Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) Which would you prefer next?  (Read 5030 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
(RFD) Which would you prefer next?
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »
For my next magic trick ladies and gents, I invite the audience to participate in what happens.

Now that @ao e-mail addresses are fixed and the bug list is low, I'm thinking about the next great whathaveyou to build and would love your input, by way of vote (or comment).

Which of the above would you prefer to see next?

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Re: (RFD) Which would you prefer next?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »
I like to see some kind of aminet 2.0.
What I mean is that ease of use should be introduced in aminet.

I mean assume myself as a guy just got his OS4.  Normally getting proper apps via aminet takes lots of time, needs a Guide and even though you're not sure if it's all.  So my idea - maybe not a new aminet storage, just a smart browsing interface.  ANd having all apps proper gives the OS4 Amiga the strength, those points to show one's pal "I got all I need"

This is important!
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
I'd again like to express my interest in a bounties system. Failing that, my second choice is for a User Group registry - sort of like an up-to-date version of GAUHPIL. Then I'll know where to visit when I travel!

I remember when the old file galleries were closed down due to disuse and I don't really know what benefit another file repository would have. And music mods I think are well covered by Aminet, Exotica, and the like.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »
I voted other and had in mind a SVN hosting service for Amiga-related closed-source programs that cannot be hosted on any of the open-source hosting services such as Google Code or SourceForge.net .

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:37:51 AM »
What I'd like to see is a knowledge base.  There are many threads where people ask for help in solving a problem but it can be time consuming looking through all of them.  If there was a way to condense the information into a Problem: - Solution: system, it would be an incredible resource.

It is probably not feasible for admins to do this alone but users could be reminded to submit complete solutions to the knowledge base once the problem was solved.  Also, encourage/remind people to actually post solutions instead of posting, "never mind, I solved the problem, bye and thanks."

• Winning!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:58:33 AM »
Quote from: yogisumo;510083
What I'd like to see is a knowledge base.  There are many threads where people ask for help in solving a problem but it can be time consuming looking through all of them.  If there was a way to condense the information into a Problem: - Solution: system, it would be an incredible resource.

You mean, like Amigawiki.com?
//* Signature Free *//

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
Expand into retro gaming (Amiga&C64) it is sure to bring in new visitors. :afro:
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
I'll second the request for the knowledge base, too.

I know how that is probably my single favorite thing about Microsoft's OS entries.  If I run into a bug, glitch, error or question, throwing " site:support.microsoft.com" into Google will almost always take me directly to my answer.

Having a similar resource for Amiga would be a huge help.  I think Amigawiki maybe tries to do this, but somehow fails in execution.  (I don't think Wiki is really the best method for such a resource.)  

I'd picture it more as being controlled by a group of several moderators who review recommended threads.   Once they determine a thread is suitable, a copy is cleaned up and properly tagged for appropriate systems and OS revisions, then permanently numbered (for easy reference) and added to a read-only section with advanced search options, based on those tags and the content.

Then, the next time someone asks why their A1200 2.5 IDE hard drive keeps corrupting data, we can just say "Did you check kb " and they can read all about Max Transfer.  ;)

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;510088
You mean, like Amigawiki.com?

I had never visited Amigawiki but had a quick look.  It's similar to what I proposed but I'm thinking that a lot of threads on amiga.org are about people with specific problems.  If the problems and solutions could be massaged into a format that could be searchable by keyword and organized it would be incredible.  Searching through threads is helpful but tedious.  Btw, this is a problem in general with searching for anything on the web.  One major reason to visit a site like amiga.org is for help with specific problems ( knowledge ) from the user ( base ) since so many companies and accompanying resources are gone.

----------------------------------------------------
Problem: My A4000 doesn't boot with my new CSPPC.

Keywords: A4000, CSPPC, boot, etc

Attempted solutions:
1. reseat ppc,
2. jumpers
3. check power supply
4. etc

Successful resolution: warmed up a4000 in microwave and sang campfire songs.

FAKE Helpful links FAKE:
http://know.amiga.org/a4000_faq.html
http://know.amiga.org/csppc_faq.html
http://know.amiga.org/scsi_faq.html

-------------------------------------------------------

There are resources on the web with general troubleshooting information and articles and threads but none of it is organized or consolidated in any meaningful way.  Maybe there could be a reminder to submit information to the knowlege base when people post to threads? I hope this helps clarify.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:51:02 PM by yogisumo »

• Winning!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »
Quote from: Ilwrath;510221
I'll second the request for the knowledge base, too.
A knowledge base is a good idea, but a little bit on the "dream on" side of reality unless you're talking about a wiki-style arrangement.

