Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WarpOS/Warp3D problem - ramlib_PPC error  (Read 4221 times)

Description:

Offline TheRogueTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheRogue
WarpOS/Warp3D problem - ramlib_PPC error
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:30:05 AM »
I really need help with this guys. whenever I try to run a Warp3D PPC app it crashes with a ramlib PPC  error. I installed the Ramlib patch into my startup sequence but it  didn't solve the issue. I've seen some posts on the subject but they  don't seem to offer a conclusive answer. Does anyone know how to solve  this issue?       Do I need to do a clean install and  install things in a certain order like I've heard suggested? My  configuration is:

Amiga 3000
CyberStormPPC 060-50/604e-200
CyberVisionPPC
9.1GB HD on the CyberStorm SCSI controller
KS3.1
OS3.9 (no BoingBags yet)
Latest 060 libs, not sure if I have latest PPC libs
CyberGraphX 4 RC6
WarpOS 5.1

I've tried doing what it says here: http://www.sintonen.fi/bppcflash.txt in regards to the ramlib problem but that didn't work and I didn't expect it to since it's in regards to the Blizzard not the Cyberstorm. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Can anyone help? Please...?
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his  uniform dying in the sun. War, it\'s never been so much fun!:destroy:

Offline spirantho

Re: WarpOS/Warp3D problem - ramlib_PPC error
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
What happens when you launch a test app (e.g.VoxelSpace) after booting without the Startup-sequence (you'll still need to do some assigns like ENV: and call SetPatch)?

Have you tried with an older version of WarpOS (you can get it if you look hard enough, V4 anyway)?

Does your system definitely have a working PPC? Try running the original PowerUp disk demos. Also try the OS4 boot disk if you have it.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
The system does have a working PPC, SysSpeed will detect it and tell me MIPS and so on. I will see what I can do about the powerup disk demos, I already installed the PowerUP emulator so I think I'll need to reinstall a proper ppc.library before I can try powerup stuff again. I'll see if I can boot up OS4 tomorrow. I'm sure it will work, I'm thinking it's just a software issue. I installed WarpUP 3.1 using the V7 libs and when I would try running the warp3d demos nothing would happen. I would click, a small amount of memory would be used up, and nothing would happen. Once I installed the V14 Libs I started getting the Ramlib error again. It's so confusing. I read an old post saying that if you do a clean install of things in a certain order it fixes the problem. I believe this was the post " http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23237 " Anyway, I hope there is some other solution. Thanks.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his  uniform dying in the sun. War, it\'s never been so much fun!:destroy:

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
Quote from: TheRogue;564373
I really need help with this guys. whenever I try to run a Warp3D PPC app it crashes with a ramlib PPC  error. I installed the Ramlib patch into my startup sequence but it  didn't solve the issue. I've seen some posts on the subject but they  don't seem to offer a conclusive answer. Does anyone know how to solve  this issue?   Do I need to do a clean install and  install things in a certain order like I've heard suggested? My  configuration is:

Amiga 3000
CyberVisionPPC
KS3.1
OS3.9 (no BoingBags yet)
CyberGraphX 4 RC6
WarpOS 5.1

I've tried doing what it says here: http://www.sintonen.fi/bppcflash.txt in regards to the ramlib problem but that didn't work and I didn't expect it to since it's in regards to the Blizzard not the Cyberstorm. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

first, sorry to state the obvious but CSPPC and BPPC are 2 different beasts (your CSPPC doesn't carry any 68k nor ppc.library in flash ... are all disk-based)

These kind of issues sometimes are due a wrong ram settings in the early Flash settings (what you get clicking ESC during the boot)

Try to set the memory settings to 70 ns OR remove waistates for PPC, in the Free config settings.

