Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The NEW A.Org  (Read 8178 times)

Description:

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 19, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;455078
I must admit I don't particularly like the new site either!  Just MHO.

TrevorD
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but short of "make it what it was" -- which everyone will just have to get over -- how exactly could we make it better, or what exactly bothers you?

See, that's the thing I don't think people get.  It's not enough to bitch and say "I don't like it" without trying to constructively offer a way to fix it.  All I ask is that you read what's already been posted for the to do list before repeating the same thing that's already been said.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »
I've been through a similar "upgrade" in another longstanding forum.  As in that one I see now new functionality here. Are there any improvements at all?  Is it just change for changes sake?

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;455081
I've been through a similar "upgrade" in another longstanding forum.  As in that one I see now new functionality here. Are there any improvements at all?  Is it just change for changes sake?

It's change that was necessary.

If you haven't follwed the threads that explained it all you won't understand.

Anyway, even though it was a forced move the new site does have a lot more modern features. Just spend some time exploring and you shall see.

Offline AJCopland

The NEW A.Org
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble navigating around but I think that's just because the layout and things are a bit different.

Overall I'm really happy with the new look and once I'm over the teething troubles I think it'll be better than the old site :)
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
Had to double check the URL to make sure i was at the correct place :)
Will take a while getting use to navigating the site but i do like the new look so far, well done guys.

Offline TNovosel

• Show only replies by TNovosel
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks for new amiga.org, my favorite Amiga portal!!!
A4000PPC,A1200PPCx2,A1240,A1230x2,A500x4,MacMini+MOS

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2009, 09:01:54 AM »
Sorry Wayne, perhaps I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud, but I find the new site confusing and difficult to navigate around.  I personally preferred the layout of the old site but I accept that this might just be due to my familiarity with the previous format.  I have read all the threads and I appreciate the reaon for the change but I'm just not keen on the new format.  However, like most people I have two choices; live with the new format and get used to the layout or go elswhere for my Amiga fix.

Anyway I'm sure I will get used to it in time? ;-)

TrevorD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:11:06 AM by TrevorDick »
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
Hi,

It's shaping up...

But it would be good (as some others have mentioned) if there was a little less 'white-space' - particularly above and below the horizontal 'break-bars' between the "Recent Threads".

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
@Trevor.

Trust me.  The Amiga community has been forced to use Xoops on all three of the "big" sites for so many years that most of you simply got overly comfortable with it.

Xoops is, and always was a very simplistic package which did a lot of things, but did absoluntely none of them very well at all.  It -- like other CMS's of it's era -- tries to be too many things for too many people

Unfortunately Xoops is -- in no doubts -- a dying product, which means that some (like AW) might have to stick with their custom 1.x version forever while others will meet up with a dead end which drives them as batty as it did me.

vBulletin, which has been in production almost as long, is first, and foremost, a great forums package with features that Xoops has never even thought of.  It also has a thriving community which has adapted it to do just about everything, meaning GREAT forum package, good at everything else.

You just have to give us some time to build it, and give it some time to grow on you to cover up the stank of what was Xoops.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
I can't explain it exactly, I don't know if it's the color scheme or what but so far I just don't like it. The old amiga.org sort of felt like you were using an interesting content rich Amiga and this one makes me feel like I'm using a cold empty unfriendly microsloth pee see. It just doesn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling but hopefully it will improve.
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
Quote from: JC;455324
I can't explain it exactly, I don't know if it's the color scheme or what but so far I just don't like it. The old amiga.org sort of felt like you were using an interesting content rich Amiga and this one makes me feel like I'm using a cold empty unfriendly microsloth pee see. It just doesn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling but hopefully it will improve.
I respect that, but can only offer "it is what it is"...

I'm sure in 8 years, you'll pretty much feel the same way about this one.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Gibbersan

• Show only replies by Gibbersan
Re: The NEW A.Org
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
It'll just take some people a little time to get used to the new look of the website.  As for me, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I know I haven't posted much in the past, but I'm glad I've stuck around.
A4000D - A1200 - WinUAE

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
I like the new changes (...uh, except the 2.0+ topaz). I'm also amazed by how smoothly the switch-over went. Great work, Wayne.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:37:27 PM by mr_a500 »

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
Wow! Nice work, Wayne! Thanks for all the hard work you've put in. Although things look differently, it still has the spirit of the old A.org (for me at least).

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »
Quote from: paolone;455056
The more I look at this site, the more I like it. Great job. But please, add an option to choose between "avatar and user info in a row" and "avatar and user info in a little left column", because I always found the first one (that's the current unique choice) very annoying when reading messages one after the other. Thank you! =)

Only thing I would suggest is the recent 10 post go on the left side since that is the first thing we look at (reading left to right).
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;455310
@Trevor.

Trust me.  The Amiga community has been forced to use Xoops on all three of the "big" sites for so many years that most of you simply got overly comfortable with it.

You are probably right.  The more I use the site the more I am getting used to it.  Old dogs & new tricks perhaps?  One thing I'm not keen on though is the amiga.org retro style logo.  I know it's a blown up amiga font but it looks more akin to a retro 8-bit C64 than the revolutionary Amiga that replaced it. Again just MHO.

TrevorD
Supporting all Amiga flavours