Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android vs Jailbroke iPod  (Read 2569 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Android vs Jailbroke iPod
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
Which do you prefer? Why?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:41:58 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Droid vs Jailbroke iPod
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
Are you sure you don't mean the iphone?   :confused:

I don't see any point comparing an android phone to a ipod which is just an mp3 player...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
No, I hate phones, I'm looking at related devices as computers and their flexibility of uses.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;655632
No, I hate phones, I'm looking at related devices as computers and their flexibility of uses.

The Droid is a phone.

If you mean iOS or Android, iOS at the moment for me, the ui is slicker and more fluid, the experience is easier for the user ( certain Android devices only get certain versions of the os, and on certain carriers, it's very confusing to the end user), apps on iOS are slicker and more professional generally.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
Re: Android vs Jailbroke iPod
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
I prefer my HTC Inspire over an Iphone 4 any day.  I have a much larger screen, ability to upgrade storage as i want, can change my battery, use the awesome much more customizable Android OS, 8 MP camera with dual LED flash/flashlight, many more free apps and games, and overall much happier.  Both my brothers had Iphones, one just makes phone calls with his the other is more techy and went to an HTC because of the supperiority of it.  Iphone is a social status phone and if you compare it to an HTC, or Samsung Galaxy S or the Droid 3 it falls way under par with them not to mention many other Android phones.  Like everything Apple produces now days it is always behind on tech, specs and about the only thing they ever are ahead on is the price.  Must admit though they have a great marketing department, how else can they make so many people think they need one.  (by the way since we are talking jail broken my brothers HTC Inspire is jailbroken and runs Android 3 honeycomb, mine still runs 2.2 Froyo)

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:37 AM »
Quote from: danwood;655633
The Droid is a phone.

If you mean iOS or Android, iOS at the moment for me, the ui is slicker and more fluid, the experience is easier for the user ( certain Android devices only get certain versions of the os, and on certain carriers, it's very confusing to the end user), apps on iOS are slicker and more professional generally.

I have iPad2 and I can not stop using it even 2 months now after I bought it. It is the most interesting device I have ever played with! :)

Also I have seen other tablets - nothing can compare with Apple tablets. They work soo smooth and perfect. I've tried many Android devices - nothing satisfied my needs - all works a bit slower than Apple.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »
Android and iPod are comparing apples and oranges, really - since Android is primarily found on phones.

But I get your drift.

I have both Android phones and iOS devices and prefer the iOS ones by far.
I would not touch an Android powered tablet for a few more OS revisions, since it's still essentially just a phone os on a tablet.

Offline CodePoet

• Show only replies by CodePoet
    • http://www.UltraKeet.com.au
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:17:25 AM »
I've been thinking of an accurate way to describe this. Essentially, the iPhone feels like an android device with training wheels. Yes, the UI is pretty, transitions are smooth, it's fairly stable, but you're stuck using Apples crapware to sync/transfer data, irreplaceable battery, non-upgradable storage

Android feels more like a tech's phone, it feels like it resonates more with Amigans; Yes it lags a little occasionally, carriers like to add their bloatware **** onto it, but overall you've got more freedom and flexibility to do whatever the hell you like. Manufacturers are even unlocking the bootloader to give the user freedom to flash their own ROM.

Also, as soon as you plug your android device in, you're prompted with "What would you like to do via USB?" - Options include using the phone as a mass-storage device, running HTC sync, tethering (use your phone as a GSM modem) or even reverse tethering (using the PC's internet connection on your phone). No restriction to use iTunes or other crud

In short, neither is perfect. I've never been a fan of Apple (and especially their holier-than-thou fanclub), but they've built a solid mobile OS.

I love android, and own several android devices (HTC Nexus One, HTC Desire HD, ACER Aspire A500 tablet), but I still don't think they're ready to go head-to-head with apple in the 'numbnuts with phones' realm.

Edit: Duce is unfortunately right, Androids Honeycomb OS looks and feels fantastic (I've been using it for a couple of months now), but it still needs a couple of revisions before it's ready to properly compete
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:20:36 AM by CodePoet »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:26:30 AM »
Quote from: CodePoet;655657
I've been thinking of an accurate way to describe this. Essentially, the iPhone feels like an android device with training wheels. Yes, the UI is pretty, transitions are smooth, it's fairly stable, but you're stuck using Apples crapware to sync/transfer data, irreplaceable battery, non-upgradable storage

Android feels more like a tech's phone, it feels like it resonates more with Amigans; Yes it lags a little occasionally, carriers like to add their bloatware **** onto it, but overall you've got more freedom and flexibility to do whatever the hell you like. Manufacturers are even unlocking the bootloader to give the user freedom to flash their own ROM.

