Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blizzard SCSI-Kit IV  (Read 867 times)

Description:

Blizzard SCSI-Kit IV
« on: March 27, 2003, 03:55:54 PM »
Everything works perfectly, apart from the occasional lockup which leaves usually a number of
applications dead, so that they cannot be quit for example. While usually not all programs fail,
Workbench always does. This phenomenon can happen even twice a day, or it may not happen for a week
(during which time the CPU is mostly doing calculations).

I tried several "drop" tactics, not using a certain patch/app for a while, and the same happened in
no diminished way. Also this testing is very time consuming, because I cannot even produce it, I just
have to wait and see every time.

This is posted in hardware, because while the problem may be of a software
nature, I am currently suspecting that the SCSI bus locks up. That
would in my opinion be capable of these effects, and explains why WB has most problems as it wants to
keep up with the volume/drive status. So people with similar hardware, or who had similar problems,
would you have a word of advice? Details at the end.

Perhaps it is a clash between drivers of hardware. Or there exists a piece of software (hack) that can reset
this SCSI bus without reboot? That could then, not solve the problem, but halve its negative effects.

My setup:

Hardware A1200, Blizzard 1260 accelerator, Mediator A1200 PCI (Voodoo3 and nic),
Seagate Barracuda ST39173N SCSI drive, IBM IDE drive, old Philips CD-RW, some IDE doubler

Software OS 3.5, 1230scsi.device v8.5 (on chip), Blizkick 1.24, MCP 1.33 (tested w MCP off, didn't help), recent dnetc

Offline GPT

• Show only replies by GPT
Re: Blizzard SCSI-Kit IV
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 04:00:05 PM »
It could be faulty ram modules.

Or that some static sensetive electronical junk on your amiga now faild because of inproper handling.
(It´s always worth a shoot ;-) )
NWO tba 2012

Offline pVC

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 04:33:30 PM »
Make sure that you have Reselection option set same way for all scsi devices. Preferably reselection switched on for all. I had once reselection disabled for some devices and got scsi-bus lockups then. Check it with Unitcontrol program from scsi-tools archive for example. Then you can set that option with ScsiConfig program for HD:s and with MyUnitcontrol (from aminet, add to user-startup) for CD-roms.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 09:50:18 PM »
Are you using the phase 5 SCSI Kit or the DCE one? I've got a DCE version 8.5, but I always had it patched down to 8.1 with SoftSCSI from Aminet. Never had any trouble with it, but then again, only my external cartridge drives are on my SCSI chain; I don't use them very often.

I remember reading a link through Amiga University about bugs with the SCSI Kit. You might want to check there. It was in the hardware/accelerator category, if I remember correctly.

Offline MikeB

• Show only replies by MikeB
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 11:08:09 PM »
read this document it will solve your issues

http://uk.aminet.net/pub/aminet/biz/patch/SoftSCSI.readme

and then download the file

SoftSCSI.lha  

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 06:10:17 PM »
I think my CD-RW is Philips CDD2600. http://makecd.core.de/cdwriter.html mentions some issues with it. So after a few days with changed bus settings I noticed not a complete lockup, but that the CD-drive just stopped working completely, before a reboot that is. The settings were synchronous for both, hard disk reselection off, CD-drive reselection on. But this is an improvement in that only the CD-drive goes down.

In conclusion, I'm considering getting a better drive at some point, which could also write onto the kind of CD-RW disks that are currently on sale, etc.