Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.  (Read 7997 times)

Description:

Offline NyQuil

• Show only replies by NyQuil
Re: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 07:29:27 AM »
Superfrog! I love the game but the music drives me mad after a while.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 08:24:34 AM »
Some games felt like you were walking around in the Antarctic (Dennis AGA) because there was no background music or ambient Sound FX.

It was excusable on OCS/ECS but not on AGA machines!

...I guess what you really mean to tell us is that you find it excusable on OLDER games, and not specifically on OCS/ECS games (because there is no difference in the soundchip whatsoever the OCS/ECS and AGA machines inbetween)?
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 09:17:02 AM »
Whirligig and Virus deserve honorable mention as being incredibly annoying, both by virtue of a fiddle mouse control system.  It's a shame really because both were quite groundbreaking in their graphics, just that the control method has yet to be perfected.

It's rather like playing a flight sim with an offset exterior view permanantly enabled, getting a clear shot at anything is next to impossible.
Cecilia for President

Offline tokyoracerTopic starter

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:21 AM »
i renember my uncle got to the final level on nebulus. So amazingly hard! cant be too slow or too fast. little room for sucsess. I thought the 1st one was annoying!  :crazy:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »
I have never got past the second tower in Nebulus, in over a decade of playing the game on and off!

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline fastrene

• Show only replies by fastrene
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:50 PM »
The Game Wings is a great one love to play it ...Boulderdash for the amiga also a classic and the shadow o/t beast.
You keep on playing these games and annoying because you keep on trying to get to the next level
standard Amiga  A2000+pc board for gaming

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 12:29:44 PM »
As far as controls go I would say Thalion's No Second Prize. Whoever thought of controlling a motorcycle with a mouse isn't smart or clever.

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »
yeah i was a bit dissapointed by no second prize too...

i remeber playing the game demo off a cover disk, it was fast, easy to control. very arcade pick up and play, really got into it - nearly falling off the chair leaning into corners... all great stuff...

then the game came out... what happened?!?

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 12:42:12 PM »

Cymric wrote:
Hard Drivin' --- what a complete waste of a perfectly good christmas present that was.
I got that one for the pc, and it was very good playable.
Since mice didn't came standard with PC's, the developers included keyboard control.
Though there was a device that made kind of a steering wheel in combination with the Amiga mouse (to get an analog effect). Maybe Hard Drivin' is very cool to play with that device :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 12:48:06 PM »

mr_a500 wrote:

Prince of Persia - same as Another World: die, start over, die, start over, die....
Well, I just loved Prince of Persia. True, there were some very hard parts which had to be done over and over again, but there weren't many (and way not as many as Another World).
Prince of Persia is still my all-time fav game :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline fastrene

• Show only replies by fastrene
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
Prince of Persia - same as Another World: die, start over, die, start over, die....

Hahahahahha and try agian................

Tried it .......and tried it
super game
standard Amiga  A2000+pc board for gaming

Offline TheSLASH!

• Show only replies by TheSLASH!
    • http://www.nostalgica.nu
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »
Ricco: That's cool, that you made it too the end in Ricky... :) I did played this with a friend day and night, and there where no save option - as most of the games at the time, and you couldn't shoot at wrong time or jump from the wrong pixel, there where to little lives and bullets I think...

But I did waste to many days on It Came from the Desert too, and that's because we (I and my friend) din't figured out that we should go down under the south-west vulcano into the pit and kill the ant-queen.
I have even tried that now, after that I got that info, but din't make it.

Offline TheSLASH!

• Show only replies by TheSLASH!
    • http://www.nostalgica.nu
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 01:19:19 PM »
Odin: I think it's a great idea to control a motorcycle with the mouse, the only "analog" device at the time (that most people have), but I remeber it to be hard to handle.
As with Super Hang-On from SEGA, this one was even harder to control than No Second Prize.
But there was smooth 3D graphics in No Second Prize.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 02:04:25 PM »
Thankfully, Super Hang On had a joystick option.  Bloody difficult though!
Cecilia for President

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »
Most annoying Amiga game for me is Zeewolf. Whoever thought controlling a helicopter with a mouse was a good idea should be strangled.

What? Zeewolf is one of my top five games (Zeewolf 1 & 2). I have never used the mouse for controlling the helicopter - that would be way to tedious. Try it with the joystick.

As far as controls go I would say Thalion's No Second Prize. Whoever thought of controlling a motorcycle with a mouse isn't smart or clever.

That is the main reason I don't play this game much. I love the instant replay feature with multiple camera angles, but it's just way too hard taking corners when using the mouse. I wish this game had an option to use joystick.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 08, 2006, 08:43:28 PM »
I have never got past the second tower in Nebulus, in over a decade of playing the game on and off!

I usually start to play the game and play it many times in a row, learning how the towers work. I haven't completed the entire game, but I've managed quite a few of the towers. It is hard, but I wouldn't really go as far as saying it is one of the games one hardly can complete.

Games I really think have gone too far are Rygar on the NES, Mega Man VII on the SNES, R-Type Complete for the PC-Engine and the final boss in Phantasy Star II for the Genesis/MegaDrive. Man, what the heck where they thinking when they made the final bosses in those games?

In Rygar one has to replay WAY too much to reach the boss if one dies... and when the boss in itself is more or less impossible to beat, I just feel like throwing the controller into the TV-set.

In Mega Man VII one doesn't only have to play all of the eight regular robots first, and while 6 of them can be beaten while sleeping, two of them are just too frustrating and pure luck is what matters, it just seems TOO MUCH when finally reaching Dr. Wily... who, in turn, has attacks which are practically impossible to avoid and takes way too much damage, when oneself only can take 1 of his, 30 something, hitpoints each turn he attacks (and this is in his SECOND FORM, yes, he also has a first form to defeat). Ridicilous and makes the game seem completely worthless even though some of the earlier bits and pieces of the game have their moments.

In R-Type for the PC-Engine the final boss has two really huge rotating things which is attracted to ones ship and if touching them one is greeted with instant death. It took me like 50-60 snaps/reloads to manage the boss while running the game under emulation.

Phantasy Star II. Well. I got to the final boss without not that much trouble. Tried it and was smashed to pieces within seconds. Leveled up. Tried again. Was smashes to pieces within seconds. Kept on leveling up until it was way too time consuming to reach the next level (we're talking hours now) and still was smashes to pieces. Got fed up and used some action replay cheatcodes and maxed out all of my characters (they did reach their max levels), confirmed that I had all of the best weapons and magics and tried again. And, what do you know, I was smashed to pieces within seconds. So... once again, tried it under emulation, and realised that the final battle was based on pure luck. 90% of the time eveything went in the way of the boss, so by snap/reload I could go back before each of the attacks by the boss, making them eventually go in my favour... so, with way too much trouble and effort I finally got to see the ending sequences. I do not believe that there are many people out there in the entire world that have beaten this game without cheating.

In comparation Nebulus seems rather easy. Even though I haven't completed it, yet.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.