Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using C64 Core on MiniMig boards.  (Read 10261 times)

Description:

Offline PalmTopic starter

• Show only replies by Palm
Using C64 Core on MiniMig boards.
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
Is it possible to load a C64 core onto the MiniMig board via the SD card ? If so, will the CPU be "emulated"/implemented in the core itself (making the onboard 68k cpu "disabled"/unused ?

Is the MiniMIg board capable of running more than just a Amiga core ? E.g. Atari or other which uses 68K CPU.

Just curious, since I read that C-one can run C64 cores + minimig cores (with modifications). Having both Amiga and C64 on the same board would be supercool. Maybe a bootloader to choose core ? :)

Espen

Offline trekiej

Re: Using C64 Core on MiniMig boards.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »
I do not see why this would be impossible. The C64 is much smaller than an Amiga 500.
There is plenty of ram memory.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Illuwatar

• Show only replies by Illuwatar
    • http://www.illuwatar.se
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »
The question is basically that who would like to write the FPGA code? The MiniMig Spartan 3 should be enough to run a complete C64 class computer entirely off the FPGA (leaving the MC68000 idling). Any machine that is of Amiga 500 class using a 68000 CPU should be possible to implement too (early Apple and some Atari systems for example). Verlog/VHDL-gurus out there - start the coding...;-)

Offline boing4000

• Show only replies by boing4000
    • http://www.amigademo.de
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
I have thought about previously, I am pleased with my efforts, no progress has been made. The ROM's and the C64 Core should fit in the 400K gate Spartan3, but the alignment of the Minimig board and the PIC are somewhat complex.

Generally, any matching system on the Minimig to be set up. The limits are really only in the existing wiring and the space in the FPGA.
An Atari ST and C64 are (in my opinion) much simpler and "smaller" than the Amiga chipset.

Perhaps Jakub or anyone else find a solution :-)

(raw translation by google...)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
If the MinMig board is sold in even larger quantities, maybe more ppl see the interest to release C64 Cores for it aswell. It would be supercool if the MiniMig board could be released in a new version too, with much open design so that it can be added modules to it (e.g. busboards and stuff like that) so that 3rd parties can create whatever HW they want for it (and make the drivers ofcoz). That way, the MiniMig could be a more like a "open" board which has the ability to run MiniMig core _aswell_ as much other stuff.

E.g.:

1. Have option to insert own cards that holds chips. (e.g. a 6581 SID chip, 6510 CPU) for better c64 emulation etc

2. Open design that lets ppl create insertion-boards (although todays design is pretty open :)

3. Have the possibility to choose which FPGA to use (if they can be hot-swapped and pinouts are the same) to enable the owner of the board to run larger cores...if this is really necessary..i dunno...just emptying my mind here :-)

4. Maybe over-dimension things in the design to extend the lifespand of the board so that cores etc. which is made 2 years from now which might be 10x larger than todays, can be used too without making a new board.

Is it possible to have a jumper for the pic that tells the pic which core to use ? Or even better, a OSD which does this ? E.g you can have CORE1.BIN, CORE2.BIN...COREN.BIN on the SDIO card and by switching the jumper from 1 to 2, or from 2 to 3 it will load the corresponding core. That way you can add a ince display on the front of the minimig case which says which core is being used :-)

Can HDMI port be added ?

Are there any Linux cores which can be used on the MiniMig ?

I´ll stop here ... :-)

Espen

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
Since the Minimig v1.1 core was adapted to the C-On then perhaps the easier solution would be to try and adapty the C-One C64 core to the Minimig.

One thing I like about the C64 core on the C-One is that I have my Simons BASIC cartridge working in the expansion slot and a real C1571 floppy drive hooked up.   :-)

@ The Daddy:  This is one board that seriously needs a professional case with room for a PC power supply, slots at the back for the ports and access to the C64/VIC20 cartridge slot and the CF card.  I'm using an old PC tower at the moment with the side left off.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »
So, the question is:

Which board to go for. MiniMig or COne board. Whichever runs the most cores and has best development and is cheapest, will probably win the tug.

I for sure would like to have my two favourite machine in the same FPGA (c64+amiga500 ...or a1200 if possible in the future). I also want as much options as possible to connect all my legacy HW to it (drives, cartridges etc).

Of course, this is a wet dream, I hope for the best.

At the moment, I own a minimig. So I hope to see a clean and nice C64 core for it as soon as possible :-)
If that happens, what are the electrical possibilities to see functions added like expansion slots and IEC bus ? Does the FPGA has some pins I can pull this from if a C64 Core is made/adapted ?

Espen

Offline Illuwatar

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »
Maybe my 3.0 version of my MiniMig could be something - 8 MB SRAM and the yaqube ARM controller directly on the board (no more PIC). Already on MiniMig 2.0 there is a new pin header that allows direct access to the pins of the FPGA that goes to the video DAC. I could add more pin headers, but I need to know on what side/bus - memory or CPU? To keep signal integrity, a header with tight spacing should be used (like the one I have for the RGB pins). How many signals from the FPGA is actually needed for these add-ons?

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »

Illuwatar wrote:
The question is basically that who would like to write the FPGA code? The MiniMig Spartan 3 should be enough to run a complete C64 class computer entirely off the FPGA (leaving the MC68000 idling). Any machine that is of Amiga 500 class using a 68000 CPU should be possible to implement too (early Apple and some Atari systems for example). Verlog/VHDL-gurus out there - start the coding...;-)

Genesis/MegaDrive? Neo-geo? X68000? sun-1? SGI sparc 1000? :-)
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Hi Darrin,

@ The Daddy: This is one board that seriously needs a professional case with room for a PC power supply, slots at the back for the ports and access to the C64/VIC20 cartridge slot and the CF card. I'm using an old PC tower at the moment with the side left off.

Are you talking about the C-One? Do we know how many have been sold? I could give it a go :-)

Offline Illuwatar

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
If the custom chips needed to implement these are in par with the A500 OCS or less and if you are able to reverse-engineer them, then it should be possible.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
Mini-Mig, JTAG cable, and a good book could make for a good dev. board.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:09:05 AM »

TheDaddy wrote:
Hi Darrin,

Are you talking about the C-One? Do we know how many have been sold? I could give it a go :-)

I've no ideas on the numbers.  You'll have to ask Jens.  I don't think there were many produced and as the next step will be the Clone-A then I doubt any more will be.

Chances are there's not a big enough market for you to make the effort.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:36 AM »
Regarding MiniMig ITX V3.0
----------------------

* Will it still feature the MiniITX 17x17 form factor ?
* WIll the ports on the back have the same positions as on
the 2.0 board ?
* Is it possible to create addon-cards/daughterboard for 2.0 which lets the 2.0 owners have 3.0 options if they want ?
* Will there be some kind of a trade-in deal for upgraders from 2.0->3.0 ?
* Is there a roadmap for 3.0 (and 4.0 ?) or a spec-list ready ?

I believe there are many wishes for what to add to the 3.0 board. Let the duscussion flow here a bit so that as much cool stuff is added to the 3.0 mobo as possible. The more the merrier :)

Regs
Espen

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
@everyone

Please make a C64 core for the Minimig.

It would be great! Have tohe choice of loading C64 or Amiga games!

The way I see it:

A C64 core
An Atari ST core
A ZX Spectrum core

This would be absolutely awesome!

Imagine how many people you can attract to the Minimig :-)