Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaInc screwed AOS(!!?)  (Read 2500 times)

Description:

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
Re: AmigaInc screwed AOS(!!?)
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 16, 2002, 02:17:06 AM »
From the very start of this DE integration into AOS, it has been very clear (at least to some people)

AOS will eventualy run on multiple platforms
Application's can be written using VP, to allow them to run on all AOS platforms (PPC, MIPS, x86 etc.)

Native applications will also be able to be written for that extra speed.

Supporting different archetectures, is not a bad thing, it can only bring good. (although if people dont take advantage of VP and only code in native, this will be bad, as it'll split the comunity between archetectures, unless people provide recompiled version of their apps for multiple archetectures)...

If AOS makes it to v5, i dont think we'll have to worry about the size of our market for long. AOS 5 will not only mean the merger of two operating systems, but the merger of two communities. Thats also a good thing.

People, this information has been avaliable for a long time... Read things much more carefuly please.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline AmigaMac

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2002, 02:25:09 AM »

It has been clear since day one that Amiga don't want to be tied to any CPU architecture for the future. Supporting more CPU architectures will allow more consumer choice.

If you want AmigaOS5 (long way to go yet) for the PPC, then buy the PPC version. Do you want AmigaOS5 for x86, then buy the x86 version. IMO there is nothing wrong with offering consumer choice.

MikeB summed it up quite well... I don't care about the 'x86 crowd' myself, but as long as there is consumer choice and it makes them happy and I can use PPC for my preferred platform, then we all win in the end!  I guess with different versions of Amiga OS running on PPC, x86 and etc... with Amiga DE being a compatibility layer for applications will make it nice and you won't have to worry about applications being available for one platform and not the other (like BeOS' case)!

Offline JoseTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2002, 02:28:26 AM »
@Rodney:
Like I said somewhere, I remember it was said in a show that there was a change of direction and it was gonna be tied to PPC (desktop). But nevermind that...it was probably another bad interview!(?)

@Glaucus

It won't do very well with these interviews to mainstream sites that get read by millions of people.
It just doesn't make any sense and it's probably a mistake. I hope it can be corrected, but wich mainstreamsite is gonna post that there was a mistake and it's not like that after all!? A shame really! The Amiga Curse strikes again!

We have this great product but there's another one coming in soon that will substitute it, and it will be better, cheaper, run on your computer...etc...!!!!!
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"