Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10397 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
Quote from: persia;741916

Just replace the tablet with a HP all in one.

I personally don't like a laptop as a desktop replacement would prefer a smaller desktop to a laptop. Like a HP all-in-one for example.

Maybe you should get the CPUs out for comparison. Some of them are very tiny.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;741918
This sums it up nicely.

Yeah I can't agree that that's been my exact experience.

The hard drive grinding in Vista is due to a few things: the much better indexing and search service Vista has over XP; super fetch which over time learns to predict and pre-load things you mostly use; and system restore and defrag which are on by default.  I turn off super fetch, system restore and defrag.  And the sidebar-useless to me.

Explorer and multimedia issues?  I don't know what he's on about there-never had an issue with either.

File copy and delete issues, lack of drivers, graphics corruption, orphaned windows, poor reliability are all pre-SP1 issue, which I admit I never did use.

I read lots of similar negative reviews but not any that were post Vista SP1 or SP2.

I nearly upgraded all my 3 Vista SP2 systems to Win 7, until I got a work laptop with Win 7, and found other than the marginally quicker boot time, there was nothing else there that made the upgrade worth the money.

But whereas Vista's issues were performance, Win 8's are usability=Metro is innapropriate for a non-touchscreen environment.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
Deniers gotta deny.

Quote from: commodorejohn;741917
Keep repeating your same old mantra, persia. Maybe if you wish hard enough it will come true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 05:12:34 AM »
I think there will always be a place for desktop workstations, they may become a niche but like mainfarames they will continue to exist for a long time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 05:13:07 AM »
I think all this talk of the death of the PC is premature. It is just the consumer market they are talking about. The business world will still need the PC and the business world is still using Windows Xp widely as well as Vista and Windows 7. I really don't have a problem with any of these versions of Windows. They all can perfom any computing function I need to do. Vista SP2 with 2gb+ of ram works just about as well for me as Windows 7. They aren't that much different inside. I disable prefetch, the background defragmenting and system restore in both and that takes care of the excessive hard drive access. I've no interest at all in Windows 8. I will have to deal with it some day, I'm sure, but I can wait a year or 2. By that time, a lot of the issues people have with it will be sorted out. The same thing happened with Vista but by the time that happened, it got such a bad rep they had to rename it Windows 7.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;741874
If Windows ARM had been full Windows (like Linux - same system, multiple architectures), they would have had something, especially with an x86-to-ARM (and vice versa) emulator. Instead, they're forcing everything through the 30%-cut Windows Store, cutting off decades worth of programs and reasons for using Windows. They had an opportunity to unify the platform - instead of just the UI - across form factors and they blew it.

At one point Windows NT did run just like you describe, on multiple architectures... I know, I has a ARC bios Olivetti prototype machine that ran NT 4.0 -  which was actually quite nice.  The machine has a MIPS processor. I had to chuck it when a cheap KVM blew out the PS2 port. before that, it would actually run 16bit x86 Windows programs under emulation but not 32bit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:35:57 AM by bbond007 »

Offline djos

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 06:12:14 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;741931
At one point Windows NT did run just like you describe, on multiple architectures... I know, I has a ARC bios Olivetti prototype machine that ran NT 4.0 -  which was actually quite nice.  The machine has a MIPS processor. I had to chuck it when a cheap KVM blew out the PS2 port. before that, it would actually run 16bit x86 Windows programs under emulation but not 32bit.

I've seen NT4.0 running on SGI and DEC Alpha machines too. :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 06:55:01 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;741931
Quote from: djos;741936
I've seen NT4.0 running on SGI and DEC Alpha machines too. :cool:
Indeed - I just got NT 4.0 up and running on an Alpha board the other day (gotta get some more RAM before I can put 2000 on it...) They even supported PowerPC, way back in the mists of time...unfortunately, they ditched everything but x86 with 2000 (save for a leaked RC1 beta that ran on Alpha,) but Windows Server up through 2008 did run on Itanium (I know that must thrill you as much as it does me :rolleyes:) Looks like they finally went x64-only for Server 2012, though - huzzah for homogeneity :/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:01:08 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »
Quote from: persia;741926
Deniers gotta deny.
Your rhetorical prowess is overwhelming.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:03 AM »
There are many reasons why Microsoft is failing.

