Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting AROS Vision to run in Win-UAE  (Read 6564 times)

Description:

Offline StarrunnerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Starrunner
Getting AROS Vision to run in Win-UAE
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:54:25 AM »
I seem unable to get AROS Vision to run inside of Win-UAE.  I tried following the setup steps for it from the AROS Vision page, but it just sits there and mocks me by doing nothing.  Any tips?  Do I need smacked upside the head?  Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
Re: Getting AROS Vision to run in Win-UAE
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »
Quote from: Starrunner;770401
I seem unable to get AROS Vision to run inside of Win-UAE. I tried following the setup steps for it from the AROS Vision page, but it just sits there and mocks me by doing nothing. Any tips? Do I need smacked upside the head? Any thoughts appreciated.
Me too!  Help!!!

Offline Havie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
If I choose 3.1 rom it loads up stuff in through the cli and then I get a wavy yellow screen...

if I use AROS replacement rom I just get a blank screen.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
you need to reference aros roms in your configuration. they which should be included somewhere with the distribution. there are two files:
main rom file - aros-amiga-m68k-rom.bin
and extended rom file - aros-amiga-m68k-ext.bin

Offline Havie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »
Ah - that would explain the AROS rom issue.

I have now got it to boot with 3.1 by removing all the DOS drivers but strangley WINUAE keeps resetting the memory allocated?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
if you want to softboot from amiga roms, you can.but you need to edit the aros startup sequence.

include:

boot/amiga/AROSBootstrap ROM boot/amiga/aros.hunk.gz

at tha beginnimg of the s-s, before setpatch
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:02:25 AM by wawrzon »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Quote from: Starrunner;770401
I seem unable to get AROS Vision to run inside of Win-UAE.  I tried following the setup steps for it from the AROS Vision page, but it just sits there and mocks me by doing nothing.  Any tips?  Do I need smacked upside the head?  Any thoughts appreciated.

I might know the problem...

I tried to install it on a older notebook but only got a black screen and just solved it. I use it on a notebook with 1280x720 and it seems that it not boots if that screenmode is not supported.

Solution: Delete screenmode.prefs

Sys:Prefs/env-archive/sys

then boot it and select a new screenmode, f.e. 1024x768. Then reboot and it should work

you can reach screenmode prefs in menu (rightclick)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:48:40 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
Quote from: Havie;770413
If I choose 3.1 rom it loads up stuff in through the cli and then I get a wavy yellow screen...

if I use AROS replacement rom I just get a blank screen.

I had setup this manual. It seems that it is partly not up-to-date now (I did it some time ago) but it could give at least hints

http://www.aros-platform.de/html/winuae_config.html

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
if there is no mouse pointer visible, set hardware sprite emulation on.

Offline Havie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
Got it working ok - still booting 3.1 but not edited startup sequence.  Once it began to boot (following deletion of DOS stuff) it locked into an infiinte reboot.  Then I was able to set the memory correctly and it booted.  Once I'd set the RTG memory to 64meg all was fine.  Didn't seem to like more than this though.

Will continue to play around with it and the AROS replacement rom.

This set up looiks like a likely replacement for my programming set up (which I messed up trying to install Blitz 3.5 and ADF my Flappy Bird game).

One problem I have had is I can't run AB3DII from WHDload (I have a key registered to me) as is comes up with an error - Can't allocate Expmem.  Any ideas?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
what do you mean with booting 3.1? if you are not booting with aros roms and neither load aros rom after booting with 3.1 then you are still running aos. but possibly aros vision startup-sequence already contains the line i have posted.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
Quote from: Havie;770433
Got it working ok - still booting 3.1 but not edited startup sequence.  Once it began to boot (following deletion of DOS stuff) it locked into an infiinte reboot.  Then I was able to set the memory correctly and it booted.  Once I'd set the RTG memory to 64meg all was fine.  Didn't seem to like more than this though.

Will continue to play around with it and the AROS replacement rom.

This set up looiks like a likely replacement for my programming set up (which I messed up trying to install Blitz 3.5 and ADF my Flappy Bird game).

One problem I have had is I can't run AB3DII from WHDload (I have a key registered to me) as is comes up with an error - Can't allocate Expmem.  Any ideas?

I use much more RAM than 64 MB so it should have no problem. Use rom replacements how Wawa said. I am even surprised that it boots with original roms at all but it will not work fully then. WHDLoad works perfectly, you need the key in S and the roms from f.e. Amigaforever

Description here:
http://www.aros-platform.de/html/howto.html

Offline Havie

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Definietly booting with a 3.1 rom is this wrong?  Does AROS only work properly with AROS rom as it seems ok to me?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
Quote from: Havie;770438
Definietly booting with a 3.1 rom is this wrong?  Does AROS only work properly with AROS rom as it seems ok to me?

I cannot say if it works properly with 3.1. Rom but it is designed for Aros rom

Offline Havie

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
Have located AROS rom and ext  in Boot but when I choose these roms it doesn't boot!:confused:

I was under the impression that the AROS rom was a replacement for the Amiga rom and that AROS Vision is a combination of Wanderer etc. and is is a replacement for Workbench (and the rom didn't matter too much?).