Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AGA games: Is it worth getting an A1200?  (Read 4106 times)

Description:

Offline HellCoder

• Show only replies by HellCoder
    • http://elasticore.nl
Re: AGA games: Is it worth getting an A1200?
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 06:24:09 AM »
Although you mentioned AGA for games, if you look beyond the games and like the demo scene than you should definitely get it!

Offline Angus

• Show only replies by Angus
    • http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »

Flashlab wrote:

"Hey idiot! Pass me drink!!"

:)

I can totally see where Flaslab is coming from, although I think its worth bearing in mind the following:

Given the existence of WHDLoad, IMHO about the most compatible Amiga you can get for games is a 1200, with a hard drive, and an 030 ideally with access to a CD.

Also AGA versions are generally the preferred version of a game - but not always!

There are some very good AGA only games, the ones that come to mind are:

Alien Breed 3D
Aladdin
Banshee
Guardian
James Pond 3
Subwar 2050
Star Crusader
T-Zero
TFX
Xtreme Racing

and IMHO you would not want to go near the ECS version of UFO and Wing Commander which are both close to profound on AGA/CD32.    :)

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
Hi,
get an A1200 and an A1000 for old non natively compatible OCS games and demos  ;-).
The A1200 got a nice PCMCIA port quite good to transfert back ADF to floppy  :-D
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 09:29:16 AM »
If you just want to play Amiga-games and already have an A500, you're not missing a lot by not having an A1200.  

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
@Hyperspeed

ClickBOOM's Quake and Napalm both have screenmode requestors and are retargettable!

As far as I recall it, Napalm will behave rather bad if you run it in NTSC as far as I can remember. Why? Because the game is designed for PAL, 640*512 (and 320*256). I might be wrong here, since it was a couple of months ago I started it the last time, but as far as I can remember anything related to NTSC will do this game bad. Can't promise it, as of now, though. Have to check it out first.

@Laser

however some A1200 boot by default on NTSC and others by default on PAL, and of course all games are compatibles

I'd say that 90% or more of the games designed for the Amiga was designed with PAL in mind. And, I can ensure you that running games designed for PAL under NTSC isn't really always such a pleasant experience.

Many games might look like they have been designed for NTSC since quite often only the top 200 pixels have been used for displaying the graphics, but this  can be due to many others reasons than the game being NTSC compatible (they might have wanted to have less graphics on screen at once to increase performance, they might have ported the game from an NTSC machine and not bothered about adapting the graphics to make full use of the PAL screen, it might just look like NTSC but when running under NTSC some parts of the screen will be cropped and so on and so on).

I have been playing around quite much with running PAL Amiga games in NTSC 60Hz... and, the result have been nothing but disappointing. Graphical glitches, modules being played sounding really bad due to running too fast and/or having samples that will be cut since the music has been designed for being played in 50Hz, some title screens / loading screens being in pure PAL while the playing field being in NTSC which makes for a 'cut' experience. Every now and then things works rather excellent, but more often than not it doesn't. So, to say "and of course all games are compatibles" is just plain wrong.

But, yes, there are quite some US releases to be found out there... but, looking at the entire software library for the Amiga, they are clearly not in majority.

@leirbag28

.............ok all joking aside........seriosly...Slam Tilt Pinball is a darn fine game and really worth getting an A1200 alone for.....especially if you turn it into an arcade machine or simply play with friends........that increases the fun 10 fold!

I tend to agree. Slam Tilt Pinball is, according to me, the absolutely best 2D Pinball Game ever created for any system... and, if you are serious about playing the game and can't stand the DOS port, well, then you have got no other choice than getting hold of an PAL AGA Amiga.

Other AGA games that I really would not like to be without:

* Aladdin AGA (although it doesn't have perfect scroll)
* All New World Of Lemmings AGA
Brian The Lion AGA
Civilization AGA
James Pond AGA / CD32
* Gunbee F-99 AGA
Ishar: Legend Of The Fortress
Ishar 2: Messengers Of Doom
Ishar 3: The Seven Gates Of Infinity AGA
Simon The Sorcerer AGA / CD32
* Super Stardust AGA / CD32
UFO: Enemy Unknown AGA
* XTreme Racing AGA

* = Only for AGA machines

All in all, no, there's not really that many AGA titles that really makes me go hysterical... but, I would never like to be without AGA since what most AGA titles, that also exists in OCS/ECS form, has to offer is somewhat prettier graphics... and also because of the AGA exclusives.

And, of course, I could never do withouth being able to run Brilliance 2 in 256 colours. Ever.

:lol:
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
I read in an other post that sdyates has a 3000 and his signature says he also has an upgraded 2000. You can make perfect WHDLoad machines from those.