• There's no one person, or even a group left in the community that has that much knowledge about the platform.
  • Even if there were, what's the incentive to put in the MASSIVE amounts of work?  Especially in light of the fact that he/she would be getting nothing out of it, financially or otherwise.
  • Microsoft and Apple have thousands of REAL, full-time employees whose job it is to manage and update such information.
Seriously.  Like *all* community projects these days, everything is done on a "volunteer / because I feel like it" basis.  This site for example is run solely because I enjoy the coding, and because -- thanks to the great subscribers and donations -- it pays for itself every month.

Had we stayed with Xoops, I have no doubt I would have lost interest and closed the site in April / May.

Back to the subject though, seriously, I think Amigawiki is a great idea and the way to go to establish what you want (I couldn't think of any way to do it better).  It simply depends on the community to help build it by sharing all the little bits that each of us know.  I just don't get the impression that anyone in the community is interested.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »
A knowledge base is a good idea, but a little bit on the "dream on" side of reality unless you're talking about a wiki-style arrangement.

I don't necessarily think so.  I'm not sure I've ever bought into using a Wiki as a serious reference tool.  Sure, Wikipedia is great for looking up cultural references.  But, even with the large ratio of dedicated users vs the trolls, they have their share of problems.  And in a population like Amiga where the trolls, shills, and criminally insane are nearly as common as the legitimate users, I can't really see a useful Wiki emerging and not getting continually trashed.  

As for getting people to help pitch in, yes, it would take a team of Knowledge Base Builders, much like the forums need a team of Forum Moderators.  Personally, while I have less than no interest in reprimanding people for slinging personal insults or pirate links around the Forums, I'd volunteer to review technical threads, clean, tag, and archive them...  There may be some others who feel the same.  Or, maybe there isn't.  Who knows?  It IS just a request for discussion, at this time.  ;)

Anyhow, you know it as well as I do...  A great wealth of information is buried in the forums of this site.  The problem is, it's buried in this site.  If those posts could be recognized by users and flagged, it wouldn't take a prohibitive effort for a volunteer knowledge base team to copy, clean, tag and post the information into a repository.  

We already have file repositories, music repositories, and user registers.  If we're talking about building something new, why not try something actually NEW?  A knowledge base would be some really slow progress.  Volunteers can't (and shouldn't) pitch in a lot of time...  But small amounts of effort collected over time can add up to large amounts of progress.  

We have a lot of users here who have posted a lot of great technical information.  It all feels kind of wasted, though, because it's all trapped in forum posts and not easily findable, archive-able, or linkable.

Offline Bazzaq

• Show only replies by Bazzaq
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
A file repository for hard to find drivers/manuals/patches would be nice. Also like the idea of the FAQ/type pages for reference before asking for help in the forum.

Great work so far though Wayne. Thanks,.
--------------
A4000T 060@50/PPC@233/128MB,Prometheus/Voodoo3/Lan,DCE SD/FF,Prelude

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »
Quote from: Bazzaq;510268
A file repository for hard to find drivers/manuals/patches would be nice. Also like the idea of the FAQ/type pages for reference before asking for help in the forum.

Great work so far though Wayne. Thanks,.

I also voted for a file repository, but like many of the other ideas put forward by other members.

I would not expect, or want a duplication of Aminet, but it would be nice to have some of the files relevant to forum discussions available for a quick download, plus many of the newest next generation applications, games and patches for BOTH AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS2.2 (as well as 68k and AROS, I should have mentioned).

I know it is hard to choose which files should be here and which should be left out, but I think that the more difficult ones to find, plus the most popular ones that are perhaps only available on other sites that have limited bandwidth, should be considered and will be a great service to the community.  Get a moderator to do the choosing, or open a poll to vote on each file after suggestions are solicited from the members here.  After the initial group of files, do another poll each 3 to 6 months to add more recent files and those that members think of in the meantime.

Just an idea that I have not thought through for a long time, so faults in it may be thought of, or improvements to the idea to make it better.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
I miss the faces of amiga.org link
Maybe the site could make it easy for users to add a picture of themselves. It's nice to see who you're talking to :)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
a file repository would be awesomeful.

Theres already enough .MOD stuff out there, and keeping track of all of it is probably a pain!
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao: