Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos II vs AmigaOne  (Read 7753 times)

Description:

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
Re: Pegasos II vs AmigaOne
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2004, 02:33:26 PM »
@rayt

That may be what they say there, however it is at odds greatly with how BBRV has conducted himself on this site, and others.

@bloodline
Genesi was never part of this community, they were competing with this community trying to draw off users to thier own community.Now that they have done that about as much as they are able they are off on thier merry way.In fact your very attitude evidenced by your derogitive "BAF" shows just how effective that campaign has been.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2004, 02:38:16 PM »
Oh look.

Trolling and flames.

Hmmm, I haven't seen this type of thing before. Not ever. Please continue. It just never gets old!

:-x

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2004, 03:03:25 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Yup, The BAF's can pat themselves on the back and feel happy that the only company to actually put any money into the Amiga Market has decided to leave.

To all of you, I send great big well done!

Who exactly you are refering to when you say BAFs, are you talking about the handful of extremists, or are you talking about those who have chosen the option brought forward by Eyetech/Hyperion under the name of "Amiga" i.e. Current and prospective AmigaOne/OS4 users?

If it's the latter, then I think you've totally missed the point of choice and you are out of line.  Should everyone have bought a peg just because they were there?

To me it seems that Genesi left for the most basic of business reasons, there just wasn't enough sales around here to justify staying in this market.

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »
Ok, not trying to bash with a sledgehammer here but if OS4 was released at the same time as MorphOS i think the majority of current Morph users would have picked OS4....

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline Velcro_SP

• Show only replies by Velcro_SP
    • http://linux.tc3net.com/daclmi/
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 03:31:39 PM »
I have a Peg1 but I think I can still respond to this question. I like my Pegasos and think it is the winner of your comparison by default (among other reasons)  because of MorphOS.  MorphOS has reached a reasonable level of functionality and has working games and apps and current development. MorphOS puts the "fun" in "functionality." Conversely the AmigaOne and OS4... I am not going to criticize it except to say that you see its proponents call OS4 "soon to be released" and so on. They've been saying this for three years but that aside, Pegasos wins by default.

Let OS4 be released and then we can compare again. Maybe then OS4 will be superduper "bulletproof" thoroughly betatested version its proponents claim. I have a more pessimistic view, but that's not my thing to criticize OS4. I wish them luck because its an alternative OS and sort of a "sister OS" to MorphOS. But no-one can argue with the fact that right now MorphOS makes Pegasos the best choice for Amigans, if you define Amigans as people who have historically used the Amiga 68K or PPC-accelerator-carded line of computers  and who like to run Amiga programs.

If you define Amigans as people who support only Amiga Inc. and its partners and buy only computers branded with the Amiga trademark then I guess AmigaOne wins even though OS4 hasn't been released yet.

Now if you mean "I am not asking about MorphOS or OS4, I just asked whether the hardware of AmigaOne or Pegasos2 is better," that's another question. Pegasos is developed by bPlan, who have a long long history in the Amiga community and introduced the PPC accelerator cards and made the largest efforts of anybody to keep the  platform alive in the middle and late nineties. So I find that that is a real plus that makes the Pegasos better for Amigans. Additionally I have seen the AmigaOne demonstrated and was not impressed at all. It ran a clunky version of Linux, didn't have any sound, and used UAE to run some Scala presentation and display large windowed grids of icons at slow speed. I am sorry if AmigaOne fans don't like me for saying this but it is true to what I saw and I am entitled to my opinion.

In its favor though I would say that AmigaOne benefits from having a bigger company MAI behind it. MAI is bigger than Genesi, so maybe they can put more money into AmigaOne development BUT this is is not evident yet from what I have seen.  As far as I am concerned Pegasos is superior hardware and it is a nice small microATX form factor and the G3 version is very low wattage and saves you money on your power bill, whereas I recall reports (including one from Alan Redhouse of Amiga Inc. partner Eyetech) that people had to buy bigger fans because the AmigaOne was overheating.  

Maybe I'll get screamed at, but that's my opinion and I think I have backed it up rationally: Pegasos is better.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2004, 03:39:50 PM »
lets try to keep this thread friendly please. If you have a different view to someone else thats fine, but dont go trying to impose your view on others, it will never work. The bottom line is think before you post, I have faith in you guys to be mature and keep this thread from turning into another flame war.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2004, 03:40:56 PM »
Pegasos II.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »

Ok, not trying to bash with a sledgehammer here but if OS4 was released at the same time as MorphOS i think the majority of current Morph users would have picked OS4....

Could be. But there is still price issue and MorphOS 1.4 is powerful OS already.

(Edited my posting)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2004, 03:54:20 PM »
I think, as many people have mentioned in the past, that judgement should be reserved until OS4 is out.

And, it will always be a case of each to his own. Rather than being a case of which is 'better', it should be a case of which suits *you* better.
I like Amigas

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2004, 04:01:47 PM »
y Cyberus on 2004/2/1 15:54:20

I think, as many people have mentioned in the past, that judgement should be reserved until OS4 is out.

And, it will always be a case of each to his own. Rather than being a case of which is 'better', it should be a case of which suits *you* better.

Makes Perfect sense to me.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2004, 04:10:46 PM »
Pegasos II vs AmigaOne.... :roll:

:flame:  :destroy:

I'll let you know ...... real soon....    :-P  .... as if.

---------------
redfox

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2004, 05:45:56 PM »
I ain't gonna buy anything yet (no money :boohoo: )
But as long as OS4 isn't released yet, I'd like to buy a Pegasos 2 I think
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2004, 05:46:41 PM »

restore2003 wrote:

If QNX were also available at the same time, I would choose it :-D

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2004, 07:03:30 PM »
Well. If I had got OS4 when I was willign to purchase Aone (and prepaid the os).. But at this point I'm not spending a cent to them until I see it full deatured and having solid development (including new Apps) and considerable larger user base. At the moment, to me it's still too much half-baked project to be considerd usefull and worth the money spend. I know some people see it differently and I'm not going to stop them havign these systems.. But for me, it's not there yet.

(edit)
Concerning Pegasos II ... It's not perfect either, but I have used for my daily networkig needs... On some (e-mail) it's better than windowse-PC, on others (Web) it's not.. But I can use VNC to connect  my PC so I'll have it's browsers & other tools available by just switching to another screen on MorphOS. And on some issues (configurability/usability) it's just so much better than my PC..

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 01, 2004, 09:39:27 PM »

BouncingAyatollah wrote:
:lol: