Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire 600?  (Read 10823 times)

Description:

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
Re: Vampire 600?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
I like Majsta's Vampire 600.

In my opinion Igor / Majsta did prove a couple of things:

a) A single dedicated person can archieve a lot

b) that an FPGA based AMIGA accelerated with the right fpga-image
can reach both a better perfomance than many existing accelerators
and that to a better price.

This is great!
Well done Igor!

Maybe the marketing side of the whole project is missing so far.
The value for the money of the Vampire600 is great.
One would expect that the card would be advertised all over the place and that all AMIGA shops would sell them like crazy.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
Quote from: matthey;770102

The TG68 68000 core and plenty of fast memory are enough to make the accelerator a good value. If that is the only expectation and there are no problems with the clip on part, then there is a good chance of a satisfied customer.

I had zero problems with installing the board and it fitting well to my 600. right from the box it clicked right on and has been very reliable with the V .1 (68k core). There is a reset bug though if you warm reboot alot of times the RAM dissapears.

@ Majsta

Thanks for chiming in on the thread. Many of us support you and your work and will continue to in the future. i have a couple of questions if you dont mind

1. Will the Phoenix core eventually work on vampire 600? If so what kind of performance can we expect?

2. is there anyone debugging and improving the v1.0 core (020) ? I really really need the extra ram and the 020 for certain things im doing with this machine. Having said this the .1 core (68k@80mhz) will be more than enough with the 5mb for most casual amiga hobby guys but for me i'm doing digitizing/animation/music with it and really want the 020 (even better 030+)

Thanks for your work.

As far as Kipper2k goes hes a great amigan and a real asset to the North American amiga community. He is overwhelmed and busy but reliable and friendly.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »
majsta is da man!

Offline majsta

• Show only replies by majsta
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
I just wrote 200 lines of text and firefox crashed and I need to start again. OMG what a nightmare, hate PC.

Yes, problem is with customs nothing else.
All the time I was saying that I hope that someone smarter will continue and now I see that there are few Amiga FPGA related projects on the way from the ppl who just joined Amiga scene. When someone asked me why do I think that new ppl will join Amiga scene I answered just because that is the scene where they can prove themselves easier than proving their skills in X86 scene. In that scene no one will notice that you have build faster memory controller or better USB memory device. Yes you can sell that and earn lot of money but in that scene no one cares who build that. In amiga scene coders, hardware designers, programmers will join for that reason because building small things here can give you a chance to be remembered in computers history, not in papers, patents, books you will be remembered by the end users. The same thing happened with other small scenes who are huge now(Ubuntu, Android). Yes I m a dreamer but just wait.

Somehow I feel that after few new projects Amiga scene is changing, now everyone is helping me sending lot of parts I need. After they realized that all of this could work after the long period of time they are excited.

About BigGun, he is the man who will change Amiga world. When he contacted me to buy Vampire from me I just know that everything is going as I imagined. I wanted to send the boards to him for free but he refused and I feel some kind of shame charging him for the boards because I know that he will make another step. After that he invited me to join apollo-team and I realized that I just can't keep up with rest of the team. Learning process was too slow and only solution for me is to fly to Germany to fill gaps in my knowledge. That is something I need to do, but "real" life is on the way. Let me say this that BigGun is so persistent to finish this project that he refused my proposal to enter Bitcoin scene and earn enough money for ten lives.

Let's answer few questions now:

Phoenix core will be sent to all Vampire 600 users. Problem was in the FPGA I used because it is too small, only 8K LE and that was the only reason why apollo-team had to slowdown to shrink each part of the code. Performance, I have the values but let's keep that as a surprise, let's say that A600 will be your primary Amiga :)

Core based on TG68(without cache) with lot more memory is easy to build, maybe half an hour but I stopped development of that core waiting for Phoenix. Also because thunderstorms in my city I have lost most of my equipment and need lot of time to recover to start work on the project again. Let's say that my USB blaster cable died and that I repaired it using parts from broken A600 motherboard, amazing :)

Reset bug is the real problem, and as much I tried to solved it with the code I didn't resolve the problem. It can't be solved on that version of Vampire just because I made a mistake in designing it. At the time I didn't know the fact that Amiga can perform reset by using keyboard keys(soft reset), imagine :) If I had that info i could fix that problem easily. So now I was thinking to redesign the board but then that will not be fair for the ppl who have first version.  

