etc. but it won't look like a little trashcan.

That's exactly what I was thinking. For that kind of money you're going to have something with at least a half-dozen hard drives running in RAID, dual processors with at least 16 cores, and a heck of a lot more internal expansion options than that thing. It would be noisy, however, and not very compact. But I don't really care about that since I sit right next to the server room. ;)

Although previous poster was right, it would look good sitting next to a Walker! :banana:

PS - love the fish tank!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »
Do a quick and dirty build up of the components and their prices and the new Mac Pro isn't actually all that overpriced, especially for an Apple product.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
Quote from: Duce;756205
Do a quick and dirty build up of the components and their prices and the new Mac Pro isn't actually all that overpriced, especially for an Apple product.
I seem to recall the same argument being made with regard to the CUSA C64x...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup