Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AIAB: Attempt at installing WHDLoad and JST_Dev  (Read 1943 times)

Description:

Offline Joeyxp2Topic starter

• Show only replies by Joeyxp2
AIAB: Attempt at installing WHDLoad and JST_Dev
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:12:10 AM »
Greetings, I've successfully installed Amiga in a Box on my system and am now trying to figure out how to correctly install WHDLoad and JST_Dev within the system.

I've tried the direct approach, which is installing it with the executable but I am constantly bombarded with requests for certain volumes. Not to mention, a lot of conflicts with file-access as many are in use.

Since that didn't work correctly, I decided to install the programs by moving the drawers and files into the workbench manually. However, there's a noticeable omission of the drawers: utilities, storages, libs, and possibly more even after I enabled the features of displaying all files.

Now, I'm in need for some help on how to install the programs in the correct fashion. I was wondering if there's a step-by-step guide with pictures a la the AIAB installation tutorial.

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
Re: AIAB: Attempt at installing WHDLoad and JST_Dev
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:29:33 AM »
Hello,

Well WHDload and JST should already be available, whilst the dev packages are intended for folks wishing to programme their own loaders/slaves.

If you would care to post the problems you are experiencing I may be able to help.

Otherwse, use AmiKit instead ;)

James
x

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:32:23 AM »
It sounds like you are missing some drawers from your Workbench installation. That's why they don't show in Workbench, and that's why the assigns don't exist. I would suggest checking your Workbench disks to make sure they are there, then recreate the ADFs and reinstall AIAB.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:14:06 AM »
Because AmiKit requires OS 3.9 CD, I'm a bit reluctant on downloading that program. The reason I first decided to get AIAB is because of my absence of that CD.

Which one is superior: AIAB or AmiKit? Is AmiKit preferable if you're looking for an interface that's intuitive and preferably accessible?

Despite a lot of past attempts, I never got the gray screen until I finally learned that I was supposed to double-click the particular configuration dedicated to AIAB.

I'm quite sure that I followed the AIAB Installation Help correctly. What particular factor in the setup could have caused the exclusion of some drawers?

What exactly do you mean by recreating the ADFs? As far as I know, the only files required for the installation of AIAB are:
WinUAE
AIAB Installer
Kick31.rom
WB31.adf

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:22:08 AM »
Yes, it is true that AmiKit has slightly higher requirements, however it is a far more complete package than AIAB, and enjoys considerably better user support.

Perhaps you would be able to provide an example of what you are trying to achieve by installing JST/WHDload when they are already present on the AIAB system.  Which game are you attempting to install, for example?

Cheers,
James (loosely connected with AIAB)
x

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
Joeyxp2 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by recreating the ADFs? As far as I know, the only files required for the installation of AIAB are:
WinUAE
AIAB Installer
Kick31.rom
WB31.adf

No, you need the full set of Workbench ADFs (Extras, Storage etc.) Just make ADF images of them the same way you created your WB31.adf, copy the resulting ADF files to your PC, and reinstall AIAB. The missing drawers will then be copied from the extra Workbech disks and everything should work.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

AmiKit > AIAB?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:24:14 AM »
I'm attempting to install quite a few Amiga games. Some of them include Fightin' Spirit, Disposable Hero (CD32), and Ruff n' Tumble.

If AmiKit is truly superior, it might be a better idea for me to go with that. Will I still need the whole set of Workbench ADFs? I'm quite sure I already have everything, I just need some concise instructions on the exact location for the files.

Anyways, I managed to get a file called WB39.hdf, which supposedly is operational with WinUAE. How am I supposed to get AmiKit to install, if it limits my options to the OS 3.9 CD?

Offline leirbag28

Re: AmiKit > AIAB?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 05:30:16 AM »
@Joeyxp2

Ahh...I think I know what may be the Problem! You downloaded the WDHload Developer Pack............you dont need that!
Download the one for the User and install that.

make sure its the latest version.........some games may ask that a kickrom000500 is needed or something like that...in those cases you can get those on Aminet I believe.

I dont thinf you need ADF files.  ADF files are simply Original Amiga Disks that were turned into a compressed form for the PC to read on WinUAE.

there is a way to turn them back into real actual physical Amiga disks.  But you dont need that.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...