Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Look what I just found in a bin on the way home :)  (Read 12953 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Look what I just found in a bin on the way home :)
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:49 AM »
not much into hardware yet you collect an atari from a bin? a pair of bottles to get some change would be more reasonable. though it was some solid piece, simple beatuiful design, no damn psu hanging around, just power cord, good moody color, better than any wedge amiga ive seen except maybe for 600. close run.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;623938
The biggest Apple zealot on A.org hasn't even got an ipad - what a hypocrite! ;)

Matt's no apple zealot. He has a perfectly reasonable approach to owning their stuff. A real zealot buys stuff purely because it's there and Mr. Jobbs tells them they need it, whether it's really useful or not.

Also, I don't recall the last time Matt posted anything resembling a one-line bit of pro-apple trollbait on how some article cited their latest toy as the greatest thing ever.
int p; // A

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:13 AM »
Sorry Karlos you have given me a lot to think about :hammer:

I always thought it was one way or the other with Apple. Completely obsessed with anything Apple or simply confused about all things Apple.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;623956
Matt's no apple zealot. He has a perfectly reasonable approach to owning their stuff. A real zealot buys stuff purely because it's there and Mr. Jobbs tells them they need it, whether it's really useful or not.

Also, I don't recall the last time Matt posted anything resembling a one-line bit of pro-apple trollbait on how some article cited their latest toy as the greatest thing ever.

Indeed, the title of most devout Apple zealot on a.org belongs to anyone who tells you it's your own fault that Apple knowingly sold you broken hardware!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;623889
This is 1040F, the 1040FM is the one with a TV modulator :)

Ah I see. I think I have a 1040FM in the loft which is why I was sure it used RF

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;623962
Sorry Karlos you have given me a lot to think about :hammer:

I always thought it was one way or the other with Apple. Completely obsessed with anything Apple or simply confused about all things Apple.
:)

I probably did transfer a bit of my Amiga love to Apple... But I'm generally quite positive about most technology now, and with windows7 even MicroSoft have got their OS act together (though when I tried it, I am so used to XP and OSX that I couldn't find anything), in fact Windows7 is basically your only real option if you want to play desktop computer games.

If fact there are two things that REALLY P*SS ME OFF about apple, but since these topic quite rightly don't show up on A.org you never see them :) Since this is my thread I will take a moment to mention them:

CoreGraphic API, it's a pretty good graphics framework... Which abstracts the concepts and keeps a format and hardware agnostic view of the world... I'll even overlook the fact it has no getPixel()/setPixel() functions, the concept of the pixel is very specific and CG is higher level than that... What really winds me up is that the origin is in the bottom left corner... Despite the rest of the system having the origin in the proper place (Top Left)... I spent days trying to figure out that "bug". There is no excuse for this and I'm not happy about it. :(

The second point is more general... 4 years ago I was pretty convinced we would all be using SSDs in our computers by now, you will probably find me saying something like that on this very forum if you search my past posts... But as of today all my laptops have WeaternDigital 500GB to 750GB hard drives in them!?!? What gives? One word, Apple... Since they pay upfront for entire production runs of Flash chips, the rest of the world has to wait. So SSDs of any decent size are both rare and expensive, which means less people buy them which means less are made which means they stay rare and expensive... I'm not happy about that.

-edit- actually, I have another annoyance with apple... Single user accounts in iOS, I know the average iPhone/iPad user would be totally confused by the concept of a "user account"... But there are times when I give my iPhone to someone to play on an App, and it would be nice to not give them access to my Email/phone/pr0n stash... :-/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:54:06 AM by bloodline »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 08:55:12 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;624031

The second point is more general... 4 years ago I was pretty convinced we would all be using SSDs in our computers by now, you will probably find me saying something like that on this very forum if you search my past posts... But as of today all my laptops have WeaternDigital 500GB to 750GB hard drives in them!?!? What gives? One word, Apple... Since they pay upfront for entire production runs of Flash chips, the rest of the world has to wait. So SSDs of any decent size are both rare and expensive, which means less people buy them which means less are made which means they stay rare and expensive... I'm not happy about that.

That my be true but it's only half of it. I think i read a couple of years ago an argument about using SSDs instead of conventional HDs. The cons are faster load times of big apps like the os itself. But they also said SSDs would be unreliable in the long run as they wear out quicker than a normal hd. My windows 7 loads up after about 45-60 seconds and i think it would be way cool to see it load faster.

Maybe fantasizing too much but as i write this i see my 4gb memory stick in my laptop. Why would it be so hard to put one of these preinstalled in new pcs and use it as a kind of SSD and maybe using a conventional hd alongside it for bigger stuff? I don't get how SSDs cost hundreds of dollars when i can buy a generic usb stick for $5.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
Interesting point on SSD's.

I'm a bit disappointed with SSD tech so far tbh, my macbook air has one and its not that speedy, capacity is a real problem too, when you have a dual boot OSX-Win7 system.

I dont get the anti-apple vibe on here?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »
Quote from: coldfish;624039

I'm a bit disappointed with SSD tech so far tbh, my macbook air has one and its not that speedy, capacity is a real problem too, when you have a dual boot OSX-Win7 system.

I didn't know they were available on laptops :)

Maybe you could tell me how much faster a SSD is when inside a pc :)

What capacity is it? And what is it used for? :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:17:53 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;623879
Nice find, though I hope it's functional.

What do you think resulted in the eviction of the machine above ;)

If only someone round here would leave a Falcon 030 outside my place.

No doubt, a Falcon or TT would be the bomb!!!

So is this an ST or STe? If it's an STe you can play Pac Man on E's which was by far one of the best Pac Man clones ever!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;624042
No doubt, a Falcon or TT would be the bomb!!!

So is this an ST or STe? If it's an STe you can play Pac Man on E's which was by far one of the best Pac Man clones ever!
This is a 1040F... Basically the lamest of the 1Mb STs :-/

Offline psxphill

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;623905
All good stuff, I'm thinking about making an AtariVideo->AmigaRGB convertor as I already have an AmigaRGB->Scart connector :)

I'm converting everything to scart, including my 15khz monitors.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;624040
I didn't know they were available on laptops :)

Maybe you could tell me how much faster a SSD is when inside a pc :)

What capacity is it? And what is it used for? :)

Here's a review:

http://www.marco.org/1415382959

@all, sry about offtopic

Offline nicholas

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
Quote from: coldfish;624039

I think it's more a case of anti-cult mentality rather than anti-Apple.

I like OSX for the most part, it gets on my nerves in many ways though, as do Linux and Amiga OS and I also like them.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
Should have left it in the bin...:D

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 23, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;624055
Should have left it in the bin...:D
You sound like my girlfriend... ;)