Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long lost guru has found his way home  (Read 2002 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the CatTopic starter

Long lost guru has found his way home
« on: December 24, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
Hello, and thank you all for keeping Amiga's supported over the years.

My name is Pat McDonald, and I had the great honour to be Technical Editor at Amiga Format for about 10 months, back in 1990-91.

I still have a couple bits n pieces, and it's time it all got made accessible and useful. A 1.2 A500, a base V3.04 A1200, my beloved dev SCSI drive from an A3000, few other drives, big stack floppies and CDs, Surf Squirrel, PCMCIA digitizer, few network bits. I hope to get them all running over a net, although I will need minimum 1.3 on the A500 for it to boot automatically. Still got some software that needs 1.2... and yes, it is that rare and useful it is worth aiming to keep.  My A3000 is long gone, sadly. 32 bit support is due to be axed on some  Linux distros, so perhaps it is not such a big loss in todays terms.

Don't ask me how to fix things, I'm usually better at breaking things than fixing them, and I only got the job because I was already a trained computer journalist, not because I was especially knowledgable about the Amiga.
Quite a few trolls have had a pop at me over the years about the fact, and quite frankly, a lot of the time, they had a point. :laughing:

Still, I've been burning myself and electronics with a soldering iron for about 45 years now, so I'm not exactly without some skills. Software I tend to either look blank or write custom pieces of hex occasionally. Also fix and build simple 3D printers and scanners now. :)

It's good to make a fresh start, because when I bailed, the writing was on the wall, with PC hardware getting so cheap, it was rude not to use it. The Amiga had peaked, Format had peaked in terms of sales, and the only way was down.

But not out, it would seem. :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:21:00 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi