Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 First Contact Latest Batch  (Read 3934 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: AmigaOne X1000 First Contact Latest Batch
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;741563
One thing I think people forget (which I pointed out on amigworld) is because this is a unique system and not just a second hand mac or pc the value of it will remain quite high, I'm pretty sure if i wanted to I could sell my X1000 for close to the price I bought it and this is after a years plus worth of use out of it, for many other systems this would not be the case. If you really think of it this way the X1000 might only cost you a few hundred quid as I'm sure you be able to get most of the money back when/if you want to sell the unit, so grab one, who knows the value might go up, it did with Eyetech boards.

You sound like you are doing marketing for a oldtimer or a piece of art (f.e. painting) in a auction. But we are talking not about collectors items but about computers that are today normal for everyone. That is what the X1000 has to compare with and there it is completely crazy overprized. And when I hear that the successor (propably) is not (much) cheaper and that another planned model even more expensive then it looks completely insane. It would not work in the 68k community, not in AROS nor MorphOS camp and for sure not in the "outside world" but only in AmigaOS camp where a couple of hundred user seem to buy everything at any price when it is running AmigaOS. The AmigaOS users are melk cows but they seem to be happy with it. I personal had hoped that Trevor would invest his money to go in the opposite direction (cheaper options to get a bigger community) but it seems not. In the AROS world people are working on cheap options like ARM-based devices so I hope this will succeed.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
I do partly agree with you, I would like to see the price point entry for AmigaOS4 hardware much lower, I'm just pointing out that you could try out OS4 and not worry to much about the huge investment because the second hand market for OS4 hardware you usually get a good return.

PS I dont want to come across as a OS4 fanboy as i see it we have a low cost entry to the next gen amiga and that is Aros, I really liking Aros, specially the last few version its getting nearly as good as AmigaOS4, I enjoy both so you really cant afford OS4, Aros is the way to go.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;741574
I do partly agree with you, I would like to see the price point entry for AmigaOS4 hardware much lower, I'm just pointing out that you could try out OS4 and not worry to much about the huge investment because the second hand market for OS4 hardware you usually get a good return.

PS I dont want to come across as a OS4 fanboy as i see it we have a low cost entry to the next gen amiga and that is Aros, I really liking Aros, specially the last few version its getting nearly as good as AmigaOS4, I enjoy both so you really cant afford OS4, Aros is the way to go.

Sorry I did not want to insult you in any way or call you a "fanboy". It is only there were a lot of comments like how great it is that there will be a "X2000" (or even more enthusiastic) how great this is (one even said we in the AmigaOS spend much more in opposite to the poor "relatives" in the other camps). So it was a general comment from me. There will not change much as long as there are enough people willing to pay that much (it seems that are couple of hundred buyers are enough). It is (from my view) a waste of money and the totally wrong direction. But as long as Hyperion and the hardware companies can melk the camp and as long as there are enough people happy being "melked" they will not change their mind. When I read that there will be a hardware even more expensive than the X1000 I thought I am in the wrong movie. Trevor is certainly a kind and honest person but I disagree with his ideas.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:22:27 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline ciento

• Show only replies by ciento
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;741575
When I read that there will be a hardware even more expensive than the X1000 I thought I am in the wrong movie. Trevor is certainly a kind and honest person but I disagree with his ideas.
Well, are you upset that someone has a diamond necklace,
a Ferrari, a yacht, an airplane, a swimming pool, exotic wines
yada yada yada? All of those can be replaced with mass-market goods
at a fraction of the cost. Why impose peasantry, or practicality,
on those who earned wealth, and wish to enjoy it on this side of
the great divide? Enjoying what you have, without envying
those who have more, is good affordable health insurance.
Cheers

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
Quote from: ciento;741579
Well, are you upset that someone has a diamond necklace,
a Ferrari, a yacht, an airplane, a swimming pool, exotic wines
yada yada yada? All of those can be replaced with mass-market goods
at a fraction of the cost. Why impose peasantry, or practicality,
on those who earned wealth, and wish to enjoy it on this side of
the great divide? Enjoying what you have, without envying
those who have more, is good affordable health insurance.
Cheers

So the old slogan "Computers for the masses, not the classes" is replaced by "Computer for the Rich"? And in most cases a Ferrari has better quality than a mass-produced car (of course not to the extent it costs more) what cannot be said for the X1000 or successor. It is more a collectors item than a computer system. And instead to try to win more users by affordable hardware they make it more exclusive. Really a strange concept to me. Good luck with it.

