Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Forever 6.0 HD?  (Read 883 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Amiga Forever 6.0 HD?
« on: June 15, 2005, 09:28:27 PM »
This has prolly been asked before, but I can't find a thread with any info.

Can I install the Linux bootable side of Amiga Forever 6 on my HD so I don't have to boot off the damn CD everytime, and wait years for the system to respond?

If so, HOW??
This will determine if I buy the thing or not.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Thomas

Re: Amiga Forever 6.0 HD?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 03:50:53 PM »

AF6 is meant to be used with Windows. The Knoppix part is only a goody. However, if you are familiar with Knoppix, you can probably install it on HDD.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline altivo

• Show only replies by altivo
    • http://altivo.dreamwidth.org/
Re: Amiga Forever 6.0 HD?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 06:05:12 PM »
If your normal operating environment is Windows 98 or later, then you can install the AF version of WinUAE, complete with supporting files, onto your HD and start it from Windows any time.

If your normal operating environment is Linux, you can install the Linux version of UAE and either copy the supporting files from the CD or let them be loaded from the CD (adjust the configuration in .uaerc appropriately.)

I can't say what the answer is for Mac systems.

Yes, the CD is directly bootable on some hardware. It doesn't boot on my Intel PC, though, apparently because of some deficiency in Knoppix Linux with respect to my hardware. Since I already run Slackware, I just installed UAE on my Slackware and run it from there, letting it find its needed files on the CD.

The value of the Amiga Forever CD, in my opinion, is largely in the Amiga files (kickstart images, utilities, etc.) that are all provided together, conveniently in one place, rather than in the bootable Knoppix environment.