Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wing Commander Special Missions for Amiga?  (Read 951 times)

Description:

Offline RudeiTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rudei
Wing Commander Special Missions for Amiga?
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi all,

as per subject line.  I was playing Wing Commander at the weekend on my A1200/030/128.  The game flies compared to when I first had it on my A500.  What was weird though, I had obviously saved games to my original game disks (how foolish I was at 13.)  Strange playing games with nicknames from 1992!!!!!  Like a trip back in time :-)

Just wondered, did the Secret Missions disk(s) ever get released?  I know there was never an A1200 specific version per se, but there was a CD32 version.

Anyone played the CD32 version here?  Is it any good?  How is the music/graphics?  Is there anything different (missions etc.)

Cheers in advance,
Rude!
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline AmiKit

Re: Wing Commander Special Missions for Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
The CD32 version has 256 colors compared to the floppy version. It was only released as part of the Dangerous Streets/Wing Commander compilation.
eBay link

Offline RudeiTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »
@AmiKit

Thanks - will it run on an A1200 with a Q-Drive or does it require the planar-to-chunky thingie that only the CD32 has?

Rude!
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
Rudei, yes I have been playing the cd43 version very happily on my 1200 with 030@50 and it runs great..IMHO bettr than the DOS version of its day :-D There's a great how to thread on lemonamiga.com ...don't have the linky right now but just do a quick saerch & it'll come up..

as for the special missions..I would love to have them if they exist for the Miggy too....
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »
Wing commander is a great game and it is working quite well on my Minimig too.
But i still get gray hair with the minefields  :-)
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
Cd32 Wing Commander is pretty good actually I have pretty much every version of this game, and in the context of all those releases it'd good. On an 030 machine with the utility that allows you to run it, it's quite good.
Sound is the best of any version. No wierd FM synthesis that was the trademark of dos games. You get Amiga MOD style music where a drum hit sounds like a drum hit, not a piece of aluminum foil rubbed on a tile floor.

the only thing I miss are the speech packs? It's a cd game. why no speech pack as standard?

The 3do version of Wing Commander 3 was quite good too if you're a fan of the seires.

Runs nice on an SX-1 equipped cd32, even the bare cd32 was playable. I give the SuperNintendo version a slightly higer grade but it had great pixel scaling capabiliies, great color but the screen mode appear to have less overall pixels and falls short on the speed and art direction.

Remember back in the day, you needed a HEFTY tricked out 386dx33 486DX to play this thing well.

Sadly the only thing we get today is a pedestrian Xbox live Arcade game that capitalizes on the name but really misses the boat in every regard, except nostalgia.
Pretty wild when you conider this was such a game changing killer app for the PC. When it came to the Amiga vs. PC p*ssing contest...How many PC dorks used the "Amiga doesn't have anything like Wing Commander" trump card? I lost count. Those dudes were amazed by the simplicity of an Amiga 1000 and it's ability to print,access a floppy drive be online connected to a BBS, and run Deluxe Paint with just 2 megs of ram. The PC coudnlt do this.

Amazing with the technological advancements these days no one has tied to produce a space opera- fighter ship combat game sim for XBOX360 or PS3. I'm stuck playing Battlestar Galactica for XBOX, Jedi Starfighter, and Rebel Assult for the Game cube.