Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GuildWars2 PC build  (Read 3849 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: GuildWars2 PC build
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 29, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
Quote from: Duce;709739
Integrated graphics will run GW2 poorly at best.

AMD is better than Intel on chip graphics, but it's still no replacement for a discrete card.

The YouTube link of GuildWars2 running on the exact hardware I am thinking of getting does not look bad at all, though I could not understand the foreign language it was being played in, so I don't know what the text or numbers meant, as I have never played the game.  If anyone knows what the frame rate the game is running at in that video, I would like to know.  I would also like to know what detail settings were being used in that video.

I know what the resolution of the screen was, as I saw that much, and it is smaller than what my Son would like to play it at, but he can live with a smaller resolution until a couple of months later, when he can afford to upgrade to a discrete video card that can run the game at 1080p and 30fps or better at a medium or better detail level.

The only other question is about this AMD APU and it's capabilities to run this game when coupled with a video card that is in the $180 to $250 range.  I would not want the AMD APU to hold back the game when using a good video card.

@koaftder,

Thanks for the tip on getting faster RAM.  I will keep that in mind when I am ready to order the parts.

Anyone want to argue for using an Intel Core i3 instead, even though this will cost more, not counting the required purchase of a video card immediately, as the built-in GPU of the Core i3 could never play GuildWars2 at an acceptable frame rate?  I know that any version of the Core i5 would be the best route to take ultimately, but that pushes us too far out of our price range to even consider.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:00:47 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
If you haven't seen my post on AWN, you may want to review my post there: http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36462&forum=17&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#682851
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline hektic

• Show only replies by hektic
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
Hi Amigadave,

Have you looked at the new i3-3225?

It has the HD4000 IGP that has, up until now only been available in the K versions of the Ivy Bridge i5's and i7's.

I'm going to use one of these in my mini itx HTPC!

Cheers

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »
Quote from: hektic;709803
Hi Amigadave,

Have you looked at the new i3-3225?

It has the HD4000 IGP that has, up until now only been available in the K versions of the Ivy Bridge i5's and i7's.

I'm going to use one of these in my mini itx HTPC!

Cheers

Yes, I looked at all the Core i3 products as well as some Core i5 CPU's, but for what we are trying to accomplish, the AMD APU products are a much better fit, plus they provide twice the video performance and a lower cost than the Intel equivalents.

I still like the products I outlined earlier in this thread.  The only thing I will change is possibly switching to the A10 model APU's and a FM2 motherboard, if they are priced within my budget.

I also like the Hybrid CrossFireX technology that allows us to add a discrete video card into one of the PCIe x16 slots and Windows7 Pro will see the video card in the PCIe slot, plus the video card portion of the APU, as one combined video card that is more powerful than either of the individual video cards are alone.

Same principle as system builders who buy a CrossFire, or SLI capable motherboard and install only one video card when they first build the system, but later they add an identical 2nd video card and enable the CrossFire, or SLI mode to use both cards together as one more powerful video card, when they have the money to add more performance.  That makes more sense than removing the existing video card and selling it at a loss, then buying a more expensive and more powerful video card to replace the one that was removed.  In fact, the CrossFireX technology can even support 3 video cards working in tandem, but I don't know if the Hybrid CrossFireX is able to support 3 video cards, with 2 of them being real PCIe cards and the third being the video card portion of the A8, or soon to be released A10 APU's.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:28:33 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)