Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The New C64  (Read 12265 times)

Description:

Offline Vlabguy1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
The New C64
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »
Just curious if anyone here purchased one and if so running any Amiga emulation on her?

I did a quick search and could not find them available anymore.

Rich

Offline sm3

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by sm3
Re: The New C64
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:02:02 AM »
What do you mean by "The New 64"? Do you mean the Turbo Chameleon 64? If so, then yes, I have an SD card setup to run an Amiga 500 with it. Works great!

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »
Not sure if many people from the Amiga sites purchased one.  Commodore USA ended when Barry Altman died.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline sm3

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by sm3
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:12:21 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;771618
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64x

Ah, yeah, that thing. I completely forgot about it.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:21:19 AM »
Quote from: sm3;771620
Ah, yeah, that thing. I completely forgot about it.

I loved the design, but the price... ugh.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Vlabguy1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:24:45 AM »
Quote from: Rob;771617
Not sure if many people from the Amiga sites purchased one.  Commodore USA ended when Barry Altman died.

I did mean the 64x, my bad.

Hmm.. wasn't sure if it continued after he passed away..but certainly based on the images from the website at the time there seemed to be quite a few already built.

Rich

Offline Rob

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:57:51 AM »

Offline anachronicus

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by anachronicus
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:34 AM »
I have one, and I'm indeed running both Amiga Forever on it as well as C64 Forever and some arcade emulators.  It's my emulation box :)
Anachronicus
-------------------
A1200 Power tower/ZIV busboard cybervision 3d mkii
A1200 ACA 1231, Indivision MK2 AGA
AT 4000T, missing cpu card, working condition unknown
A500 with scant signs of life
CUSA C64x Deluxe
Various and sundry Windows boxes

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:06 AM »
Quote from: Rob;771617

I feel really bad for this guy. He must have invested some serious cash to get the commodore usa project off the ground and all he got was abuse and hate from the commodore and amiga user base. It was actually quite pathetic. Meanwhile, the fanboys arselick Hyperion who have gone silent and failed to deliver time after time, and also stuck with Mcewen when they were lying to  the community. And dont get me started on the lies that are STILL propagated about morphos team.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;771633
I feel really bad for this guy. He must have invested some serious cash to get the commodore usa project off the ground and all he got was abuse and hate from the commodore and amiga user base.
Yeah! What'd he ever do to us?

Aside from verbally abuse us, repeatedly lie to us, and question a guy's sexual stamina, that is.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 06:26:24 AM »
Dislike speaking ill of the deceased, but Barry got nowhere near the amount of criticism vs. the abuse he hurled out.  People with serious issues with the machines were silenced, removed on C-USA forums, etc. - not to mention what John said, was just the tip of the iceberg.  Machines would get hot and the wifi would quit working, etc.  People posted about it and had their forums account removed so others wouldn't see that there were issues with the machines...

I got death threats, among other things - from his "War Party" when I did nothing more than ask polite questions here and elsewhere.

I'll applaud any entrepreneur for following his or her dream, but C-USA was a plague on us.

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:30 AM »
Quote from: Duce;771637
Dislike speaking ill of the deceased, but Barry got nowhere near the amount of criticism vs. the abuse he hurled out. People with serious issues with the machines were silenced, removed on C-USA forums, etc. - not to mention what John said, was just the tip of the iceberg. Machines would get hot and the wifi would quit working, etc. People posted about it and had their forums account removed so others wouldn't see that there were issues with the machines...

I got death threats, among other things - from his "War Party" when I did nothing more than ask polite questions here and elsewhere.

I'll applaud any entrepreneur for following his or her dream, but C-USA was a plague on us.

Looking back there was a lot of drama on both sides.I  remember where a person that sent their computer in to get it fixed and never got it back.  That was on commodore Amiga dot org site. They claim they were looking into it at that time.  I never heard that it got resolved.

While I am glad he tried to live his dream I believe he could done better. I believe that in his case he didn't do things the proper way in business. Business person should always respect his or her customers and always set things right.

The prices of the machines drove me away.Prices I believe that very important to customers. I can build my own pc and use Linux.

If I would been C-USA I would have been doing a lot more research. Made my own stuff and operation system. Heck I would made a commodore 64c made it a special edition. Try to please the Amiga and Commodore fans. Sell the computers at reasonable prices.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »
Yes there was drama on both sides. As one of the so called "trolls", for pointing out issues with hardware and such, I received my fair share of grief from Barry Altman and others. Threats of legal action, name calling and other such things. He was also very demeaning of the communities that would have had the most interest out of these too. Especially when he couldn't get his own way.

Part of his major failing (apart from the vitriol) with communities was circulating "news" and drumming up interest with announcements of items that never even made it past the dreaming stage (remember some of the AIO computers he had planned like the Inviticus?). Also lets not forget the infamous Chinese production facility that turned out to be a Siemens factory and the announcements of announcements for announcements of things that not even been thought of yet. And announcements of things he haden't even done (remember when he claimed he was in talks to take over the full Commodore and Amiga branding?)

The C64x was a nice idea but it was priced way out of a lot of peoples pockets. And their go to sales line for a while was "We are trying to make the Ferrari and Lamborghini of the computer world." I mean over £300 for a novelty case is one thing but they had a system that was priced well over £1000 that was less powerful than something from Dell. Or even one that I could build myself. And then the Vic Mini, Vic Slim, Amiga Mio, Amiga Mini that were all re badged commodity hardware he was trying to sell at crazy prices. One of the Mini ranged ended up been over $3000!

Lets also not start looking into how they had grand plans of taking over the world of media by making stupidly expensive Amiga branded machines aimed at media production and broadcasting. Which, as many pointed out, they would have had issues with considering how well entrenched Apple is in that sector. And other high end desktop workstation manufacturers.

It's a shame that their forums got razed. The first forum was full of pure gold in terms of grand plans and even grander promises. And both forums were littered with tech support questions that were been handled by a few forum users while CUSA just sat back and didn't bother or said the people were wrong but never gave a reason why.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:44:39 AM by CritAnime »

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
It was just Linux running an emulator.  I wasnt impressed.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143