Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic the hedgehog?  (Read 14445 times)

Description:

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
Re: Sonic the hedgehog?
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;674571
I also included a SoundTracker version of that Green Hill Zone mod, along with one from Spring Yard Zone, so maybe someone can take the instruments from the Spring Yard mod and replace them in the Green Hill mod.

There's not much to replace in the Green Hill zone mod, I don't know if it's just me but I only hear the bass and the drums, what happened to the tune?  And it's dreadfully slow!  Is that an automatic conversion of the Med file?  I don't think it's worked properly if it is.

I might just redo it from scratch instead, it would probably be simpler.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »
Sorry everyone!

I have re-uploaded a new archive for you to download again. This time it includes the Libs/ drawer which has the Libraries required to finish compiling the game. I used SnoopDOS to suss out the problem. If you had installed Backbone from the original package before extracting and trying this pack it would have worked, which is why I didn't notice the problem myself since I already had Backbone installed properly with the Libs/.

Anyway, download this new one and try to compile. I'm not sure if you'll need to copy the Libraries over to your SYS:Libs/ drawer or if they'll work from PROGDIR:Libs/ but you can try it yourself the way you like.

http://home.exetel.com.au/~amiga/SonicBackbone.lha

Mrs. Beanbag, sorry about that mod, I didn't even listen to the result before uploading the pack, and only discovered what a poor job OctaMED did of converting it after I had tried it in the first level. I suppose someone with more experience with music software will have to do the conversion, I've barely used them before.

I think you're right about Sonic using 32x32 tiles, I made my version use 16x16 because Backbone doesn't support slopes and hills, so the smaller tiles let me have a smoother pseudo-hill than the larger tiles would. Your Beanbag engine obviously handles slopes properly so that'll make it easier for me to convert the graphics. I'll have to create a new 16 colour palette combining the two 16 colour palettes from the foreground tiles and enemy sprites and remapping the graphics to suit, so it won't match the Mega Drive's colour count and the graphics will have to be compromised a bit, but I'll do my best. It may end up looking similar to what I've already done with the Backbone game though, which also combines the foreground tiles and enemy sprites (and player sprite) palettes into a single 16 colour palette. Thankfully I won't have to include Sonic's own colours, so the tile colours will have priority over the enemy sprites, which may be recoloured to work.

Since the Beanbag engine isn't identical to Sonic, I don't think we need to try and duplicate any of the original levels accurately, and think it would be nicer to have a completely original Sonic game for the Amiga, using our own custom graphics for new stages and enemies. Take the PC fangame Sonic XG for example, for a completely original Sonic game I think it's extremely impressive. Check out the pics and gameplay video here: http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXGWEBSITE/

Something like that would be incredible, our own unique Sonic game. Of course after you've made Mr. Beanbag 2 and completed your new engine perhaps we can have a go at reproducing a more accurate clone of one of the original Mega Drive games.
Amiga user forever.

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
I dont if this would be possible to port to classic amigas or even ng amigas but its impressive anyway. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/sonic-fan-remix/
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Rebel-CD32

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
I think it's doable on an A500, might need two floppy disks though... :p
Amiga user forever.

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »
Ok maybe not on a classic system but what about ng amiga systems?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Ok try this Green Hill Zone mod I just made.  Maybe someone with greater musical skills than mine can jazz it up a little more but there's the basic tune anyway.  I modified some samples from my own collection.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;674624
Ok try this Green Hill Zone mod I just made.  Maybe someone with greater musical skills than mine can jazz it up a little more but there's the basic tune anyway.  I modified some samples from my own collection.
Sounds good!
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;674610
I dont if this would be possible to port to classic amigas or even ng amigas but its impressive anyway. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/sonic-fan-remix/
Classic isn't a problem, but you'll have to carefully rework the graphics (HAM just isn't an option here) down to a suitable number of colors and lowres. Probably not so easy to do without making it look crappy.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
There's a really rather nice game called "Kid Chaos" that is pretty much a Sonic clone. Runs extremely fast and smooth on an 1mb Amiga 500.
[youtube]u_1fME0wPzw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:55:10 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;674634
Classic isn't a problem, but you'll have to carefully rework the graphics (HAM just isn't an option here) down to a suitable number of colors and lowres. Probably not so easy to do without making it look crappy.
Hey, if the SMS/GG Sonic titles could look okay, an Amiga version easily can.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;674643
There's a really rather nice game called "Kid Chaos" that is pretty much a Sonic clone. Runs extremely fast and smooth on an 1mb Amiga 500.

That's a game I'd never seen before.  Nice work.  Plenty of parallax, but the graphics suffer a little from the 7-colour limitation, they've done well but to me it has a kind of "dirty" look.  If they made an AGA version it could have been really nice.

Not sure what the fascination was with rave music on Amiga games of that era, I never much got into it, but at least it has a different tune on each level, which is one of the things that disappointed me about Zool, even though they managed to fit 5 or so mods on the disks, you had to pick one at the start and stick with it all the way through - weird.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;674644
Hey, if the SMS/GG Sonic titles could look okay, an Amiga version easily can.
I was refering to the Sonic version in carvedeye's link ;) SMS/GG Sonic is indeed a piece of cake.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;674648
That's a game I'd never seen before.  Nice work.  Plenty of parallax, but the graphics suffer a little from the 7-colour limitation, they've done well but to me it has a kind of "dirty" look.  If they made an AGA version it could have been really nice.

Maybe it's because it's taken from an emulator? It doesn't look 'dirty' (as I suppose you mean with thatthe transition from one colour to another to be pixely) at all on my real amiga.

Not sure what the fascination was with rave music on Amiga games of that era, I never much got into it,
Well, back in the heyday I thought I could sounds like that on my pc if I bought a sound blaster. *Quite* a disappointment as I was a huge rave fan back in those days (and I've seen xenon 2 on my cousins' Amiga).
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;674668
Maybe it's because it's taken from an emulator? It doesn't look 'dirty' (as I suppose you mean with thatthe transition from one colour to another to be pixely) at all on my real amiga.

I mean the colours are mostly very brownish/greyish.  The only way to get lots of shading with only 7 colours is to "overlap" your ranges by cleverly selecting neutral colours.  After black and white you're left with only 5 colours to work with so you've got to make compromises like using brown for the darker shade of everything.  A friend of mine had a term for it, "stinky graphics" he used to call it.

Soccer Kid did it better, in my opinion.  That's another game with smooth scrolling and parallax.  Good music too.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;674648
That's a game I'd never seen before. Nice work. Plenty of parallax, but the graphics suffer a little from the 7-colour limitation, they've done well but to me it has a kind of "dirty" look. If they made an AGA version it could have been really nice.

Yeah OCS dual playfield is limiting with only 6 bitplanes. You would have to use the blitter for parallax and I'm not sure you could achieve 50/60 fps with that.

AGA would be better, but still not as good as the mega drive because of the sprites. But you might be able to pull it off.

Offline Rebel-CD32

« Reply #44 from previous page: January 07, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
I think Mr. Nutz does a great job of OCS dual-playfield mode without resorting to using brown as a base colour in the graphics, in my opinion it's closer to how I imagine Sonic on the Amiga to look than Kid Chaos, even though that game shares the same awesome control and spinning attack method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yYM9aFnpwjM#t=2322s
Amiga user forever.