Offline Madshib

• Show only replies by Madshib
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;741582
So the old slogan "Computers for the masses, not the classes" is replaced by "Computer for the Rich"? And in most cases a Ferrari has better quality than a mass-produced car (of course not to the extent it costs more) what cannot be said for the X1000 or successor. It is more a collectors item than a computer system. And instead to try to win more users by affordable hardware they make it more exclusive. Really a strange concept to me. Good luck with it.

Especially when the Amiga was touted as a low cost computer in the days of the eighties in terms of value vs. the competition. The playing field has been leveled in terms of hardware, but the OS is what really shines. I guess you can only put the OS4 saloon in a Mercedes but not a Toyota(cheek insert tongue).

Offline Acill

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
So let me get this right, the hardware isnt even supported fully by the shipping version of OS4.1 it comes with? I take it back, this is a foolish item to put your money into. At least the hardware in the G5 works with MorphOS and is getting better all the time. WOW. Thats a real shame.

Why the heck doesnt the OS4 team get some support out for the Macs like the MOS team is doing? At least you would sell more licenses and fund more development. Selling 1000 licenses for a $200 mac would bring in a hell of a lot of money over selling a board in a standard PC case that will only run OS4 and sell to a few few number of people.

I dont want to start any kind of flame war here, but I just dont see how you can sell hardware thats not even supported by the OS it was supposedly built for at this price point.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
Quote from: Acill;741594
I dont want to start any kind of flame war here, but I just dont see how you can sell hardware thats not even supported by the OS it was supposedly built for at this price point.
hundreds of customers disagree.

once again on this site people who have no interest in AOS4 whatsoever and have no intention of using it  are derailing a thread about it. grow up.

thread locked.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Thread unlocked.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
good you unlocked it, so all can speak and not only the few rich... i was once an amigan too. but i got squeezed away from my amiga love. its to expensive and os4 still not out of beta and support the hardware. i cant find any reason or excuse to buy into the nextgen amigas. but its good that we have a 100 rich people around here that at least hold it alive. so we know it will not die out completely. while i wait (fence sitter since 2000) i will just fiddle around with aros and winuae... until things get better.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Quote from: Madshib;741589
Especially when the Amiga was touted as a low cost computer in the days of the eighties in terms of value vs. the competition. The playing field has been leveled in terms of hardware, but the OS is what really shines. I guess you can only put the OS4 saloon in a Mercedes but not a Toyota(cheek insert tongue).

Low cost my rear.
My company's four user 68k systems started at under $1000.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »
Quote from: A1260;742428
good you unlocked it, so all can speak and not only the few rich... i was once an amigan too. but i got squeezed away from my amiga love. its to expensive and os4 still not out of beta and support the hardware. i cant find any reason or excuse to buy into the nextgen amigas. but its good that we have a 100 rich people around here that at least hold it alive. so we know it will not die out completely. while i wait (fence sitter since 2000) i will just fiddle around with aros and winuae... until things get better.

Well I would not call myself rich, but in debt to have X1000. High goals deserve high sacrafice. Used or new SAM 440s are out of your reach?

They are increasingly on sale :-)
http://amigaworld.net/modules/classifieds/
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742448
Low cost my rear.
My company's four user 68k systems started at under $1000.

LOL how people forget;) high end Amiga's were never cheap.  If you wanted that back in the late 80's/early 90's then it was time to buy a clone PC.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
Quote from: vox;742477
Well I would not call myself rich, but in debt to have X1000. High goals deserve high sacrafice. Used or new SAM 440s are out of your reach?

They are increasingly on sale :-)
http://amigaworld.net/modules/classifieds/

The only second hand hardware worth running OS4 on is the Pegasos II.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »
@vox

What are you going to do with your X1000 once you get it?
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 27, 2013, 12:18:05 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742556
@vox

What are you going to do with your X1000 once you get it?

Must resist snide comment about moving icons about and snapshotting folders. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini