Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a quality, high performance gfx card  (Read 2091 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: Looking for a quality, high performance gfx card
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 31, 2003, 01:16:03 AM »
I like the PowerVR-based cards myself, but try findind one of the new
ones.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 02:01:58 AM »
The most powerful consumer (i.e gaming) card available at the moment is either the ATI Radeon 9800 or the nVidia GeForce FX 5900 (just released) - both are pretty level performance wise but the nVidia is marginally faster at higher resolutions. I'd go for the nVidia 'cause their driver support rocks.

My current "weapon of choice" is an Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4680 Turbo (actually an AGP x8 Ti4200) - It's overclocked to faster than Ti4600 specs and soft-modded into a Quadro4 980 XGL - works great with LightWave!

How to turn your GeForce 2,3 or 4 into a Quadro
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 02:05:33 AM »
right now the graphics card world is a bit strange....

you got the Radeon 9800 with again ATI's natoriously buggy drivers...their still buggy/unstable although not nearly as bad as they used to be...(alot of people will deny this and say it works fine for what they do..but the sad fact is the cards buggy with straight OpenGL tasks, in Lightwave for example if you run Blade.lws and make a preview it'll be slower then a geforce3 or even a 2ultra)

you got the FX cards from Nvidia...their very hot...their very buggy in the driver department aswell...but you can count on the drivers getting better... because nvidia cares about its drivers unlike ati

you have the GeForce4 TI series cards... great price, good performance in all modern games, and the drivers are solid as a rock...

I myself right now...things bieng what they are I'd go with a GeForce4 ... its cheaper... it'll do the same job just as well with what we have 'NOW" and by the time it wont you'll be able to get something more stable and higher performing then the either ATI or Nvidia's current 'top-end' offerings...

It really depends what you do though... if you play alot of games every day and dont care about real OpenGL support or possible driver issues with certin chipsets.... you can get a Radeon 9800 and have fun... "right now" I could say the same for the FX but Nvidia bieng who they are they will undoubtedly change this with future drivers..if you want decent/good performance at a price that will leave ya with some cash for the future I'd snag a Ti4400/4600 or 4800 GeForce4 ... their the best bang for the buck right now and their a good 'all around' card not just gaming... and not just windows... their pretty solid 3D performers for application 3D... etc etc etc..

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 05:12:47 AM »
I find my NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (tm) with 32Mb of VRAM is pretty nice. 4X GAGP with DVI interface (??). It's quiet too. Of course my favorite game right now 'runs best in 256 color mode' and runs on both OS/2 and windows 95. So I'm not exactly a power gamer (tried Morrow-Wind once, skippy to the point of basically unplayable) I've heard good things about Matrox cards, which everyone seems to be ignoring here.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline pVC

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2003, 10:09:44 AM »
And this is related to Amiga... how?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 10:32:12 AM »

pVC wrote:
And this is related to Amiga... how?

AmigaOne has an AGP slot, so does Pegasos.  That makes it an Amiga hardware discussion.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2003, 10:43:25 AM »

Aegis wrote:
The most powerful consumer (i.e gaming) card available at the moment is either the ATI Radeon 9800 or the nVidia GeForce FX 5900 (just released) - both are pretty level performance wise but the nVidia is marginally faster at higher resolutions. I'd go for the nVidia 'cause their driver support rocks.

My current "weapon of choice" is an Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4680 Turbo (actually an AGP x8 Ti4200) - It's overclocked to faster than Ti4600 specs and soft-modded into a Quadro4 980 XGL - works great with LightWave!

How to turn your GeForce 2,3 or 4 into a Quadro

Anyone know how to do this with the Linux NVidia drivers?