Also, as soon as you plug your android device in, you're prompted with "What would you like to do via USB?" - Options include using the phone as a mass-storage device, running HTC sync, tethering (use your phone as a GSM modem) or even reverse tethering (using the PC's internet connection on your phone). No restriction to use iTunes or other crud

In short, neither is perfect. I've never been a fan of Apple (and especially their holier-than-thou fanclub), but they've built a solid mobile OS.

I love android, and own several android devices (HTC Nexus One, HTC Desire HD, ACER Aspire A500 tablet), but I still don't think they're ready to go head-to-head with apple in the 'numbnuts with phones' realm.

Edit: Duce is unfortunately right, Androids Honeycomb OS looks and feels fantastic (I've been using it for a couple of months now), but it still needs a couple of revisions before it's ready to properly compete

Would your opinion change if the iphone were jail broken as it says in the thread title? I know that jailbreaking an iphone still screws up if you access itunes but still...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:57 AM »
Jailbreaking screws up nothing with iTunes or the store.

You get an update notice via iTunes, decline it.  Jailbroken forever, or until the next version of the firmware is cracked IF you choose to keep on the Apple supplied patches, you will need to wait until a jailbreak comes available for it.  Jailbreaking actually got the bug fixed (pdf) this last round long before Apple got around to it.

I find all my iOS devices nice to use in stock mode, but Jailbreaking under Cydia certainly give you customization options you simply will likely never have under the stock iOS.  In some cases, stuff like tethering is only possible on jailbroken devices if your provider does not support it on the iOS devices.  Sadly, Apple locks them down pretty good out of the box.  They are usable in stock forum, but it's akin to buying a shiny new car that you cannot open the hood on, can't tinker with the motor if you are a gearhead.  Jailbreak/Cydia allows that.

Both Android and iOS are very nice to use, but I have had a far more stable and crash free experience on the apple products than I have on Android.  Rarely hit apps on iOS devices that crash, where as the wide spectrum of hardware (and differing Android OS versions) Android runs on can sometimes be a bit sticky.  Virtually all of the major handset makers customize their interfaces on Android, making a "universal" experience that iOS offers a little harder to come by.

That being said - I hate the iPhone as a phone, for voice calls.  It certainly is usable, but I was a BB user for many years and I've used far, far better handsets when it comes down to sheer voicecall quality.  Thankfully I use it more of a SMS/text and email device far more often than for a voice phone.  I'm not an Apple fanboy in the least, but I do like their consumer goods - but Android's market share is only going to increase, and Android devices are more than usable and improving quickly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:13:00 AM by Duce »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:19:35 AM »
I jail broke mine, but have been curious about the Apple free alternatives.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
I jailbroke my first iPhone, as I had that when there was no App store and I wanted Apps :)

But now I just leave my iOS devices unjailbroken, as long as the devices works as advertised I don't feel the need to modify it.

For me the tight integration of hardware and software coupled with the fluid and responsive interface make the iPhone feel more Amiga like than the Android devices (which are more like the PCs of the 90s)

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Also, for anyone relatively "techy" (like anyone on this board I believe), you can replace an iPhone battery for well under $10.

They are replaceable, just not easily replaceable for the average end-user.

I've had several iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4) and replaced the battery once on each just to keep max battery life. But really, I could have easily gone 2-3 years without replacing them. Going on a long hike in a couple of weeks (Mt. Washington) and just ordered a new battery for my 4 just in case. It lasts all day as it is, but I figure for $10 what the heck.

Offline tone007

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
Android devices are far more customizable and computerlike.  Nothing like being able to drop to a CLI to take care of business!

..not to mention the great variety of hardware choices and price ranges. I started with two of the cheapest Android devices available (<$99 apiece) and enjoyed them enough to upgrade to a more reasonably powerful tablet/phone.  No regrets, and it makes the iPhone users jealous.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Acill

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »
I am an Apple fan, I have tried Android on several device as well. I'll admit I like it over IOS if the IOS device isnt jailbroken. That being said I will take my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 which are both jailbroken over an Android device any day. I can do anything they can do and better. I have an external HD on my iPad 2, USB port, keyboard and mouse control if I want, loads more control over the devices and have made it look how I want it to look.

You can do a lot of this with android too, but you have to jump through hoops to make it happen. The fact that all devices are not on the same revision of the OS is a MAJOR faul tin them. Before they fix this I wouldnt touch one. It makes it a pain in the ass, and the cell providers do not have it in there best interest to give you updates that give added features. They want you to buy more phones and lock you in to more years, at least here in the US.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics