Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire 600?  (Read 10827 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Vampire 600?
« Reply #89 from previous page: August 16, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »
Akiko

Most people on the list didnt get a follow up as majsta decided not to produce the boards and work on other projects. however, as you can see kipper is making boards.

having said this i want to tell you guys its pretty beta (the cores that is) we really need a stable 020 + core. Right now only 68k is stable , granted its 84mhz with 21mb fast!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline mrmoonlightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;771021
Akiko

Most people on the list didnt get a follow up as majsta decided not to produce the boards and work on other projects. however, as you can see kipper is making boards.

having said this i want to tell you guys its pretty beta (the cores that is) we really need a stable 020 + core. Right now only 68k is stable , granted its 84mhz with 21mb fast!

Hi does this mean my ACA620EC will be as good as the vampire core as things stand?
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline magnetic

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Quote from: ShK;770941
Apollo-team is working hard with the Phoenix-Core. It has already succeeded boot with KS1.3 to CLI window. However, I'm not sure will there be the full 020-support. In the meantime I recommend to use TG68.C-core version 0.2 (no cache - MC68000) and make sure that you have the latest public release of the Directory Opus 4.12: http://dopus.free.fr/files/CU_DirectoryOpus.zip

Its cool that the Apollo team is working with Phoenix now. I've been running 0.2 core for over a week now pretty stable but some memory operations crash or freeze the amiga and I get things like 435,567,078 Chip ram!  

I will try that version of Dopus. Ill have to check my version.

One of my main reasons for going vampire was I thought it would be better than the 620 aca board as i need 020+ for my applications.

Majsta where r u?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2014, 03:52:38 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;771141
Its cool that the Apollo team is working with Phoenix now. I've been running 0.2 core for over a week now pretty stable but some memory operations crash or freeze the amiga and I get things like 435,567,078 Chip ram!  

I will try that version of Dopus. Ill have to check my version.

One of my main reasons for going vampire was I thought it would be better than the 620 aca board as i need 020+ for my applications.

I would have worked on the TG68 68020 nocache with full memory core first. The clock speed will probably be somewhat slower but it becomes more powerful per clock to make up for some of it. I suppose some people would miss the compatibility with the original 600 68000 but then it gains more software compatibility with 68020 support. The Vampire doesn't have any kind of fallback to the 68000 does it?

Offline magnetic

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »
Quote from: matthey;771155
I would have worked on the TG68 68020 nocache with full memory core first. The clock speed will probably be somewhat slower but it becomes more powerful per clock to make up for some of it. I suppose some people would miss the compatibility with the original 600 68000 but then it gains more software compatibility with 68020 support. The Vampire doesn't have any kind of fallback to the 68000 does it?

AFAIK vampire doesnt have fallback or diasable to revert to 68000. I had the a600 on for over 12hrs unzipping archives and ran like a champ. We need one last core for TG68 just like you said with no cache and proper memory map. For instance I was using Hoffman and Akira's PT1210 dj software and after like 20mins locked up on me like 3 times! This must be do to memory configuration ( I may go back to 0.1 core to test)  It would be nice to at least implement the quit command for whdload in current core its annoying to have to reboot to play another game. Not that I game that much but from time to time.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2014, 01:50:23 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;771247
AFAIK vampire doesnt have fallback or disable to revert to 68000.

I didn't think it did but I wasn't sure. A CPU fallback with or without extra memory would have been nice as Majsta could have focused on the 68020 core rather than a compatible 68000 core.

Quote from: magnetic;771247

I had the a600 on for over 12hrs unzipping archives and ran like a champ. We need one last core for TG68 just like you said with no cache and proper memory map. For instance I was using Hoffman and Akira's PT1210 dj software and after like 20mins locked up on me like 3 times! This must be do to memory configuration ( I may go back to 0.1 core to test)  

Majsta has the memory mapped in pretty much the most compatible way. Some older software, especially games, may expect memory to be at a particular address. All these different memory locations fragment memory more making large memory allocations less likely to succeed (mostly affects newer productivity software). They should not cause a crash or lock up with properly written software though. Maybe mapping the memory all together in the 68020 core will reduce complexity. This is how more modern accelerators work and incompatibility isn't really noticeable with productivity and newer software.

Offline majsta

• Show only replies by majsta
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
@magnetic
Hey, I m focused on getting Phoenix to work those days, but I started to work on some TG68 based cores, with 020 supprot and maybe reset fix. Pls just be patient since I don't have much time.

@matthey yes that was the goal to cover most used mem locations but then again you can't address all memory in normal way, you need to have lot of autoconfig mechanisms to use all 64MB if you want to avoid add it in just one chunk.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:56:24 PM by majsta »

Offline magnetic

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »
Quote from: majsta;771317
@magnetic
Hey, I m focused on getting Phoenix to work those days, but I started to work on some TG68 based cores, with 020 supprot and maybe reset fix. Pls just be patient since I don't have much time.

