Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDload  (Read 5990 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Is it me, or do you find booting a game from disk much more 'romantic' than WHDlo
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 27, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
Why floppy disks will still out-cool all that has come since:

[youtube]X4SCSGRVAQE[/youtube]

Beat that, SSD!
int p; // A

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Quote from: Franko;656233
Wow... where do you live in some parts of Glasgow the average age of death for men is 56, Pollockshaws I think the area was, confirmed by WHO (World Health Organisation) just a few years ago... :(

Hey Franko, they only gave that estimate of death in Glasgow because they knew you lived there.

Where I live if you make it to your 70's you are regarded as one of the ancient ones who must have been around since the dawn of time, the average age of death in my town Livingston is 66... :eek:

Time is just tickin away, hahaha

Gawd I'm 47 so I aint to much time left awaiting the NatAmi's arrival... :(

Think it's time to spend me life savings on something else while I've still got the chance... ;)

If you are awaiting on NatAmi, the person working on it knows you, he is bidding his time, takin it slow, just to make you suffer. The day he reads your obituary, he will bring it out in the honor of your death, hahaha, life is so cruel, the only crueler thing would be to set up a Natami on your grave and have all the Amiga.org people use it in honor of you.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Quote from: smerf;656358
If you are awaiting on NatAmi, the person working on it knows you, he is bidding his time, takin it slow, just to make you suffer. The day he reads your obituary, he will bring it out in the honor of your death, hahaha, life is so cruel, the only crueler thing would be to set up a Natami on your grave and have all the Amiga.org people use it in honor of you.

Hi Smerf... :)

Now that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, it all one big conspiracy you know, their all out to get me (especially the mods, nasty humourless gits)... :(

Anywhoo, if they really wanna use it on me grave they are more than welcome, cos I intend to be buried at sea and hopefully the buggers can't swim... :)

Cheers

Franko

Offline smerf

Quote from: Karlos;656345

Beat that, SSD!

Wow Karlos,

That was really cool, how ya due tat

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

Quote from: Karlos;656250
Compared to waiting for cassette tape based games to load, floppy disk was awesome.

Wow Karlos don't you know anything, just put that cassette player in fast forward while loading a tape. Loads much faster than a floppy disk unless you have turbo boost on your floppy drive, with my turbo boost I could load a game in about 2 secs flat.

smerf

Offline smerf

Quote from: Franko;656359
Hi Smerf... :)

Now that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, it all one big conspiracy you know, their all out to get me (especially the mods, nasty humourless gits)... :(

Anywhoo, if they really wanna use it on me grave they are more than welcome, cos I intend to be buried at sea and hopefully the buggers can't swim... :)

Cheers

Franko

Darn that was what I was planning to do,

Oh well meet you at King Neptune's place, I hear he has a whole ship load of Amiga's that sank on its way to Norway.

smerf

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Quote from: smerf;656361
Wow Karlos don't you know anything, just put that cassette player in fast forward while loading a tape.

Yeah, but some of us liked to load a bitstream of data in the same order it was recorded ;)

Loads much faster than a floppy disk unless you have turbo boost on your floppy drive, with my turbo boost I could load a game in about 2 secs flat.

Well, even in the days before adf image mounting tools there was a dosdriver that allowed you to create virtual floppy disks on your hard drive or even in your RAM disk...
int p; // A

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Quote from: spihunter;656242
I like to stare at construction equipment in my spare time........

You do that too?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827

Beat that, SSD!

Ah, finally, some real music. Where can I order the portable version?
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info

Beat that, SSD!

I remember using a program like that on my A1000 ...22 years ago.
Best bit was the entire A1000 case resonated so it made a huge noise!

Offline motrucker

I could care less, as long as the program loads and runs!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
In answer to the OP, I think you're talking about the tactile sensation of putting discs in and out.

You get exactly the same thing with musicians, they prefer older synthesisers with lots of knobs because you can feel the changing of the sounds.  Modern synths have lots of knobs now but there's nothing quite the same as the instant feedback you get from playing with a genuine 70s synth.

Same reason I prefer to buy CDs instead of downloads.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
I think whdload and jst and the other hard drive installer are one of the best things about using an amiga today.  Checksum errors, swapping, loading times I do not miss at all.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Quote from: minator;656393

You get exactly the same thing with musicians, they prefer older synthesisers with lots of knobs because you can feel the changing of the sounds.  Modern synths have lots of knobs now but there's nothing quite the same as the instant feedback you get from playing with a genuine 70s synth.

Same reason I prefer to buy CDs instead of downloads.

You are right! Thats why I use analogue drum machines and synths if possible!

And thats why I prefer VINYL over CDs!  ;)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Ooops... I posted this in the wrong thread... :o
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:54:06 PM by Franko »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
The only "romance" involved with Amiga floppy discs in my opinion is when theyre original copies of software and it has the manuals, box, etc. Apart from that I hate floppies. Always have, probably always will :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.