Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?  (Read 3501 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
Re: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 27, 2003, 04:16:12 AM »
We had Dune 2.

With Homeworld and Imperium Galactica, one has to take care of 3D positioning and tactics.

With Westwood Studio’s "Dune 2", it's only limited to 2D positing and tactics. It’s a lot closer to Westwood Studio's C&C- Generals.

We had 3D adventures like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder.

Thought they are RPG.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2003, 06:54:17 AM »

Hammer wrote:
Were is the Elite of the 21st century?

IF you want Elite style game play refer to
1. "X2- The Threat",
+ Developer: Egosoft,
+ Plan release date: 3rd/4th Quater 2003.

2. Freelancer
+ Developer: Microsoft Game Studios

I've played Freelancer, and its more akin to Privateer than Elite. The closest thing I have seen to Elite, is 1995? game titled First Encounters I think it was an unofficial sequel to Elite II?

Anyway, there hasn't been a proper space sim made, that captures the same character of the venerable Elite. Where the hell is the manual planet to planet navigation? Or being able to target every celestial object in the solar system? Or being able to explore the entire galaxy? (Countless star systems and not the 20 or so in Freelancer) Or the freedom of landing in any city on Earth or space station?

Where, where, WHERE?!??!?

All this magnificent technology? The new OpenGL 2.0 standard, DX9 h/w and no innovation whatsoever. Why have all these new features if you don't find creative uses for them? And just churn out more cookie cutter FPS, RTS, RPGs!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2003, 07:35:03 AM »
I think the computer games industry has become too lucrative, so the 'creative thinking' is left to people who want to work out what games will primarily make money for them, and secondarily the entertainment value.

I would blame the console market as well, but I can't think of a decent reason why.  I hate consoles :-)  ... well no, I hate people that compare consoles to computers more, but anyway.

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show only replies by ottomobiehl
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2003, 09:27:14 AM »
Were has the creativity gone? The originality, the ability to create engrossing game universes. Were is the Elite of the 21st century? I'll tell you were, dead and buried under the hundreds of has been titles like Tombraider, who helped create this 3D genre for games - to our detriment mind you.

My Opinion is that the creativity has shifted.  During the 80s and the early 90s we had talented story tellers who where also talented programmers as most games had a handful of programmers working on that.

Now we have creative programers who make wonderful environs and such but we lost the creative story tellers.  The emphasis seems to make the next version of the same type of game.

Also back in the 80s most game companies where small business that ran like families so there was a human element attached to the games.  Now it seems that mega-corporations and congomerates own game companies and the human touch is lost (sounds kinda like the movies industry too.  :-P  )  They just throw millions of dollars at a project and market the hell out of them in order to make millions more.

The demo scene and a lot of the shareware is made by small groups of people who love making games and believe in what they do.  In most cases these tend to be the most satisfying games to play.

I am not one who would stand against anyone making money but making games is an art.  And art comes through vision, passion, blood, sweat, and tears.  :-)

I let my wallet do my talking.  I am more willing to spend my hard earned currancy on a small budget shareware project that is good quality than the assembly line crap most "game" conglomerates dish out. ;-) (not that all games that come from the corporate side are bad.)

Sorry to rant but I like a good game.  Just my 2 ...er...15 cents.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2003, 09:56:12 AM »
Just to throw my opinion into the topic.

U can't slate one machine. either console or computer, against each other when it comes to playing games.

I regularly still play on my snes and N64, even if they our outdated.  Why, because I own games for them I love.  My fav 2d platformer of all time is yoshis island on the snes(not the ####ty one on the N64).

One of the funniest games and also one of my favs is conkers bad fur day on the N64

My fav 3d shooters are goldeneye, perfect dark on the N64 and half life on the pee cee.

My fav strategy games are settlers on the Amiga and Warcraft III on the pee cee.

I could go on, but my point is th emachine dont matter, the company dont matter.

Half life had a brilliant story line to it, nbo just running around shooting stuff, it really dragged u into what was going to happen next.

These days u have to ignore the hype and look for the good stuff. Same as with movies.

Back to the oringinal poinf of the post.

I have never played or think i ever will adventures that really imersed me into the world as monkey island 1 and 2.  
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ottomobiehl

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2003, 10:06:47 AM »
Hey JJ

U can't slate one machine. either console or computer, against each other when it comes to playing games.

Naw, I wasn't being machine specific but you are right about playing the game you like on the machine you like (i.e. nes, snes, playstation, etc.)  Each have games that I have enjoyed playing.

I have never played or think i ever will adventures that really imersed me into the world as monkey island 1 and 2.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are great and I played them often.  They are kinda like a good book that you go back and read often or a place you enjoy where you can go and visit again and again.

Offline KermitoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kermito
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2003, 01:16:11 AM »
It is probably true that the game industry is concentrating more in marketing that in the gameplay. For example, How many copies of WWF do you need to play a decent wrestle game? or for those who like soccer, do you really need each year to buy FIFA soccer? what about games derived from films? is spiderman any good? or Yet Another Star Wars game?