1. Give customers what they want. If consumers wanted a tablet interface they would have purchased an Windows Mobile or iOS. Hence, why most people hate Windows 8 on their PCs.

2. Microsoft should adopt a more flexible business model giving consumers the right to use their software products for free if they agree to accept advertisements - for example during bootup/shutdown or on the desktop. A lot like how Google derives their income.

3. Microsoft has to accept that they missed the mobile and tablet boat. Google and Apple already own it. Xbox is doing well and until the next big thing arrives MS should concentrate on their existing product lines but at the same token be ready to learn from their past failures. A lot like how Blu-ray was a success and Betamax was not.
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Quote from: Megamig;741946
2. Microsoft should adopt a more flexible business model giving consumers the right to use their software products for free if they agree to accept advertisements - for example during bootup/shutdown or on the desktop. A lot like how Google derives their income.
NO. Computing needs ads like colons need cancer.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
btw. A Windows 8 install is 15GB. Up from the 10GB install for Windows 7.

That's a big chunk out of a 120GB SSD.

I don't think it's metro ui that makes people hate Windows 8. I dislike it because there are no new features, it's like a cut down version of Windows 7.

Microsoft might want to make applications, instead of trying to make you buy a new operating system every year.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline djos

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
I agree, I mean wtf is the journaled file system and proper object oriented architecture?

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
I look forward to websites dedicated to PC believers.  Maybe a red (Windows 8) versus blue (Windows 7) camps, both demanding new hardware for their aging OSs as the world moves on largely oblivious to them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
Windows dying? Yeah right.

I notice the people that post here are Windows 8 bashers, but I've been using it for quite sometime now. From Alpha/Beta to RTM/Gold.

I love it, boots in a couple of seconds because the desktop isn't loading (loads when you click on the desktop application if you need it). Quick/snappy and navigating is easy to do swipe to the left swipe to right how hard is that???

The logon screen is great can add notifications and various other things, so some items you don't even need to logon to see. Birthday notifications, how many emails are in your inbox, weather.... all sorts :-)

I don't miss the start menu, and it is about time it died. Although we will be stuck with it for another generation yet until the younger kids have come through anyway.

Windows 8 apps are great, multiple windows are still there just run the mouse pointer down the left hand side and you get a bar appearing with thumb prints of all open applications.

The desktop is still there but I'm finding that more and more a cluttered mess, but there are applications that still need it :-(

The task manager in Windows 8 is 100% better with a nicer layout with a lot more information then Windows XP/Vista and 7.

The Windows 8 tools are far better too and for an enterprise/domain environment the list of tools and updates that just make everyday maintenance etc has far improved.

There is a huge number of the new generation that also think the same way, just need to visit any school. Having a 6 year old I can see where technology will be going.

Tablets, smart phones and laptops are the norm. They just jump on any of the three and straight away discover how to use Windows 8 and most haven't touched a computer before. It's amazing to see.

I remember the same arguments coming up when the start button was introduced and look where that led us?

IE10 in Windows 8 Application mode is great, thumb nails replaces the tab bar which makes it easier to see each webpage live without switching and many more cool little features one finds.

Windows 8 is great, I think they may have their timing a little off but in the long run they have made the right move.

The surface devices are fantastic too, great piece of kit. I'd recommend the pro over the RT version though. The RT is a strange device.

Anyway I wont continue on and wait for my stoning to begin ;-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline ashtontrist

• Show only replies by ashtontrist
    • http://www.fashiongames247.com/
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 24, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
I dont think Windows is dying. However a lot of things need to be changed. For example if you have used all OS from XP to Win8, You will find there isnt much difference anywhere. So it really that upgraded. In Win8 the only feature they have added is that the welcome page looks somewhat like a android mobile..