Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.  (Read 3489 times)

Description:

Offline Blinx123

• Show only replies by Blinx123
Re: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Have you looked into Amiblitz 3?

It's much more up to date than AMOS (even supports RTG, I think) and way faster.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline rockersuke

• Show only replies by rockersuke
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719550
I have some questions to ask about AMOS Pro.

1) Where can I get the full version of AMOS Pro?
2) Does it come with examples and manual (PDF) in case I need to use them for help reference?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AMOS Pro is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there?
4) Would I be able to develop Workbench application?
5) Could I access the hard drive, I/O functions to save/load while blitting sprite?
6) Is it an object oriented language allowing me to make classes and functions to be called anywhere in the program?
7) Is it a compiler or an interpreter?

If all of these questions are answered where the result makes me happy as it gives me all the tool I need to make my project then I will use AMOS instead.

Thanks in advance.

1-3) -> AMOS Factory:
http://amos.pspuae.com/

4) Short answer: no. Long answer: Not without some rather dirty tricks.

5) Yes

6) No. It's procedural, but not object oriented.

7) Both!

My own experience with AMOS is just from writting simple text adventure games, but some quite good homebrew Amiga graphic adventures have been made with it.

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »
Do a warlords remake but don't make it like warlordsII

Warlords had it right it just wasn't balance enough and too many bugs I reckon, I used to make up my own rules for human players to make it more challenging

But yes an RPG is a great place to start
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719550
I have some questions to ask about AMOS Pro.

1) Where can I get the full version of AMOS Pro?
2) Does it come with examples and manual (PDF) in case I need to use them for help reference?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AMOS Pro is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there?
5) Could I access the hard drive, I/O functions to save/load while blitting sprite?
6) Is it an object oriented language allowing me to make classes and functions to be called anywhere in the program?

If all of these questions are answered where the result makes me happy as it gives me all the tool I need to make my project then I will use AMOS instead.

Thanks in advance.

Rockersucke answered your questions, but as far as literature goes I must recommend the book Mastering Amiga AMOS by Phil South.
It's a good book for beginners (even non beginners), I have the revised edition myself, it's a good book, I do not have any PDF of it but it's worth buying.

As far as AMOS software goes I have Easy AMOS, AMOS the Creator, AMOS Pro, AMOS 3D, AMOS Compilers, AMOS Sprite X and AMOS TOME.
(got multiple versions of all of em and updates also).

If you want anything of it I can upload it on my webserver and give you a link :)

Offline blanning

• Show only replies by blanning
    • http://www.brianlanning.com
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719498
I am going to be purchasing PureBasic for the Amiga and I want to develop a full blown game for the calssic Amiga. It is going to be AGA running with 64 colors however I do not know where to begin.

Can someone point out to me what type of game the community like the most: RPG, Fighting, Racing, etc? If you guys could give me your input in ideas, plot, game type it would be great to help me get in the right direction.

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd do (essentially) a new bard's tale, but made for AGA and the 68030, with a complete new story and larger world.

I really liked Hybris also though.

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »
Quote from: rockersuke;719557
1-3) -> AMOS Factory:
http://amos.pspuae.com/

4) Short answer: no. Long answer: Not without some rather dirty tricks.

5) Yes

6) No. It's procedural, but not object oriented.

7) Both!

My own experience with AMOS is just from writting simple text adventure games, but some quite good homebrew Amiga graphic adventures have been made with it.

Thank you for answering my questions :)

@Blinx123

Blinkx123 concerning AmiBlitz3 I also believe it is a VERY POWERFUL LANGUAGE.

So I want to ask the same questions towards AmiBlitz3 if the answers are better than the one I get for AMOS I will develop my project on AmiBlitz3 instead:

I have some questions to ask about AmiBlitz 3.

1) Where can I get the full version of AmiBlitz 3?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AmitBliz 3 is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there and where?

P.S "Before I make this huge project I need to make two games first with their own editor for free to be released on Aminet to get my practice ready and to build my main project on the concept of these two games. Pretty much the same concept of warming your car after being parked under -30 degrees with heavy snow before you take it for a big long ride."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:42:53 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719589

If you really want an OOP language as question 6 suggests, maybe you'd be more interested in the AmigaE compiler.  It's downloadable from the Aminet.  You just download the old shareware release and copy the registered compiler to  it's bin directory since it is now freeware.  There are loads of modules for it in the original archive and it makes great workbench apps.

I don't know much about the AmiBlitz compiler but I do know it's not object oriented and it requires an FPU to run the editor.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:09:08 PM by SamuraiCrow »

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719589
Thank you for answering my questions :)

@Blinx123

Blinkx123 concerning AmiBlitz3 I also believe it is a VERY POWERFUL LANGUAGE.

