Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tower Nightmare!!!  (Read 870 times)

Description:

Offline LeifernTopic starter

• Show only replies by Leifern
Tower Nightmare!!!
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:32:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I bought an Infinitiv Tower on Ebay, and it arrived today. But the powersupply sent with the tower doesn't fit. It's just not room for the damn thing and all the PowerCables are to short. So i guess my first question is, can i use one of the powersupplies from one of my old PC-Towers? Also, i noticed (wich is something that i should have thought of earlier) the supershort IDE that connected my 2'5HD to the A1200 motherboard isn't long enough anymore, but i have a SCSI controller with a HD on it in my A2000, can i use this with my Z-IV busboard?

Also the power-button on front of the tower is stuck.. Well, not activated or something, because there are no cables to connect it with anything. How can i connect the powerbutton to the motherbord.

PLAESE HELP!!!! I'M SO ANGRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!! :pissed:

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
Re: Tower Nightmare!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:41:03 PM »
The tower (Micronik) has a specially designed power supply with special connectors to feed the Micronik Zorro Boards.
However, if you have a Zorro IV board and not a micronik one, good for you. This board has a standard AT power connector. An AT power supply should fit just fine.

Remember to hook up the power to the busboard; this way you do not have to power the mainboard, the ZIV will do this for you.

The power switch on the front is correct, an AT power supply has a regular on/off switch which you have to mount behind the button in the front of the casing.

You can use the SCSI controller in your ZIV without too much trouble, but you could also get a longer cable; or even swap for a 3.5" IDE drive.
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 07:46:46 PM »
The power switch on the front is correct, an AT power supply has a regular on/off switch which you have to mount behind the button in the front of the casing.

Holy crap.. How do i do this? And how will i know if my powersupply is AT or ATX?

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 07:48:54 PM »
it'll probably say on the PSU if it's at or atx, failing that AT power supplies generally have a fairly big cable with the power button on the end
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline Tahoe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 07:52:14 PM »
Easy recognising points CAN be: a 220V input and output at the back of the power supply, usually these are only found on AT power supplies. (some ATX have them, but it's rare)
Otherwise you can check the power on/off switch, if it "sticks" in the ON position it's an AT one.
Other crude rule; if you are stripping an old PC case is anything below a pentium II usually has an AT PS.

Mounting it isn't really that hard, the power supply has a long (220v) cable running from it with at the end a switch, all you do is fit it on the inside of the case behind the button. Although this is a little more difficult in an Infinitiv tower then in a regular one  :-o
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:23 PM »
The powerbutton i stuck to the case.. Can i just remove it? I will have to use brute force!!!   :-P

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:25:34 PM »
Ok.. Fixed the powerthing.. But my Blizzard 1260 is to tall when connected to the Z-IV.. I'm not able to attach the top of the tower because the Blizzard is sticking up..!! How can i solve this?

Offline Tahoe

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »
Find a really rare "topcase". It basically extends the case with an extra 5.25" bay at the top, also allowing your Blizzard to fit....

Offline Coolit

• Show only replies by Coolit
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 09:26:16 PM »
I bought one of these towers and promptly wish I hadn’t (lucky it was cheap) as my blizzard scsi with a 128mb ram SIMM in wouldn’t fit the tower as it hit the psu side. They do look quite nice though, its just a pity that their designer didn’t have any foresight :roll:  I’ve since ordered a D-BOX which I expect everything to fit and fit well (crosses fingers).

One thing to note is that if you have a mediator you can use a standard PSU.  

[color=0066FF]The System:[/color][/u]

A1200/DBOX - B1260/SCSI/198MB Mediator/Voodoo5500/SB128/100NIC/SpiderII FAST ATA Mk3/SCSI Adapter/PC KEY - IDE DVD/SCSI CDRW/80GB IDE HDD/9GIG 10k SCSI HDD - 3.1 ROMS/OS 3.9 - Logitech KB + MX1000 Mouse

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 09:55:39 PM »
I can't believe it.. The diskdrive doesn't fit! I've tried my 1200, 600, 2000 and 500 diskdrive.. None of them fit.. How is this possible.. I've tried them in every possible position as well.. Does anyone know how to do this?

I’ve since ordered a D-BOX which I expect everything to fit and fit well (crosses fingers).

I would have done that as well, but than i wouldn't be able to use my Z-IV and Picasso.. :-(

Offline MuLTiViEW

• Show only replies by MuLTiViEW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 05:34:29 AM »
 You know, it almost sounds like the case you got isn't for the board you are going to use.

This may sound crazy, but a friend of mine in the UK got a Micronik Tower kit a few years back that fitted either an A600 or an A500 (I forget which)

He ended up having to sit the 1200 board outside for a while until he found someone to trade it to.

Can you take some screenshots of it?    

If anything, maybe someone can help you better if we can see it.   Perhaps you'll have to end up swapping it or maybe rebuilding something a little.

Just try not to get too impatient.  Sometimes the simpliest things can be overlooked if you rush.

coming soon from Morrowind DVD
a movie starring:  dONKeY
 \\"Shadow of Corky the Guar\\"