Sometimes it helps to use a previous version of powerpc.library (16.1.beta IIRC)

http://devnull.owl.de/~frank/powerpc_V16_1beta.lha

Here my WarpOS Preferences settings

General:

Terminator=OFF
No Patch= ticked

Videoaddress:

Always use videoaddress
Hex= E0000000

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:57:11 AM by Framiga »

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
Quote from: TheRogue;564373
I really need help with this guys. whenever I try to run a Warp3D PPC app it crashes with a ramlib PPC  error. I installed the Ramlib patch into my startup sequence but it  didn't solve the issue. I've seen some posts on the subject but they  don't seem to offer a conclusive answer. Does anyone know how to solve  this issue?       Do I need to do a clean install and  install things in a certain order like I've heard suggested? My  configuration is:

Amiga 3000
CyberVisionPPC
KS3.1
OS3.9 (no BoingBags yet)
CyberGraphX 4 RC6
WarpOS 5.1

There is a bug in Warp3D/WarpUp not taking into account low stack space in ramlib stack and can happily crash if you dont use some patch to give ramlib more stack. You need StacAttack (or something similar IIRC) to make WarpUp/Warp3D work without crashing in ramlib process.

Nevertheless I never could get Warp3D fully working on my BPPC.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Framiga

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
The OP have a CSPPC and then StackAttack for a ramlib issue?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:02:23 PM by Framiga »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Quote from: itix;564428
Nevertheless I never could get Warp3D fully working on my BPPC.

Works for me *shrug*

I do recall having problems when I tried the version of the flash update that had support for the G-Rex, but I suspect I probably shouldn't have installed that without said hardware in the first place :)
int p; // A

Offline Framiga

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
i can't find anymore a MCP archive with a bundled "mcpramlibpatch"!!! anyone?

Offline Colmiga

• Show only replies by Colmiga
    • http://colmiga.org
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
The RTGMaster User archive on Aminet has the mcpramlibpatch in it.
Sam460ex: PPC460ex/1GHz, 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD via on-board SATA-2, DVD-RW via USB, Radeon 5450 1GB PCIe, Catweasel Mk4 PCI, A4000 KB and Competition Pro CD32 Pad.
A4000D: 030/25MHz, 16MB RAM, Indivision Mk1, 8GB CF as HDD and IDE CD-ROM.

Amiga user since 1992.

Offline itix

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;564429
The OP have a CSPPC and then StackAttack for a ramlib issue?

Ramlib issue is broken libraries consuming too much stack in ramlib context. It has nothing to do with PPC per se.

Offline Framiga

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
ops ...  i meant to say ... what StackAttack have to do with a ramlib issue? nothing.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;564465
ops ...  i meant to say ... what StackAttack have to do with a ramlib issue? nothing.

The people who mentioned the Ramlib patch, if you notice in the OP I said I had installed the ramlib patch into my startup-sequence without any effect. I also said that I tried the directions in that text file but didn't expect them to work because the CSPPC is different from the BPPC. I have the latest flash update on my CSPPC and I also tried both 60ns and 70ns in the flash menu with no effect.

Offline itix

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;564465

Well.. whatever patch there was to give ramlib more stack.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:15:25 AM »
Ok, I tried booting OS4. I got a purple then a red screen. Is my CyberStorm screwed? What do I do?

EDIT: Sometimes, instead of red screen, the system will try to read the floppy, then read the CD-ROM for a minute, restart, wait for about a minute, read the floppy for a minute more, then nothing will happen. This will only happen if I try to boot from floppy, but if I try to boot from OS3.9 via the boot from 3.x icon, I will always get the red screen. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:41:24 AM by TheRogue »

Offline spirantho

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »
Doesn't sound too good I'm afraid. You should get a purple screen I think when OS4 boots up (it goes through other colours first). Do the usual checks - disconnect what you don't need (including HDD), check with two different pairs of RAM on their own, that sort of thing.
Boot off the OS4 disk as that's independent of your system. If/when you get a purple screen and a boot, that's when you should look at 3.9 again.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!