He will has to miss on some great AGA titles (and demos but that's not really my thing) mentioned here, but are these enough to justify getting a 1200? Bear in mind that to comfortably use WHDLoad he would also need an accelerator in the 1200 too...
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
@Flashlab

Well, if he finds it justified or not is for him to decide. Personally, I would never part with AGA and the least I can do is to try and explain why.

:-)

The fact that the A1200 he is looking for should be a NTSC one complicates things somewhat, and makes the whole affair quite a more expensive one than if being able to settle with a PAL A1200 (my latest A1200 + Blizzard 1230 MKIV + 16MB RAM + 30GB 2.5" IDE HD + 3C589D PCMCIA, which I assembled a couple of months ago, was not really more than €150 in the end, and while I can consider myself somewhat lucky, it didn't take me more than 3 days of active searching to find what I was looking for).

So, in the end I would say that it all comes down to what kind of deal he can find and what he wants to do with the machine in itself.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »

Total Chaos AGA is the worlds best strategy game,
and it needs an expanded AGA amiga.

There is your reason.
Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline sdyatesTopic starter

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »
I appreciate allt he comments. You guys have given me a lot to think about. I think its just a matter of time before I get an A1200.

I actually have a magnavox, but its ready for the junk heap :( served me well it did.

I guess the only other consideration is the power conversion. If both are switchable, I should focus on the NTSC version --> multisyncs over here for some reason have never heard of PAL. For me, I'd rather run PAL as it has more lines :)

I will keep my eyes open for an a1200 -- but if any one feels generous and wants to let one go for a real sweet price, I am willing to upgrade ;)

Oh, and the A3000 is a great machine with the ECS the only downfall. The speed is good. It's great as a work station. I am contemplating a prometheus board as per Amigakit.

Thanks again all.
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 01:15:51 PM »
If he has a RGB monitor, he should get a PAL 50 Hz A1200 and do the 60 Hz resistor trick (on aminet)  :-) then he will have a PAL+RGB 60 Hz machine  :rtfm:
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline sdyatesTopic starter

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »
but what about the 120 power connector we use in north america -- don't I need a different power adapter as well to use a PAL version?

CLS2086 wrote:
If he has a RGB monitor, he should get a PAL 50 Hz A1200 and do the 60 Hz resistor trick (on aminet)  :-) then he will have a PAL+RGB 60 Hz machine  :rtfm:
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline Spectrum75

• Show only replies by Spectrum75
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
Hi,

I dont know a lot about the power suplies that you use in the US, but I think that several of my PSU have a marking that says "50/60 Hz... 125~230 Volts"

...so they work anywhere on the world.

Anyone on the US can verify this ?

The connector to the mains outlet itself should not be a problem, you only need to buy one for the US on a hardware store (maybe 1 or 2 US $?) and screwdriver & scissors...

[Hope that helps, and please correct me if I'm wrong.]

Regards.

Offline charliestu

• Show only replies by charliestu
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 06:58:02 AM »
   You might wish to obtain a marrow-bone so that you can re-enact the early days of human discovery ...

IMO as someone who has had about 8 NEW 1200s in the past and has remaining now only A500 & CD32, there were in fact absolutely no reasons to buy A1200 FOR GAMING as all of the good-bad-great games were Amiga A500 (even pre A500+) programmes.

Fortunately I still have many boxes filled with air/my original Amiga game discs/my original Mag demo versions, BUT for about £29 the best Amiga (sadly) is the Cloanto Amiga Forever collection of CD-DVDs which will play etc on most post Win95 PC versions.

ALL of my HD Amigas crashed, whereas NONE of my 4 PCs since 1996 has ever crashed - facts is facts - PCs are reality/cheap, although I was/am in love with theory/too many that I have owned Amigas.

IMO all of the current PC etc games are rubbish, and I feel that best value/best games are via Cloanto Amiga emulator ...

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »
Ditto for Amiga Forever!!!
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »
if you are used to an a3000 with a vga monitor you will be dissapointed with an a1200 with anything but a large tv, or a scandoubler. there is a reason paople are always looking for them here.
i had a full a1200 setup with an nec3d monitor and i sold it to get my 3000. now i have a video card too and there is no looking back (ok there is some looking back, it was an amiga after all)
of course if i had my way (the old lady isnt reading this) i would have kept the 1200 and gotten a 600, 500, 4000 and maybe even a 100 and 2000 as well :-D
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 18, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
Anyone recommending an emulator over a real Amiga is gonna get electrodes attached to their nipples and 10,000 volts!

:griping:

Hey, the A3000's scandoubler/flicker-fixer... is it 8/8/8 on all guns? My EZ-VGA on the A1200 only gives me 16-Bit colour as opposed to 18-Bit AGA capability.

True, a big box Amiga - particularly with a GFX card is going to be nicer than a stock AGA system. Why not have both I say!

:-D