Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High-end emulated systems  (Read 1395 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaFreakTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
High-end emulated systems
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a question:

Well - I was having problems with the audio becoming choppy when I would move to full screen in Amiga Forever to play games. So I decided to try to export all my system, game and ROM files out and use FS-UAE. That fixed the problem, when playing the games in FS-UAE in full screen the audio is fine.

Now, I don't know much about how much of the different RAM (I.E. chip, fast, slow, Z3, etc) each Amiga system could support. I'd like to setup configurations in FS-UAE for each system (A1000 through A4000) with as much hardware support as each system could manage. What I mean is, since I don't know, I would bump the different ram up in some systems, and either Workbench would not load on a A4000 setup, or a A500+ would guru out because of it or something...

Could someone tell me the different max hardware setups of each system. Sorry (I've only had A1000's and A500's) my first Amiga (1000) was the only expanded system I had, it had 2 MB of RAM on the side of the case in the expansion slot. So I don't really have much experience with this.

Thanks! :-)
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: High-end emulated systems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:51:30 AM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;758442
Hi guys,

I have a question:

Well - I was having problems with the audio becoming choppy when I would move to full screen in Amiga Forever to play games. So I decided to try to export all my system, game and ROM files out and use FS-UAE. That fixed the problem, when playing the games in FS-UAE in full screen the audio is fine.

Now, I don't know much about how much of the different RAM (I.E. chip, fast, slow, Z3, etc) each Amiga system could support. I'd like to setup configurations in FS-UAE for each system (A1000 through A4000) with as much hardware support as each system could manage. What I mean is, since I don't know, I would bump the different ram up in some systems, and either Workbench would not load on a A4000 setup, or a A500+ would guru out because of it or something...

Could someone tell me the different max hardware setups of each system. Sorry (I've only had A1000's and A500's) my first Amiga (1000) was the only expanded system I had, it had 2 MB of RAM on the side of the case in the expansion slot. So I don't really have much experience with this.

One of the great things about Amiga was expandibility through CPU slots RAM boards and Zorro slots

Therefore an A500 could be anything from a 68000 cpu running at 7 mhz and 512 k ram to a 68040 @ 40 mhz and 64 MB RAM and everthing in between  And then you have the Zorro slot machines which can add sound cards, graphics cards, network cards, video cards like the toaster.  It creates many permutations and combinations.

The thing is software made to run on the 512 k 68000 A500 may not run on the same machine when expanded.

On the other hand, the same software may run much better.  

And on emulator where you can have 8 MB of chip ram, you can even run software on hardware specs that didn't even exist on actual machines and it will do things real machines could never do.

So even if you had a a list of maxxed-out Amiga's, and then emulated them, you still won't know until you tried if a specific piece of software will work, or what, exactly, is the spec that breaks it.

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
Re: High-end emulated systems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;758442
Hi guys,

I have a question:

The A1000, A500, A500+ and A600 modes use the Motorola 68000 processor.  The A1200 mode uses the Motorola 68EC020.  The A1200 (68020) uses the full Motorola 68020.  The A3000 uses the full Motorola 68030. The A4000 uses the Motorola 68040.

The A1000, A500, A500+, A600 and A12000 modes do not support 32-bit memory access.  Therefore, you will not be able to use Zorro III RAM or Picasso96 Support.  So for the ultimate Amiga Emulator, you will need to use the A1200 (68020), A3000 or A4000 modes in order to use these features.

Also, if you are using FS-UAE on a 64-bit Linux machine, it will not take advantage of JIT.  The Linux 32-bit version of FS-UAE, and the Windows version of WinUAE (for both 32-bit and 64-bit machines) both support JIT giving incredible performance.

Personally, I prefer WinUAE.  It's much more mature and supports more of your host machine's features.  For example, it supports the MIDI SoftSynth (tested with Bars n' Pipes and DMCS).  Also, it supports printing (I have used CutePDF and printed directly to an attached laser printer).  Also, it has ShapeShifter support (for my Mac OS7.5 emulation).

I did have choppy sound issues with earlier versions of WinUAE, but that seems to have been worked out.

The only issue I have with WinUAE now is that the Paula audio channels and MIDI channels go out of sync when used together in Deluxe Music Construction Set.  I did no have this issue on my real Amiga.  This may not be a problem with WinUAE, but more with the MS SoftSynth that comes with Windows which has been known to have latency issues.

A feature I'd like to see in WinUAE is support for the host machine's line-in recording.  If it could somehow emulate a GVP DSS8 or PerfectSound audio digitizer, we could use it on a lot of the Audio processing software on the Amiga.

One of the things I like better on FS-UAE, is that it takes a lot fewer clicks to get into your Amiga environment.  However, it still behind on a lot of features.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz