Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicate  (Read 3281 times)

Description:

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
Re: Syndicate
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 10:39:46 AM »
Hoya!

Boy, you are NOT lying for sure!!!

I ALMOST completed the damn level once!
Actually, if I am not wrong, I still had ONE foe to shoot down!
the problem was I ran out of ammo and just had the BASIC pistol to kill the guy... Who wore a full body armour and had a machine gun, of course...

So, I was a bit frustrated I must admit.

I admit it is quite fun to see the characters walking under 060! ;-)
I have just one small complain. The colours were not that pretty, I do not really like those brownish hues... Too bad there was no AGA version of this killer game for it would have been a MASSIVE hit!

And yes, the intro features sound. ;-)

Be funky

M A D

PS: if you like Bullfrog, try Flood! :-D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline NightShade737

• Show only replies by NightShade737
    • http://atomnet.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 11:47:29 AM »
The 'Atlantic Accellerator'.

Yeah, that mission was insane, I remember playing/completing it on both my A600 and A500+ and I remember it slowed down but was still playable. The only times I remember major slowdowns were times when Agents self destructed and as they did it the game sort of stopped, and then did about 0.3fps, added more to the intensity of the moment though.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 12:09:43 PM »
I bought syndicate as soon as it was released and played it to death. I was so addicted.

You learn a massive amounr about how the enemy AI works and how to take advantage of it.

Some tips:

1) Enemy teams never develop attack weapons beyond the Uzi/long range by default. If you develop heavy assault weapons, in time so will they. It's much more fun to divert your funds into body upgrades and rely on stealing heavy weapons. Use the persuadertron to get a full cryo chamber early on, you can use the agents therein to store weapons. The first new weapon you find is always given to your R&D team so make sure you use it first. Subsequent finds are yours to keep, you just can't reload them. Considering this, make sure you punish territories that have a military bias so you are forced to redo them occasionally. Consider it a smash and grab raid for the hardware ;-)

2) Enemy agents will always hunt your least armed agent first or if equally equipped, hunt them in numerical order.

3) Enemy agents don't appear duly concerned seeing any other of your agents whilst you first / least armed is still alive. They will only react to another agent of yours if you shoot first.

4) Enemy agents occupy zero volume and have little concept of height :-D. If you put your first / least armed agent somewhere fairly inaccessible, but with a space underneath, all the activated enemy agents will congregate en-masse on the point beneath.

5) Where (4) is impossible to acheive, you can ensure all your guys carry sheilds. The enemy will pile onto your guys position after pointlessly shooting for a bit. You can then send #2 in to roast them. Strangely, your flamer (or indeed any weapon other than explosives) will never hurt your own guys.

6) The flamer is incapable of injuring an enemy. It is always 100% lethal. Coupling the above observation, you can wait for the enemy to pile up underneath your first / least armed agent, then send number 2 in and give them a lick of flame. As long as you hit them, they will all die, none of them will be able retaliate. Use of any other weapon is not recommended for this trick. 15 aggrivated enemy agents simultaneously firing on your man with shotguns at exactly the same time will kill you unless you have a sheild activated.

7) For many normal missions, a squad of 4 v3 agents, armed with 8 long range rifles apiece will wipe the floor with the enemy, still relying on shotguns/uzis. They will never even get within a screens distance of you :-)

Recently I played it to see how quickly I can complete it.

The atlantic Accelerator is an exception to the weaponry rules. They all come equipped with minuguns aplenty. However if you make note of points (2)-(6) you will see a way to do it without a single casualty on your own team.
int p; // A

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 01:01:47 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Use the persuadertron to get a full cryo chamber early on, you can use the agents therein to store weapons.

On one of the early missions (I can't remember where) where you have to persuade a guy in it (west of the start, the start is near a long tunnel going north) I have this tendancy to equip everyone with a persuadatron and take a long walk round to the guy saying hello to everyone on the level :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 01:08:25 PM »
Atlantic accelerator was quite easy. I completed the last level many times on my standard A500. It was very easy to kill everyone with few Gauss Guns. Just go to the cross road and shoot Gauss Gun to every four direction and you surely hit agents before they get close. One or two members must carry miniguns for close combat if you miss some of them.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline MAD

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 01:17:42 PM »
Hoya!

@iti

Yes, I tried this but then something screwed up and I died! :-D

BTW, I guess you are aware of the Expansion Disk called American Revolt.
I got it from the web in ADF form and have NEVER been able to use it...
For those who suceeded, how does it look like? Are they the same lanscapes or new cities to explore?

