Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What? No kvetching about the new header?  (Read 5718 times)

Description:

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
Re: What? No kvetching about the new header?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:00:47 PM »
This site looks less "amiga" every day.  Good job (NOT) on the header.  I liked the previous one with Amiga font better.
Prediction: Ah what else, a.org will get polutted with UAE folks and fewer actual amiga users but hey i've said this before.;-)

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
I posted the original comment here as a mid-line joke because the header had been up a few hours and no one had said anything.

THAT being said, I'm not a graphics artist and at this point, I'm going to just stop trying because it's incredibly obvious that some of you will never be happy, no matter what I do -- short of scrapping this all and putting back up PHP4 and the 9 year old Xoops package -- which isn't going to happen.

I'm done.  Anyone with legitimate comments, please feel free to submit your own version for consideration.  Those of you just bitching because you're just eternal, miserable gits, bite me...  

:laughing:
//* Signature Free *//

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456583
THAT being said, I'm not a graphics artist and at this point......

:laughing:

You know, Wayne, if you need graphics for the site, you could just *ASK* me, or the several other graphic artists on the site. :idea:

I agree with the header, though. I think "Amiga. Community. Support" should be one, entire sentence.

Even though it's a fragment. :P
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Ive

• Show only replies by Ive
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »
In my opinion all 4 are fine and dandy.

Finally, amiga.org spilt in a logo, Amiga - comp (only a 'comp' 'cause I'm now off the emulation AmigaSYS4 and it's miserable. :-( ), Community - the writing one is interesting, so it stands perfectly ok, support - where to buy what to get, games, again great.

LOL The cat biting the new post hand. :-))))))
--+ Ive +--

• Winning!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
1) I honestly don't get what people are so afraid of.  Isn't the Amiga community SUPPOSED to do things differently?

2) @terminator4, what the bleep do you want it to do to be more "Amiga"?  Come over to your house and bleep at you in translator.voice?  Quicherbitchen and just accept that Xoops is dead for the sake of he who cannot be named for political correctness reasons.

3) Marketing and dramatic emphasis.  You may not think the use of periods is grammatically correct, but three words people.  Three words which describes EXACTLY what we do and why we're here.  The periods, while not necessary, literally punctuate the words into memory.  If it had said "bitchy whiny tagline" you'd not even have noticed.

4) I am *so* tempted to put on one substituting the tagline for "keep bitching and I'll whip out Topaz.  I ain't skeered".

5 My second option is the choice between "Amiga. Community. Support. Period." or "Amiga. Community. Support. Dammit."

LOL at the cat biting the hand on the new thread thing.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline toca180

• Show only replies by toca180
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
What, no beta in there? :nervous:

Great job though! Keep up the good work. I like the new header.

Robert
A1200 (Dead :-(  OS 3.1/3.1, 030@33, 882@33, 2/8MB RAM, 1.4GB HDD
A500 OS 3.1/3.1, 020@14, 882@14, 0.5/6.5MB RAM, A590 2GB SCSI HDD, CD ROM, Mas Player
A600 OS 2.1/2.05, 000@7, 1/0MB RAM

Commodore
Vic 20 1530
64C 1541, 1530
128 1530
C16 1531

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
Wayne, take a well deserved break!

Oh, I like the header - the AMIGA is nice, put the ".org" in the Topaz 8 font ;)

Not sure about the "Amiga. Community. Support" as the site isn't a support site, Amiga is mentioned above, so we're left with "Community". Maybe something that could mention the cross-community aspect - classic, modern, AROS, even MorphOS?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456562
I'm amazed that you guys aren't up in arms over the new header logo.

Too much Xanax in the kool aid?  :)

Wayne

If you insist, I can write a bitcher bot :lol:
int p; // A

Offline terminator4

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »
Wayne,
How about adding this "Amiga" which is scanned from my cover of Commodore Amiga product catalog as logo? (adding .org to it).???  At least it's got the classic Amiga font ;-)
And it is on Amiga 2000, 4000, 500/1200 as logo.
Maybe even adding 1 or 2 of the actual amiga machines (see the 3 machines, the A1200 is already transparent).
Make it transparent on grey/white gradient background?  Just my suggestion :-P
I have the 4MB scanned version for the artists on this site ready to be emailed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:54:45 PM by terminator4 »

• Winning!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
@terminator.

If you can tell the difference between the "original" font (Bodoni) and Georgia (what I'm using now) so much so that it bothers you to the level you accuse this site of "becoming less and less Amiga" (which -- sorry, but -- I take to be an INCREDIBLY offensive accusation), then there's no resolution for that. Your eyesight is just too good, and your standards just too high.  Sorry.

For the record, I did try Bodoni first and the letter spacing between the I and the GA was really funky.  I could have probably manually spaced the letters, but does it really matter THAT much?

Besides, The "A" in OUR logo is Georgia, not Bodoni.  It always has been.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline terminator4

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »
Ibrowse 2.4 "quick reply" button does not work?  "quote" seems to work.  Aweb 3.5 is the same.  The new A.org takes longer to load on than the older version on 060.  How's this for legit complaint and frustration on my part?  The "amiga" layout (the way ibrowse/aweb place out things) isn't as nice as on the old site.
Other than the few quirky users here (not using Amiga machines and not caring) thats fine. :-)
- this was posted on my A2000/060.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:15:14 PM by terminator4 »

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
Great.

the "serving the Amiga community since 1994" title is a nice touch. Its a keeper!
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456605
Ibrowse 2.4 "quick reply" button does not work?  "quote" seems to work.  Aweb 3.5 is the same.  The new A.org takes longer to load on than the older version on 060.  How's this for legit complaint and frustration on my part?  The "amiga" layout (the way ibrowse/aweb place out things) isn't as nice as on the old site.
Other than the few quirky users here (not using Amiga machines and not caring) thats fine. :-)

There is a proper place to report site issues.

As mentioned before, quick reply uses Javascript as do modern browsers.

It's not the site's fault if an old browser can't use some of the more modern features. Besides there is always the alternative. Use normal reply.

Why complain about a feature that is just an optional extra. I never use quick reply. You don't need it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:23:36 PM by GadgetMaster »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;456605
The new A.org takes longer to load on than the older version on 060.  ...

There's your whole problem, right there. What you need is a cheap and cheerful 200 quid PC just for web browsing. Even a machine of that price range has orders of magnitude more processing and image rasterizing power than the machine you are using. It'll run a modern browser quite happily.
int p; // A

• Winning!
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 27, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
@terminator.

I forget who said it, but it really is true that "this site is built for Amiga users, not for Amiga browsers".  Unfortunately most of the browsers on a machine that's been literally dead (as in off the market) for almost 15 years simply cannot handle even the simplest of tasks on the Internet any more, and I can't spend hundreds of hours backwards engineering this software to make it backward compatible with 2002 HTML without breaking 90% of the cool features that 99% of our users can now enjoy.

It hurts my feelings to have to draw that line, but I've explained why it was necessary until I'm literally sick (and angry) over having to continually explain it.

I do sincerely understand and accept your frustrations, but frankly Amiga.org now "is what it is" and you can either accept it, or not.  Continually insulting the work that we've put into this site is never going to change that.

The people you should REALLY be upset with is the Amiga browser authors who -- for all intents and purposes -- haven't update their product in almost 10 years.   *THEY* gave up on this community.  

At least I'm still trying, and again, frankly, you have no idea how many nights I've stayed awake debating that fact..

Regards,

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:30:21 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//