Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Personal Paint 7.3 Bug thread  (Read 25283 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARCTopic starter

Personal Paint 7.3 Bug thread
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:45:58 PM »
I purchased Personal Paint 7.3 when it was released, and found a myriad of issues with it. I want to start a thread to see if others have similar issues so we can get them fixed. Please don't interpret this as a PPaint bashing thread, because it is awesome software. Here is what I have found so far.
1. It does not run at all on 68000 CPU's. Even in emulation with WINUAE - I have it on my A500 with an ACA500+ and it refuses to work.  (It is advertised to work on 68000 Amiga's, and previous versions did)
2. There is no install routine, even though it is mentioned multiple times in the FAQ and guides included on the CD. This also means you have to set your assigns manually, yet this is not covered anywhere in the docs.
3. Fonts do not always work. On my WINUAE session, they work ok, on a real A1200 with an '040 and 64 MB of RAM and an MKII flicker fixer, if you type on the screen the text might appear to the upper right or bottom left... Tested in all resolutions. Before the MKII is blamed, old PPaint works, and 20 year old DeluxePaint text works fine on all screens.
4. The documentation is all over the place, and has not been edited since 1997. It talks about utilities drawers that don't exist and modules that are nowhere to be seen. It might take two or three days to clean up the documents, but it is silly that it was not done.
5. The Spline tool (To make a curved line) behaves like the fonts - It does not appear where you click the pointer, but sometimes far above, sometimes far below
6. The solid line drawing tool behaves the same way as #5

Have any of you had the same experiences, or bugs of your own that should be cleaned up? Add them here! And I will add more as I find them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 12:12:04 AM by Dynamic_Computing »

Re: Personal Paint 7.3 Bug thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:27:50 AM »
I tested all the strange graphical issues such as the fonts issue and line issue on my Amiga 4000 using standard AGA, and they worked ok. I am pretty sure it is an incompatibility with the MKII board causing the problems. It is a brand new installation if AmigaOS 3.1.4, and all the graphics modes are customized properly. I know it should work, because all of the other and much older graphics software I use works fine on the MKII.
Any help I can give to the Devs, just let me know. I want the product to be a success (and also want it to work)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
Deluxe Paint V seems quite stable as an alternative!  :D
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline roberthazelby

• Show only replies by roberthazelby
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »
I’ve had no issues typing text on my 3.9 A1200. I’ve just tried it on my 3.1.4 A1200 this evening and I have the same text issue. The cursor moves when you type but nothing appears.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:49:27 AM »
2. There is no install routine, even though it is mentioned multiple times in the FAQ and guides included on the CD. This also means you have to set your assigns manually, yet this is not covered anywhere in the docs.

Just unpack to the destination of your choice. There are no assigns that need to be set, PPaint sets them itself when it starts up if they are not already set.

3. Fonts do not always work. On my WINUAE session, they work ok, on a real A1200 with an '040 and 64 MB of RAM and an MKII flicker fixer, if you type on the screen the text might appear to the upper right or bottom left... Tested in all resolutions. Before the MKII is blamed, old PPaint works, and 20 year old DeluxePaint text works fine on all screens.

No idea about this, they work for me (under WinUAE though so ...) Before you dismiss the flicker fixer , please try without it. Can't see why it shuld affect enyting though.

What screen resolution and size are you using, try a really standard one without overscan and no autoscroll. Weird stuff with mouse position can hapen on some system with autoscroll, might possibly affect this too.

5. The Spline tool (To make a curved line) behaves like the fonts - It does not appear where you click the pointer, but sometimes far above, sometimes far below
6. The solid line drawing tool behaves the same way as #5

Definetly feels like the austoscroll thing might be affecting this.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
I?ve had no issues typing text on my 3.9 A1200. I?ve just tried it on my 3.1.4 A1200 this evening and I have the same text issue. The cursor moves when you type but nothing appears.

IUUC there's choice of intuitions with 3.1.4 which version are you using?

Offline roberthazelby

• Show only replies by roberthazelby
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
I'm using the standard intuition. Not the one that lets you drag windows off-screen.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
Same here with the intuition. Standard version on 3.1.4 - but I use the new version on my A4000 with AmigaOS 3.1.4 (this one is 3.9 with the 3.1.4 upgrade script run).
I have tried in resolutions ranging from 320x200 up to some of the more extreme resolutions available to the Indivision. I don't doubt it could be an issue with working with the MKII. My point is the old version works fine with it, And DPaont works fine with it, so there is a reason the new version of PPaint fails with it.
So PPaint modifies my user startup when I Iaunch it and adds and assign? Huh...

Offline broadblues

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 12:13:05 AM »
So PPaint modifies my user startup when I Iaunch it and adds and assign? Huh...

Ofcourse it doesn't.

If PPaint: assign does not exist it's created and assigned to the program directory on startup then removed at prgram exit.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Several of is were talking about this new PPaint during a live stream of a DPaint tutorial - and many of us are having the same issues, and so far not even a "We aknowledge it and we are working on it". I was told a few weeks ago that one of the devs would contact me, but nothing... I was excited to do a review of the software on my YouTube channel, but I really, really don't want to do a negative review. I really hope someone is listening and helps fix this software. I would have gladly paid three or four times the price they are selling it for if it will make it work right.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 09:34:52 AM »
Several of is were talking about this new PPaint during a live stream of a DPaint tutorial - and many of us are having the same issues, and so far not even a "We aknowledge it and we are working on it". I was told a few weeks ago that one of the devs would contact me, but nothing... I was excited to do a review of the software on my YouTube channel, but I really, really don't want to do a negative review. I really hope someone is listening and helps fix this software. I would have gladly paid three or four times the price they are selling it for if it will make it work right.