About marketing and board promotion, let me start again conspiracy theory in Amiga world, there are certain ppl who earn a lot of money from Amiga name, they don't like new players joining and they will do everything to block you and to prove everyone that only their approach is the right one. There is nothing special in building Amiga accelerator with "real cpu". I can build it in a week. Manipulating the market as an only Amiga developer is easy, but that is about to change :)

Offline mrmoonlightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »
Hi Majsta' you stay with it my friend I for one would love to see the Amiga 600,the under dog make it to the top of the tree because that really would be some thing, here's hoping   my friend very best wishes Brian and thanks for letting everyone know.
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline magnetic

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »
Quote from: majsta;770158

Let's answer few questions now:

Phoenix core will be sent to all Vampire 600 users. Problem was in the FPGA I used because it is too small, only 8K LE and that was the only reason why apollo-team had to slowdown to shrink each part of the code. Performance, I have the values but let's keep that as a surprise, let's say that A600 will be your primary Amiga :)

Core based on TG68(without cache) with lot more memory is easy to build, maybe half an hour but I stopped development of that core waiting for Phoenix. Also because thunderstorms in my city I have lost most of my equipment and need lot of time to recover to start work on the project again. Let's say that my USB blaster cable died and that I repaired it using parts from broken A600 motherboard, amazing :)

Reset bug is the real problem, and as much I tried to solved it with the code I didn't resolve the problem. It can't be solved on that version of Vampire just because I made a mistake in designing it. At the time I didn't know the fact that Amiga can perform reset by using keyboard keys(soft reset), imagine :) If I had that info i could fix that problem easily. So now I was thinking to redesign the board but then that will not be fair for the ppl who have first version.  

Majsta

It would be very valuable for current users to use the .1 core with more ram. After I flashed to 1.0 core for testing (im getting a review of the board together) I tried to install os 3.1 onto a drive installer crashes. So i'm probably going to flash back to .1 core. I really really need the 020 and ram how long is it before Phoenix is ready?  Why is it that the 1.0 core has troubles because the .1 core worked fine for me with almost everything I tried. *(allthough exiting Octamed 5 for some reason froze the amiga like 2 in 10 times) Sucks about the reset bug, but no big deal as amigas boot in seconds :) But kind of weird not to be able to do the 3 finger salute! btw I really enjoy reading your posts. i sent a link to some admin friends about your site getting hacked and they got the biggest kick out of it!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
interesting to know that there was such high a demand. even though its rather expectable.

Offline biggun

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
Hi Igor,

thanks for the kind words.

Quote from: majsta;770158

You are right - getting the core to 100% work in the small FPGA - was a real challange.
We did spend quite some time on this. :-/

The planned release of the Core is August.
And we so far all looks good that we will be able to launch as planned.

The performance looks very promising - our sniff tests indicate roughly a
performance of 10 times of a 68030 @ 50 MHz system.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
Well, that is quite something. That'll probably run Quake!

And at the end of this work, you have a space-reduced 68k core with high performance as well.

I'm sure that when an A500/A1000 replacement 68k is made using this, that it will be very popular.

Take your time to get it right!  And I think you are doing the right thing in not shouting too much about it up front.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
Using an FPGA version with big space, would be great for power user market and betatesting, I hope those will exist.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline biggun

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Quote from: Jose;770254
Using an FPGA version with big space, would be great for power user market and betatesting, I hope those will exist.

The "power" version is here.
The card is currently in testing.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
@biggun

Awesome. I'd be interested in something futureproof, that could also include the SAGA chipset and more stuff..
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
FPGA Arcade ..? :P

Sorry, it's just that expanding existing hardware at some point comes point of diminishing returns. And in essence will be a super computer with a I/O bus called Amiga motherboard. ;)

Offline biggun

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
Quote from: freqmax;770262
And in essence will be a super computer with a I/O bus called Amiga motherboard. ;)

Yes.

Its a crazy as having a Ferrari in the USA, right?
A fast car in a country with a speed limit around 80 miles.
But you know what, there are many people enjoying a Ferrari still.

Offline magnetic

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Quote from: biggun;770263
Yes.

Its a crazy as having a Ferrari in the USA, right?
A fast car in a country with a speed limit around 80 miles.
But you know what, there are many people enjoying a Ferrari still.

HAHAH in LA alot of ferraris and super cars with nowhere to drive them. Especially when LA is traffic 80% of the time. And the avg speed limit in usa is no where near 80 more like 60 (a mean of alot of 55limit states and 65 limit)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline magnetic

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 04, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
Quote from: biggun;770234
Hi Igor,

The performance looks very promising - our sniff tests indicate roughly a
performance of 10 times of a 68030 @ 50 MHz system.

Wow! that is just amazing. I cant wait. How will the stability be? Also will it emulate an MMU and FPU as certain software that im trying to use requires one or both of these?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz