Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Does one Install (to/from) USB  (Read 3772 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 20, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;600097
Well, it seems to be that OS3.x must be a load of cobblers then, ask a straightforward question and can't get a sensible answer...

:p

You didn't expect a sensible answer from me did you... :)

I'm sorry, did you not read the guy's question? Speed don't come into it my lad!

Erm... obviously not only the bit's that interested me... :)

He doesn't want to use the pen drive as a substitute HD, he wants to use a bootable pen drive to boot the system and then install the OS from the pen drive to the HD. You know, like you might do with a bootable CD? Only he is using a distro too big to fit onto a CD and the machine doesn't have a DVD drive.

So why do you smartie pants AROS buffs not give him an answer then... :p

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600099
You didn't expect a sensible answer from me did you... :)

No, but I didn't expect a smart erse remark about AROS being cobblers purely on the basis that so far only one person has tried to help him. After all, your answer was hardly helpful was it?

So why do you smartie pants AROS buffs not give him an answer then... :p

Perhaps because, like myself, most people using it aren't faced with his particular dilemma and therefore simply don't know. Not really a reflection on the OS itself.

What I do know is that bootable pen drives sometimes involve all kinds of voodoo.
int p; // A

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600091
Still seems like AROS is cobblers to me, if no-one can give the guy a straight forward answer... :)

Hey Franko, have you noticed I actually answered to him?

Anyway, some months ago I had a specific problem enlarging a Windows system partition under VMware using Gparted, and this messed up Windows boot files in a way common tools like bcedit and fixboot wouldn't repair. I asked for help but nobody answered to me: was nobody using Windows?
p.bes

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
paolone: I made my posts over a course of time. I began with one guide which suggested I could make two partitions, one for AROS and one FAT to transfer files from one system to the other.

Initially that was what I was trying to do, then I found your guide and said screw it and just formatted the whole thing to FAT so AROS would see and detect it. I was NOT trying to install AROS onto FAT. I just want AROS to format the thing via the installer, but now that my drives are corrupt beyond repair, I can no longer do this, but I am going to order a DVD-ROM for the computer I intended to install it on. In this way I can be sure that no more of my drives get destroyed.

As for DISKPART, I use MicroXP, so DISKPART (along with a slew of other things) are not part of this distro, but believe me, it compensates with speed!
It is for this reason that I used a Hard Drive tool, and I set the USB drive to active, just as a safety precaution as I know some things such as my Nintendo WII will not see the hard drive unless it is set to active, that's why I chose that step...

...but anyhow, my drives are now useless as boot devices, so I'm going to send them back to Sandisk and never attempt this again. I'd rather just invest in an extra DVD-ROM as suggested above, besides, who wants an AROS machine without a DVD-ROM? :)

P.S. It did take FOREVER to get a response here, while I do thank you in particular for responding, I do have to say that this does look bad for the AROS scene and does make it look like there are hardly any users.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
You'd probably have been better off asking for help on http://aros-exec.org mate.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600095
Well I wouldn't want to even attempt to boot from a pen drive it would be way too slow compared to an HD, as for how it's done, don't ask me as I doubt it could be anyway... :)

You can't even boot from USB on any of the iMacs I use it needs an external firewire drive to boot from another source, thing is why would you want to boot from a USB storage device in the first place, as I say It's way slower than an HD... :confused:

I'm running my A2000/060 and A3000/040 completely on USB sticks plugged into Deneb USB controllers. Works very nicely. I also, using the Icaros guide listed very early in this thread, have run and installed AROS from USB sticks. I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook with Mac OS X Snow Leopard running on its SSD and AROS running from a USB stick when I want to run that OS. It's a pretty speedy and responsive little system in either case.

Anyway, I stumbled a bit at first, as the thread starter has, trying to make it work. But following the guide to the letter will result in success.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »
Quote from: mbrantley;601513
I'm running my A2000/060 and A3000/040 completely on USB sticks plugged into Deneb USB controllers. Works very nicely. I also, using the Icaros guide listed very early in this thread, have run and installed AROS from USB sticks. I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook with Mac OS X Snow Leopard running on its SSD and AROS running from a USB stick when I want to run that OS. It's a pretty speedy and responsive little system in either case.

Anyway, I stumbled a bit at first, as the thread starter has, trying to make it work. But following the guide to the letter will result in success.

Now that's interesting stuff there in regard to the Amigas... :)

The iMacs I use are the old G4 & G5 type you can boot from a firewire device but not from USB on these old models, I even got a 250Gb HD taken from the G5 hooked up via one of those USB/SATA convertors, but even with OSX 10.5.8 it tells you you can't boot via a USB device... :(

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »
Quote from: Franko;601514
Now that's interesting stuff there in regard to the Amigas... :)

LOL! Necessity is the mother of invention. All my old SCSI hard drives are failing and even the new-old-stock SCSI drives I bought as spares were DOA.

Offline jjans

• Show only replies by jjans
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
I just experienced a similar issue today with the new 1.25, just cannot get the install to find the usbscsi.device "DU0" after wiping the pendrive. Funny as it worked on an earlier version with my laptop, 1.21 I think...

With that version, I was able to install to the same pendrive quite easily, but could not get the networking online. So.. I wiped the pendrive to try out 1.25.

Don't get me wrong, this kind of thing is bound to have setbacks... From what I have seen, this still is a pretty amazing OS when run from a hard drive. The USB install was nice because I did not want to trash my Ubuntu machine, and I found it outperformed a machine running in VirtualBox.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:38:59 AM by jjans »
\\"Most Xenonites fly imports. Unfortunately yours is a domestic model. Don\\\'t be surprised if the gears work in reverse\\" - Volhaul\\\'s Revenge: Close Encounters of the Sludge Kind.

GVP A530, VXL 30/32, Supra 500XP, A590, A1000.