Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few questions about WHDLoad and game-speed  (Read 1140 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaManceTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
A few questions about WHDLoad and game-speed
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »
   Hello.
 I have a BPPC with a 68040 and i want to know how WHDLoad affects the speed of CPU intensive games such as Flight simulators.
 Is there a speed penalty for WHDLoad installed games?
 Is there, on the contrary, a speed gain?
 It depends on the game/slave? What is usually the case?
 Are there cases in which it would be preferable for OS legal, "quitable" games to be installed the traditional way, instead of using WHDLoad?
 And what about the abandoned JST? Thanks :-)
A1200 PPC user.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: A few questions about WHDLoad and game-speed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »
I would doubt you would notice any speed differences.  You will notice quicker loading times, as most slaves load all the game into memory.

Using whdload will actually enable you to use games, even with os legal installers, that would not have run on 040 before.

They quite often fix bugs also.  You may find some older games run a little bit faster as they were written way before 040's were widley available.

I stll had problems with a lot of games on my 040/ppc card even using whdload games
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:43:19 PM »
I never noticed any speed penality. It does however load games much faster. The thing that it does affect though, is the required ram. Some Whdload games require a tad more ram than when they are run from floppies.

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
depends whether your 68040 accelerator card is a Blizzard or not.
Blizzard1260 and 1240 can not cache chip ram so you have to enable the global pref "chipnocache" otherwise you will get the slowdowns

best way to know is to get the dev archive and test speed.slave and compare you value to the provided value, then change the tooltype/prefs accordingly.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:35:59 PM »
I have noticed some speed troubles with the game Advantage Tennis, using the latest WHDLoad slave. On both my Apollo A630 and blizzard 1230, the game plays lightening fast, way faster than the plain floppy game on an A500. But on my Apollo 1240, it is really slow, slower than normal. On the Apollo 1260 though, the speed seems correct according to the A500.

Anyway, i prefer to play it fast, it is more challenging and the "to serve and to volley" style becomes quite spectacular.  
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!