Hey Majsta

Thats cool because Phoenix looks like the way to go! However, a stable 020 with stable mem access is the ticket for now i think. The reset thing is not that big of a deal and it appears like you found a workaround but I think those new memory addresses crash the box when the mem gets allocated funny. Stability is the biggest thing for me since i'm using this for music production and sampling and live playback. Should I revert to 0.1 core? I think i'm just going to leave my usb blaster plugged into the vampire and run a cable out of the amiga so if you need any core testing let me know. I went on Apollo team irc the other night but nobody was around I was up late and gave it a shot.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline magnetic

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
Ok so since my rf modulator is removed I'm running my usb blaster cable through the hole into the 600 its great. Ready to programme!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline magnetic

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 01:21:02 AM »
Quote from: ShK;770941
Apollo-team is working hard with the Phoenix-Core. It has already succeeded boot with KS1.3 to CLI window. However, I'm not sure will there be the full 020-support. In the meantime I recommend to use TG68.C-core version 0.2 (no cache - MC68000) and make sure that you have the latest public release of the Directory Opus 4.12: http://dopus.free.fr/files/CU_DirectoryOpus.zip

Ok I reverted back to 0.1 core and now Dopus works fine. (Yes I was using vers 4.12 so it was the .2 core) A few reports of not working:

Xbench (game/mod launcher) not working
SampleManager - not working hard crash
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline ShK

• Show only replies by ShK
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;771540
Ok I reverted back to 0.1 core and now Dopus works fine. (Yes I was using vers 4.12 so it was the .2 core) A few reports of not working:

Xbench (game/mod launcher) not working
SampleManager - not working hard crash

Thank you for your report. All the same must be tested with in the Phoenix Core. We really do need you here:

http://eab.abime.net/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=95
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:12:43 PM by ShK »

Offline magnetic

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 11:18:30 PM »
Shk
Nice meeting you on IRC the other night, unfortunately I got life banned from EAB for exposing the jerks that run Amibay. So that shows you how much Amibay guys are gangsters they got me banned from EAB for 2 comments on a thread first offence! So i wont be posting either places ever, unless someone @ EAB contacts me to release the idiotic ban.
Its really funny because the amiga user base is eroding and you have moron egoists banning real amigans from the few remaining sites!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline majsta

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »
I don't get that. It seems that lately so much ppl got ban there. Why is wrong to express your opinion about someone or something regarding Amiga scene. All should be fine if we act polite and don't offend someone. By pointing to the facts and writing our opinion about this scene we showing our dedication to Amiga. But it seems that me, you or few other people are not allowed to write about someone who is exploiting this scene and making significant amount of money from it. I was attacked number of times on various forums and that's why I decided to open my site where I can express my feelings about Amiga. Even site was hacked two times, but I don't want to start conspiracy theory here.
At least, last year when I was talking to the apollo-team members about the fact that it is not important how your product is great you will need to find another way to distribute it, just because there is marketing plan where are few people involved and only them are allowed to sell amiga products or develop new. Hey, they didn't develop anything new in last 10 years, and everything should stay that way because it brings money constantly.

Back to topic, again I m off topic, had to after reading about your ban. It just got me thinking.

Anyway, I know that I said that I will build another TG68K based core with 020 support, but those days with Gunnar guidance I m focused to find last bugs inside Phoenix.

Offline magnetic

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:07 AM »
Majsta

Yes, unfortunately the UK based amiga sites seem to be run by people that are ego based power tripping fanboys. They want a fantasy amiga land where everyone is a fanboy and nobody questions anything. Like being on Paxil. Oh your product is delayed a 1 year no problem its going to be great! Havent heard anything from os4 team in a year thats ok i'm sure its great news coming! Dont agree with fanboys on a topic, life ban you negative person, you arent a real amigan. Kind of reminds of usa policy of unqeustioned patriotism if you question the govt you must be some sort of terr0r1st. Like when I almost got life banned from aw.net for saying that Hyperion had no "laptop running os4" which I was right.

There is a reason the founders of usa threw those Brits out on their arse. My fam is from Portugal but I can understand what most of the world had to endure under british rule its a mentality that these mods on these sites seem to have.

About tg68 yeah Gunnar told me you are all focused on phoenix. Its VERY important that you have full 020 working or its NOT better than the ACA board for my purposes :( And I really love this project and want a vampire in my amiga but if i cant get 020 i have to put the other board.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline majsta

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »
@magnetic please contact me on my mail so I can send you latest beta.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;771936
Majsta

Yes, unfortunately the UK based amiga sites seem to be run by people that are ego based power tripping fanboys. They want a fantasy amiga land where everyone is a fanboy and nobody questions anything. Like being on Paxil. Oh your product is delayed a 1 year no problem its going to be great! Havent heard anything from os4 team in a year thats ok i'm sure its great news coming! Dont agree with fanboys on a topic, life ban you negative person, you arent a real amigan. Kind of reminds of usa policy of unqeustioned patriotism if you question the govt you must be some sort of terr0r1st. Like when I almost got life banned from aw.net for saying that Hyperion had no "laptop running os4" which I was right.

You probably got banned as soon as they found out you use MorphOS.

I just read their terms, pretty much anything can get you an instant ban.
Go Go Gadget Signature!