Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 Clockport + Silver Surfer problems  (Read 3146 times)

Description:

Offline patrik

Re: A500 Clockport + Silver Surfer problems
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 08, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »
@cpfuture:
I bought the same equipment about a year ago with the same result - it doesnt work. I have fitted the Silver Surfer on clockport 0 in "the only way which it can fit without modifying the A500 case".

Also tried all available drivers to no avail.

Tried the Silver Surfer in an A1200 where it worked, so it doesn't seem like I have attached it the wrong way in the A500.

I actually also emailed Jens, asking if the Silver Surfer is supposed to work with the A500 clockport adapter, but never got a reply.

Found the stuff laying around today and googled to see if someone else had this issue and found this old thread.

Would be glad if someone could confirm wether or not it is supposed to work in the A500 with this clockport adapter.

/Patrik

Offline cpfutureTopic starter

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
Hi Patrik,

Well, I'm afraid that I haven't done anything with the Silver Surfer and clock port since my last post, but it's interesting to hear you've been having the same problem. I still have to try and test the Silver Surfer out on my A1200 one day to rule out a problem with it.

Offline patrik

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
It is a bit strange that the Individual Computers webpage for the SilverSurfer doesn't say that it works on the A500 clockport adapter. I mean, for example it is mentioned that it works on the A600 via an adapter and as the A500 clockport adapter is his own product, it would be strange not to mention it if it works.

The only place I have seen mentioning that the SilverSurfer should work with the A500 clockport adapter is on Vesalia - on the page with details for the clockport adapter.

Offline cpfutureTopic starter

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
Well, almost 5 years since the first post in this thread (my god, how time flies....) and I have finally found out why the Silver Surfer did not work with my A500. Apparently, the official Silver Surfer driver does not function on an A500! It actively looks for 'card.resource', which is obviously not present on an A500 (no PCMCIA slot).

Here's a very detailed and excellent blog posting about it, including a patched version of the driver that should work with the A500. It fixes the card.resource dependency and makes the driver 68000 compatible as well! (the original driver uses 68020 long branch instructions)

SilverSurfer patched for Amiga 500

I wish I had known this in 2007. It would have saved me the purchase of a Silver Surfer, two A500 clock adapters and a lot of wasted time.... but then again, that's all part of the game in this crazy hobby. Vesalia advertised the A500 clock port adapter as compatible with the Silver Surfer, which is why I (and I assume several others) have purchased these devices for the purpose of having a fast serial port on our A500.

I don't need a Silver Surfer anymore, so it doesn't affect me, but it's good news that this incompatibility seems to have been fixed!! Oh and the rest of the blog is a must read as well!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:54:09 AM by cpfuture »