I would love to see a remake of classic C64 games like Project Fire Star or Caveman-Ughlympics...

Creativity is the thing missing from most of the recent games. I really admire the people from squaresoft that make those brilliant RPG in a low level hardware as some people think the PS2 is compared to PC like xbox, but I don't believe that a good game requires the latest state-of- art technology.

The success of the game industry is based in the consumer of crap games, rather than the quality of the games. Amiga developers used to have good crativity, until they jump to PC or consoles  :-(
- - -
Armakuni, The Last Ninja

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2003, 01:49:40 AM »
3D positioning in Imperium Galactica, you Must not be talking about the first one which was a DOS game and was as 2D as it gets.  
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline ottomobiehl

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2003, 05:05:40 AM »
@Kermito

I would love to see a remake of classic C64 games like Project Fire Star or Caveman-Ughlympics...

Creativity is the thing missing from most of the recent games. I really admire the people from squaresoft that make those brilliant RPG in a low level hardware as some people think the PS2 is compared to PC like xbox, but I don't believe that a good game requires the latest state-of- art technology.

I agree with you 100%.  Perhaps game developers should develop thier games on basic stripped down systems to hammer out gameplay and originality then give them the killer systems to add the eye candy.  Maybe we can get some original/fun games like we used to have instead of the cookie cutter mass produced stuff we have now. :ranting:

Just a thought...

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2003, 06:06:55 PM »
I think a lot of this "oh where has all the originality gone" is euphoric recall. How many times do you think "I'll have a look at such-and-such", get excited at the prospect then quickly recall 3-minute intros you couldn't skip past, poor or non-existant logic and AI, saves to floppy only, games that do not use expanded memory and so forth (not all cases I know).

I certainly think title like Tomb Raider were excellent, utilising 3D itself to make the puzzles ingenious, I recall one scenario where activating a lever rotated a whole game environment 90 degrees and so on, maximising use of the layout. Likewise Jak n Daxter and similar are excellent. Then there is the Resident Evil series, the Silent Hill series ... etc... The latest Final Fantasy series games are 3D only in as much as the backgrounds are now polygon built, were they prerendered instead they would be pretty much a "2D game" also.

I don't necessarily think "3D = bad", time moves on and the customer expects 3D where it is possible. So what? Rate the games on individual merit.

It's as if people "remember" a Golden Age (maybe that should be a Golden Axe?) wherein ALL games were superb, without exception. Go download a stack of games assuming you are without pre-existing knowledge from back2roots or similar, they'll be 80% garbage just like nowadays.

Good games are good games irrespective of 2D versus 3D. You can't polish a turd.
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2003, 06:21:50 PM »
Good games are good games irrespective of 2D versus 3D. You can't polish a turd.

I must say I agree, except on one point. You _can_ of course polish a turd. Whether one would want to is a completely different matter.

The thing about games is to play the games you like, and then stop playing them once you stop liking them. You don't _have_ to only play quake-style games, but how are you going to know you hate them all if you only ever played Doom? I could mention so many crappy old Amiga games, but I won't. Because they aren't worthy of a mention. Except "Chariots of wrath". Man, that one had me cursing myself for spending money on things I see in shops...

The business has always been to keep pushing what sold best last year, and it's not going to change any time soon. But for cying out loud buy the games you like, and don't waste breath complaining about there being too many of the other types. Money is the only thing that matters to the gaming business. Complaints from people who aren't buying seldom get's you anywhere. I see it all the time. If you actually DO as those people say, they have another excuse for not buying... :-)

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2003, 08:08:57 PM »
Hi !

I dont ' think graphis adventures games are really dying, but maybe get other features : aftel all, what are the  final fantasy (7, 8 and 9...not the 10... i didn' t see it) if they aren' t graphic adventure, with a little battle from time to time ?  What is Exile (Myst 3) if not a graphic advenure, at this exception that the graphic is an environement ?

By the way, MAD, do you go to amstrad CPC meetings ? Maybe we know each other  :-)
If you' re interested, There is a CPC meeting the second week end of june (about the 10th...) at Coutances

Offline ottomobiehl

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2003, 08:17:05 AM »
aftel all, what are the final fantasy (7, 8 and 9...not the 10... i didn' t see it) if they aren' t graphic adventure, with a little battle from time to time ? What is Exile (Myst 3) if not a graphic advenure, at this exception that the graphic is an environement ?

Perhaps these games take some of the best (or worst) elements of graphic adventures and use them in thier own games.

I have only played a couple of Final Fantasy games (7, and 8) and they seemed to be just linear ploted RPGs with pretty,  prerendered backgrounds (no I haven't played the new one for PS2.)  I enjoyed playing the games  but after solving them they lost their replay value to me.