Sigh... I WANT to play it again!!! I NEED my Amiga!!!!!!!

Syndicate rulez!

Be funky

M A D

Offline kevh100

• Show only replies by kevh100
    • http://www.kphonline.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »

NightShade737 wrote:
... game sort of stopped, and then did about 0.3fps, added more to the intensity of the moment though.

perhaps it was an attempt at bullet time :) I can remember seeing the missile from the gauss gun moving slowly through the air. I'd still try and aviod it even though i knew it would hit me :(

Great game though. The add-on levels (american expansion??? cant remember the name) thing was even harder to complete!

Kev

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 01:27:38 PM »
@StevenJGore

Yeah, I know no AGA Syndicate!  My fuzzy memory thinking of "A1200 Compatable" sticker on box.

Always though it was a great game but have never felt the urge to go back to it.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 03:00:47 PM »

kevh100 wrote:
perhaps it was an attempt at bullet time :)

:lol: So that's where the Wachowski's nicked the idea from :-P
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Robert17Topic starter

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 01:12:32 PM »
Well I saw it on ebay one day and it was kinda an impulse buy after quickly reading the review and bagging it at £2.99 lol bargain eh! I'm now spending more game time on my stock A1200 that on my 2.2ghz pc lol
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 01:20:05 PM »
The mission disk was released on a coverdisk of CU or AF. It was sortof half finished released IIRC. Required you to do a bit of tinkering to get it working.

Offline MAD

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 02:32:51 PM »
Hoya!

Aaaah, I see!

And how do you install it then?

Be funky

M A D

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 03:09:49 PM »
Atlantic Accellerator was easy to beat - once you knew how and weren't afraid to use this method.  Firstly, it's damned hard to do with an unexpanded system because of the low framerate.

Once you've overcome the real world hurdle, here's how you beat it.

Send in four heavily armored agents with nothing but medkits.  That's right, nothing but medkits.

Patiently wait for the bad guys to mob you - let 'em get close.

Then blow up your agents.  That's right, self destruct them.  By this point in the game you should be able to produce agents that can juuuuuust survive their own self-destruct mechanism.  However the bomb is powerful enough to kill enemy agents that are too close, which is what you've gotta do.  Get up close, then kill your agent.

Once done, start with the medpacks immediately.

Then grab all of the guns dropped by the enemy agents and go to town on the remainder of the bad guys!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 03:14:04 PM »
Abou27 wrote:
Ouch!

How many times this happen before you stop saving/playing?!

Twice, I think. Shame, 'cause they were good games. :-(

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 03:42:19 PM »
No no no! :-D

The best way to beat the Atlantic Accelerator is as follows.

1) Equip all four of your fully v3 agents with 4 energy sheilds, 2 flamers and 2 gauss guns a piece.

2) Take the squad in, enter team mode immediately, drop IPA levels and enable sheilds.

3) Exit team mode and move agents 2-3 away from the pad, leaving agent #1 alone. The first enemy will swarm onto him, but can't harm him. As long as your other guys are out of the firing line, disable their sheilds. The enemy wont take a blind bit of notice as long as your #1 is ok. A second wave will arrive shortly afterwards. Ensure your #1 guy is cycling his sheilds, whatever you do don't let him get vulnerable.

4) Wait for the commotion to stop. There are about 16 agents actually stood on #1's position. Calmly take another agent within flamer distance and give your #1 position a liberal lick of napalm. All the enemy agents will die. This is quite a spectacle ;-)

5) You can now take your other agents further out, leaving #1 right where he is ;-). You will find active enemy agents running in a loop, trying to get to #1's position but never quite managing it. Find a few nice corners where you can position your guys out of sight of the gun towers and let them use their flamers. When an enemy runs past, he'll get torched and as I said earlier cannot possibly survive.

6) After a while you've cleaned out all the agents apart from 2 inside some buildings and the guard towers. Gauss the guard towers to get rid of the latter. You don't want lasers slashing at your men.

7) Take another agent (never #1) and stand him in the doorways of the buildings where the last 2 agents are running in circles. Let him flame them automatically with higher IPA. Failing that, stand outside and gauss the corner of the building as the guy inside passes it.

All done. All enemy agents killed, no losses sustained. More than likely nobody ever even opened fire on your agents (other than #1).

:-D
int p; // A

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2004, 08:20:49 PM »
Meh.  My way is simpler! :)
Back away from the EU-SSR!