Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emulation quality on VIA mini-ITX  (Read 861 times)

Description:

Offline peroxidechickenTopic starter

• Show only replies by peroxidechicken
Emulation quality on VIA mini-ITX
« on: December 12, 2003, 10:26:20 PM »
I had a go at killing my pc yesterday and thought to myself 'This is it - I'm finally going to have to upgrade'  But how to get out of it for a smallish amount of money?...  Mini-ITX of course!  

First of all, does Win98 even install on modern hardware?  

And second, has anyone tried WinUAE on a VIA mini-ITX base computer?  

Anyway,  my Cyrix MII 333 coughed and spluttered it's way back to life - but now the best it can do 266MHz no matter what cpu setting I use.  Still, that's much better than the Blank Screen of Oblivion that I was looking at for a good chunk of yesterday.  
H2O2

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: Emulation quality on VIA mini-ITX
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 10:29:40 PM »
Never tried one of these boards, but with enough memory they should run UAE nicely.
The C3's are bad performers (comparable to 1st generation Celerons), but they should be able to emulate a 040 pretty well; just remember to set the JIT-cache high.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Emulation quality on VIA mini-ITX
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 10:37:47 PM »

peroxidechicken wrote:
I had a go at killing my pc yesterday and thought to myself 'This is it - I'm finally going to have to upgrade'  But how to get out of it for a smallish amount of money?...  Mini-ITX of course!  

First of all, does Win98 even install on modern hardware?  

And second, has anyone tried WinUAE on a VIA mini-ITX base computer?  

Anyway,  my Cyrix MII 333 coughed and spluttered it's way back to life - but now the best it can do 266MHz no matter what cpu setting I use.  Still, that's much better than the Blank Screen of Oblivion that I was looking at for a good chunk of yesterday.  

I have an 800Mhz Mini-ITX... I have run windows98, Win2K and AROS on it.

WinUAE runs fine, faster than the fastest Amiga. The latest version od WinUAE is great :-)

The FPU on the C3 is it's really bad point (normal operations are very swift), but even that is much much faster than any Amiga ever.

Get the Latest version of DirectX, to get the best gfx performance (great in P96 mode).