So I want to ask the same questions towards AmiBlitz3 if the answers are better than the one I get for AMOS I will develop my project on AmiBlitz3 instead:

I have some questions to ask about AmiBlitz 3.

1) Where can I get the full version of AmiBlitz 3?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AmitBliz 3 is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there and where?

1. The actual webspot has been down for the last two months or so (malware attack)
Therefore, you'll have to get it of Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiblitz3/files/

2. It should. And if not, there are still tutorials and code snippets flying around.

3. The community is somewhat small compared to the AMOS community, but should be plenty big enough to keep you going.

http://amiblitz3.amiforce.de/main.php

4. I don't see why you wouldn't. Blitz Basic supported workbench applications all the way back to the original Blitz Basic 2.

5. Yes.

6. I don't think so. Don't know why you'd even need it though. If there's anything you should grave for, it's concurreny. Concurrency is what will catapult software development into a new age of prosperity. OOP is just an outdated paradigm propagated by people who think everything should be put in a giant, bloated framework.

I don't know where you get the idea from that OOP allows for classes and functions to be called anywhere. Pure OOP (seldom utilized, even by those who say they were coding in OOP) is much more isolationist than any other paradigm (being mainly focused on stability and security, rather than performance or elegance). Which is also why real OOP doesn't really work with concurrency (or co-routines, for that matter).

7. Strictly compiled

Offline tolkien

• Show only replies by tolkien
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
Why waste money in PureBasic if it´s not developed for Amiga anymore? Amiblitz is the answer I think.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
Quote from: Blinx123;719600
1. The actual webspot has been down for the last two months or so (malware attack)
Therefore, you'll have to get it of Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiblitz3/files/

2. It should. And if not, there are still tutorials and code snippets flying around.

3. The community is somewhat small compared to the AMOS community, but should be plenty big enough to keep you going.

http://amiblitz3.amiforce.de/main.php

4. I don't see why you wouldn't. Blitz Basic supported workbench applications all the way back to the original Blitz Basic 2.

5. Yes.

6. I don't think so. Don't know why you'd even need it though. If there's anything you should grave for, it's concurreny. Concurrency is what will catapult software development into a new age of prosperity. OOP is just an outdated paradigm propagated by people who think everything should be put in a giant, bloated framework.

I don't know where you get the idea from that OOP allows for classes and functions to be called anywhere. Pure OOP (seldom utilized, even by those who say they were coding in OOP) is much more isolationist than any other paradigm (being mainly focused on stability and security, rather than performance or elegance). Which is also why real OOP doesn't really work with concurrency (or co-routines, for that matter).

7. Strictly compiled

We have a WINNER  :D AmiBlitz3 it is!!

I am going to do two different types of games (first) with their editor to get my programming practice polished and strong. Ones I release them in Aminet I will start on the main RPG project. However, there is one little condition in all of this. When I finish 90% of the main RPG project (ones I start it) it will not be released until I get help from the community itself. I would be needing graphics artists for my game and I need a programmer who specialize or good in game AI. These two here I am weak at and will not be able to do them at all.

But when that time comes I will be requesting the help.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
Quote from: tolkien;719606
Why waste money in PureBasic if it´s not developed for Amiga anymore? Amiblitz is the answer I think.

I just want to correct your information...PureBasic IS STILL being developed for Amiga and supported!

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719614
I just want to correct your information...PureBasic IS STILL being developed for Amiga and supported!

The AmigaOS version is actually the slightly outdated 4.0 release. It has also gone OpenSource, so I don't think there's even a need to buy it.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 03:46:26 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;719508
RPG's are amongst my favorite, though I'd love to see more futuristic/dystopian themed RPG's like Shadowrun as opposed to more fantasy/mid-evil based ones. But that's just me...

...not that I don't love my Ultima's and all...

...oh man, if only classic Amiga had a port of Exult! Not sure if it could handle it though.

Either way, I'm glad to see you have the interest in developing for AGA Amigas!!! :)

There actually IS a port for classic Amigas.  http://hol.abime.net/3444

Unfortunately the only place I could find the download was on Aminet and it is a really old version (0.93).  The latest version is 1.4.9rc1.  Anyone have experience in cross-compiling?

The other downside is that right now, it requires an RTG card.  Anyone know how difficult it'd be to port it to AGA?

Looks like it uses SDL, but then so does ScummVM and there is an AGA port of that, right?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;720837
There actually IS a port for classic Amigas.  http://hol.abime.net/3444

The other downside is that right now, it requires an RTG card.  Anyone know how difficult it'd be to port it to AGA?

Looks like it uses SDL, but then so does ScummVM and there is an AGA port of that, right?

slaapliedje

I replaced all of the SDL code in ScummVM AGA to native code, this took a very long time but was worth it.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
Nice!  Have you taken a look at Exult and seen what that would take to get a working port?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 01, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
I'm already a bit busy, see my sig.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!