I got no specific message to contact you, although I don't know who you might be outside of the forums.  But this is the second or third time I've talked about PPaint on forums and people of have "insulted" me behind my back without realising they are talking to my face!

I just spent some considerable effort fixing a bunh of bugs for the recent release, I've no more time for PPaint just at the moment, many prjects to work on, but will inevitably come back to it.

From this thread so far as I can tell this issue only occurs on 3.1.4 so which could mean two things:

Bug in some component of 3.1.4 (gfx lib or intuition I'd guess)

Obscure bug in ppaint only reavealed by 3.1.4

guest11527

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »

The text engine had not been modified or altered in 3.1.4, but if you find something, please let me know. I'm happy to take bug reports.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »

I got no specific message to contact you, although I don't know who you might be outside of the forums.  But this is the second or third time I've talked about PPaint on forums and people of have "insulted" me behind my back without realising they are talking to my face!

I just spent some considerable effort fixing a bunh of bugs for the recent release, I've no more time for PPaint just at the moment, many prjects to work on, but will inevitably come back to it.

From this thread so far as I can tell this issue only occurs on 3.1.4 so which could mean two things:

I hope you did not think I was insulting you. I just want some aknowledgment that the problems exist and are being addressed. This is Doug from 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast, and I have been wanting to do a review of the new software since I heard a new version was being released. I pre ordered it and was terribly excited about new software for the Amiga in 2019. When I received it, I realized it does not seem to work on any 68000 CPU, even though the old version did, and all of the promotional materials say it works on any Amiga including A500 and A600. Now, I own plenty of Amiga's, so it is not the end of the world, but it is a HUGE issue to advertise a product to work on a platform that it does not work on. Even if the solution is spending 10 minutes changing your PPaint.net page to say "New version requires '020 or better" is a actually a solution to the problem. Of course, I would rather be able to use it on my 68000 based Amiga like I do the old version.
I have had several conversations with Matthew Leaman whom I purchased the software through - at least three via messenger and email - and he assured me he would contact the devs and have them get back to me. This is what I was saying above - it was over a month, and I heard nothing, and PPaint is useless to use for me.
My A500 won't run it at all on my ACA500+, yet works fine if I plugged my '040 card from my A1200 on it. My A1200 exhibits the above symptoms that renders the software totally unuseable. I literally cannot use a single pixel brush. My A4000 mostly works, but with at least 3 or 4 times as many crashes as version 7.1. Yes, all my machines currently have AmigaOS 3.1.4, but I tested the 68000 issue on WinUAE and it fails there too when emulating a 68000.
My point of saying I would have spent several times more money on this product is accurate - I am hoping that you guys see that you could have a viable, sellable and hopefully profitable product if you can get it to work reliably. If the attitude is "It's only $15, so we won't bother to fix it", then we will all just go back to the free 7.1 version that works fine (even on 3.1.4, so it is hard to blame  3.1.4 for the issues) and also continue to use DeluxePaint.
I only have about 750 subscribers to my weekly YouTube channel, but I also know and work with several other fairly well known people in the Amiga Community - and all of us communicate. I want to be able to say "Buy PPaint! It's worth every penny" to everyone I know in the community, but I cannot, as it does not work with the software and hardware we are using today.
For heaven's sake - I even offered to re-write the 22 year old AmigaGuide that comes with the new software - It still does nothing but talk about Cloanto and has no reference at all to the new features.
I get that you guys are busy, and respect that, and I hope you understand this long winded message comes from someone who wants you to succeed . My direct email address is douglas@dctechaz.com if you want to communicate directly.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
Ah Doug, I know who I'm talking too now :-)

I did put "insult" in quotes, so I'm not exactly insulted by just alittle frustrated by people grunmbling about me to me in forums, perhaps I'm not as notorious as I'd like to think ;-)

I just want some aknowledgment that the problems exist and are being addressed.

WRT to the A500 issue I believe we sent you a 68000 specfic build, which if I understand correctly still had a 68020 depndency lurking in there somewhere. Might be libnix not sure. 

I don't have A500 setup to test on at the moment. I have FS-UAE on my laptop but have only got a image of my a1200 on there for the moment. I can only use that for short testing sessions as it causes my poor aging linux laptop to over heat! (As an aside tips on fixing that would be helpful!).

WRT to the 3.1.4 issues this thread is the first I've heard of it.  I will have to setup a 3.1.4 config on my FS-UAE at somepoint but I'm full on busy at the moment.

I will look into this soon.  I cannot make promsies of how soon soon is.

These days it's not amatter of how many devs per prject but haow many projects per dev, and I have more than a few to maintain, without getting started on my own!.

For heaven's sake - I even offered to re-write the 22 year old AmigaGuide that comes with the new software - It still does nothing but talk about Cloanto and has no reference at all to the new features.

I'm just comparing the 68k and OS4 distribution archives, looks like the newer docs are missing from the 68k distro, will get that fixed.

Offline kolla

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »
Again I am dumbfounded by how "important" developers lack hardware and test environments  ::)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox