Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AF 2005 Issues  (Read 1407 times)

Description:

Offline SkuldChanTopic starter

• Show only replies by SkuldChan
AF 2005 Issues
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:26:09 PM »
I bought AF 2005 the other day and while I wait for the DVD :) - I downloaded it and installed it on my PC. However when I boot it - it just sits there at a blank workbench screen. There's a message before that in a full window, but it flashes by so quickly I can't read it. Its a pretty basic machine - Athlon 64, 2048 megs of ram, nvidia 6800 GT and its running Windows XP Pro.

I used to be an Amiga die hard - I still have an Amiga 4000 on my office desk, but admitedly it hasn't been switched on in over a year :( (something about those 233 mhz cyberstorm ppc being a little too flakey) so I'm a little rusty on how to fix this this or even diagnose it. Its quick enough I can't hit both mouse buttons to go into the early startup screen either.

Any suggestions?

Oh on a side note - I installed it on my IBM T42 laptop just to test and it worked just fine - however it eats the batteries alive.

Offline Mangar

• Show only replies by Mangar
Re: AF 2005 Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:37:45 PM »
I'm not familiar with Amiga Forever but it sounds like you are just sitting at the Amiga Boot Screen. Its waiting for a Disk to be inserted. Or an .ADF file in this case.

You can find out more about Amiga Emulation at www.winuae.net

www.abime.net is also a good resource for Amiga Emulation.
Waiting for X1000

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 08:21:55 PM »
Well no - because if you get a re-targeted screen that just says "workbench screen" it did something - it booted something.

Offline Mangar

• Show only replies by Mangar
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:05:26 PM »
Ahh.. sorry, I thought you meant at the kickstart screen.
Waiting for X1000

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »
What exactly are you doing?
Are you trying to launch a game with the cloanto launcher, or just running winuae alone?, or are you booting the KX-light autoboot feature, that boots directly into amiga os?
For me the cloanto launcher works perfectly with games and the demos included. By the way i usually use winuae alone without the launcher.
Tell me the exact steps you are using, but the default configs from cloanto should work for a start.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 12:27:04 AM »

However when I boot it - it just sits there at a blank workbench screen. There's a message before that in a full window, but it flashes by so quickly I can't read it.

Ok, when this happens again, press F12 to open the GUI, go to the CPU page and select "match A500 speed". Then click on Reset. When the Amiga screen goes black, hold down both mouse buttons and keep them pressed until the early startup menu appears. Now click on "Boot without startup-sequence". Press F12 again, go to the CPU page and change the speed setting back to "Fastest possible". Click on Ok. In the AmigaDOS window enter

ed s:startup-sequence

In the editor window scroll down to the last two lines. These are LoadWB and EndCLI. Insert the following line, so that the last three lines read:

LoadWB
ask "press enter to continue"
EndCLI

Press Esc and enter X to save the changes. Press Ctrl-Windows-Windows to reset the Amiga. From now on before the flashing AmigaDOS window disappears, it asks you to press enter and you have enough time to read the error messages.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 03:15:52 AM »
Ahh perfect - its all coming back :).

Anyhow it says "invalid resident library"

In the past that usually meant an incorrect version or some lib.

So what I did is renamed dir and ran detect and repair on af2005 - it recreated it, but I still get the same error and problem...

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 05:45:27 AM »

_ThEcRoW wrote:
What exactly are you doing?
Are you trying to launch a game with the cloanto launcher, or just running winuae alone?, or are you booting the KX-light autoboot feature, that boots directly into amiga os?
For me the cloanto launcher works perfectly with games and the demos included. By the way i usually use winuae alone without the launcher.
Tell me the exact steps you are using, but the default configs from cloanto should work for a start.

I'm actually just pressing the Amiga OS 3.x link from the launcher.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 03:51:49 PM »

Are you sure you didn't change anything on the configuration ?

Does AmigaForever start from CD ?

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html#24

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 05:43:52 PM »
I am positive. I've even uninstalled - made sure it actually uninstalled all its files and reinstalled. It really is the stock config - I can email it to you if you like.

On the CD, unfortunately I haven't recieved that yet. I went for the offer where you get the cd's/dvd's, but also get to download it right away. I have the one you can download right away.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
So I was playing around with it and discovered that if I disabled Picasso it worked just fine with the default config.

It was then I noticed the DEFAULT config (ie the one thats used when you just click the boot OS 3.x button) only has 2 megs chip, zero fast, zero expansion and 8 megs rtg. So I changed the fast ram to 8 megs and now it works just fine.

Now whats odd is that on my T42 it was set to 2 megs chip, 0 fast, 8 megs expansion, 8 megs rtg.

I'm not entirely sure why they differed - especially as both installs came from the same file.

Oh well - I guess this is one issue to mark down in the knowledgebase :).

Thanks guys!