Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOW!!! $20 Amiga Laptop... what a deal!!!  (Read 1902 times)

Description:

Offline mpivaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
WOW!!! $20 Amiga Laptop... what a deal!!!
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:36:57 AM »
   Sorry to all those reading this posting hoping to see an announcement of a new ultra-low-cost PPC Amiga Laptop.  Nothing that exciting.  I just want to tell everyone about my fantactic purchase the other week.

Last Friday I came home from work to discover that my neighboor was having a garage sale.  I wandered over to look around and found an old laptop there (a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4270ZDVD, for those who want specifics).  To summarize, it has a 500MHz Celeron, 15inch screen, DVD-ROM, 11GB HD, and 64Megs of RAM, floppy drive, and USB.  Certainly not top-of-the-line but when the lady told me she only wanted $20 for it (including a nice carrying case), I couldn't refuse.

However, I got an even bigger surprise when I took it home and started playing with it.  Just for kicks, I threw in my Amithlon CD, not expecting much to happen to be honest.  At first it looked like the computer stalled at boot and I was about to give up, but then my kids distracted me and I inadvertantly left the computer running.  When I came back, to my surprise, a tiny 640x480, 8bit working was waiting for me.

It took some time, downloading updated Kernals and patches, but now I have a 1024x768 24bit Workbench running on this thing.  The 64Megs is a little tight; Amithlon only leaves about 16Megs for the Amiga, so I'm planning on buying another 128Megs.  But for an Amiga, even 16Megs is quite usable.

I have had a few problems though.  I can't seam to get the sound to work (it uses some sort of Yamaha chip and it appears there is not support for it with AHI).  Also, the clock ticks too slowly.  Anybody know what might be cauing this to happen?  It's only happens in Amithlon; after ~1hr of use, the system clock is ~10min behind.  When the laptop is running WindowsXP this does not happen.

However, probably the biggest annoyance it that the keyboard only has one "Windows" key which appears to be mapped to the LEFT Amiga key.  This makes rebooting difficult and most keyboard shortcuts impossible.  Is there some program out there that will allow me to map one of the keys the Amiga doesn't use (like F12) to the RIGHT Amiga key?

Anyway, despite the lack of sound and the few minor annoyances, it works great for most things I use it for (like writing,  FinalWriter97 runs beautifully on this thing, even with only 16Megs of ram).  I've always wanted an Amiga Laptop but would never have guessed I would be able to get one for only $20!!!

Best $20 I've ever spent! :-D
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
Re: WOW!!! $20 Amiga Laptop... what a deal!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
 $20 ! Wow.

Most people around here want $50 for an old Pentium I.

You got a great bargain.

What about UAE instead? or AF and or Ubuntu?

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »
@mpiva

Can't beat a deal like that :-D

---
redfox

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:39:05 AM »
Make sure you try an AROS Live CD.

Offline neuroflip

• Show only replies by neuroflip
    • http://a1200.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:31:41 AM »
Good buy!

Argo wrote:
Make sure you try an AROS Live CD.

i have tested Aros Live CD (from june) on an PII 128Mb notebook and it rocks! i'll try better tomorrow... you have to  take a chance with your 20$ new pc :-)

the hd install it's fully possible? this will be ok?
[http://a1200.wordpress.com (spanish)
a1200 + Bliz1260/50Mhz/64Mb + HD10Gb + a520 svideo mod + Wireless PCMCIA Elsa MC-11 + PCMCIA CF + Adaptator + CF 256Mb + a500 + 512Kb]

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 04:48:40 AM »
It runs XP on 64 Meg?!?

Ive got an old Compaq E500 - P3/600/192Mb that struggled like a {bleep} with XP.

Now I run 2000 and Ubuntu.  WinUAE/AIAB under 2000 is pretty cool, it's like having my old A1200, on steroids, in a laptop.

For 20 bucks, you cant go wrong. :-)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 04:57:29 AM »
For those who have a LightScribe CD burner, the AROS CD label shows up pretty darn nicely when done in Best contrast mode.  Although you have to play some with the image to get it to fit just right.

And I concur with a previous post: excellent deal!  People often want way too much for old equipment.  FSU has a surplus auction every couple of months... I think after I'm settled in the new place I'll hit one up for an AROS/Amithlon-capable system myself.  Probably won't get one for $20, though!

Offline mpivaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:44 AM »
@ coldfish

64Megs is the BARE MINIMUM for XP and, yes, its slow but still usable.  However it's always such a relief when I shut down Windows and run Amithlon.  SOOOO much faster.  I have WinUAE on there as well for old, chipset dependant stuff, but for productivity, you can't beat Amithlon's boot time.

If I were to try and do some quick work on Windows during my coffee breaks at work, most of the time would be waisted waiting for Windows to boot and shut down (especially if I had to load up WinUAE after).  With Amithlon, I can be working in FinalWriter in less than a minute, write right up until the very last second, flick the switch to turn it off and get back to my "real" job.

I tried installing Mandriva at one point.  I'm not sure if I did something wrong but it ran worse than Windows.  Also, an 11GB harddrive was getting kind of small for three OS's.  Once I learned how to dual-boot Windows and Amithlon without Linux, I tossed any plans of having a Linux system out the window.  Now I just have Amithlon for most things, and Windows for the few programs/games that I can't use my Amiga for.

@people suggesting AROS

I'm definately going to have to try out an AROS-Live CD but I don't think I'll install it permanently for a few reasons.  As I said above, 11GB is getting kind of small for three OS's; due to the "beta" nature of AROS, I would worry about my harddrive accidentally getting corrupted and loosing all my prescious data (I'd want AROS to be running on it's own harddrive to be safe), and most importantly... FinalWriter doesn't run on AROS (nor TurboCalc, nor MapleV, nor most of the programs I actually want to USE an Amiga laptop for).

BTW, one of the BEST things about having a laptop Amiga is now I can finally show it off to all my friends who have said, "Amiga?  What's that, some kind of Mac?"  :roll:

P.S. - I'm still hoping someone can suggest a program to map my Right Amiga key to one of the keys the Amiga doesn't use (or does nothing like that exist?)
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
congrats on your purchase there really a nice price for that laptopp ..
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 10:34:03 AM »
no so bad, but I thought by reading the title that it was a true A1200 laptop-ised...
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
yeah a 1200 with a widescreen composite screen, and an ide flashdrive. built in speakers. that would be cool.

there is a revision of the 1200 mobo that is shorter than the others isnt ther. iirc it had one or both controller ports on a separate connector or something.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)