Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed 3D Resources in PNG  (Read 2275 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Alien Breed 3D Resources in PNG
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »
Now that people are beginning to offer their help on my Alien Breed 3D Project, I needed to go back through and try to organize all my work.

So I decided to re-convert all the Alien Breed GFX resources, and this time take them into PNG format as that has become my preferred format to work with.

The upside to undergoing this task is that I found more Sprites (Enemies) that I had somehow over looked before, so now my game is getting a second robot if not a third! :)

Anyhow, here ya go, maybe you can use them in your own project, or maybe you can help me? ;)

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/DLn8RZeoix/ab3d-aminet-gfx-resources.zip
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:05:36 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
Re: Alien Breed 3D Resources in PNG
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »
Not sure if anyone is interested in this package, a lot of views, no comments. Boy my topics are popular hugh? ;)

Anyhow, I noticed that I failed to convert a folder so I converted it,  re-uploaded the package, and updated the link above.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:54:15 PM »
Cool graphics package. And I support your decision about the PNG format.
I'm just not sure what do you need help with ? Last time we voted on the enemies. That was useful and fun :)
Now it seems that you are on the right track, and we follow your work with interest :)
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
I've been trying to organize my resources and plans so I can answer that question better.

Right now, at the moment the thing I need more than anything is for someone to go through and create some weapon sprites that look good with the DOOM engine. The ones in the AB3D resource pack are unusable.

Basically I have the weapons behavior fleshed out pretty much to the way I want them all to behave, well with the exception of a grenade launcher, I am eventually going to change one of the weapons into that once/if the BOUNCE feature is added into Odamex.

If you would like, I can share with you my current work for the project (which has changed direction some since when it was planned for BOOM), and you can take a look and see if maybe there is something you could contribute, or if anything some criticism as I'm always open to that from Amiga users, Alien Breed fans, or DOOM editing veterans.

If you are interested send me a PM, I'll get back in touch! :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
In regards to weapons, what exactly is it you need?
Do you want the actual ab3d2 weapons, but redrawn as different "sprite" animations ala doom? If I recall correctly ab3d2 uses texture mapped polygons for the weapons?

Also, are these resources more current than the ones I already have?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Oh, here it is :)
The raiders of the lost thread :D

Anyway, I'm backing up fishy_fiz's questions. Weapons 2D or 3D ? Redrawn, or do you want some new styles ?
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
Is there a reason they're so low-grade? o.O
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;729028
In regards to weapons, what exactly is it you need?
Do you want the actual ab3d2 weapons, but redrawn as different "sprite" animations ala doom? If I recall correctly ab3d2 uses texture mapped polygons for the weapons?

Also, are these resources more current than the ones I already have?

These are the original untouched resources. Now that I've went through my project a few times I see that the Palette still needs work, so I figure it's best to work with the original textures and sprites within their original palette, then I can conform them to my (or someone else's) newly created palette later.

One thing I will say though is that I want the sprites to remain consistent with the darker tone of the original Alien Breeds and of AB3D II, so that pastel crap has got to go, except where enemy sprites are involved, I'd like to keep them as close to their original palette as possible. For which reason I'm thinking maybe some of the old sprites could be tweaked and modified to better fit in with some of the new sprites featured in my pWAD. Or some will just have to go all together. I think the core of this is keeping the enemies, a few familiar sprites, all the sounds, musick, and "some" familiar locations from the original games in the series, and then on top of that create fresh new sprites to reflect the new places explored that were not explored in previous games.

Basically all the current Q3 Weapon sprites need to go. All except the Shotgun that is, I like the shotgun, but the rest, yes. I don't want people playing this and saying,"hey, look at all the Alien Breed enemies, but what's up with the Quake 3 weapons?" :)

Those are from someone else's work and I want this project to be as much it's own thing as possible.

So yes, basically what my goal is, is to have sprite replacements that are either higher resolution versions of old AB3D I and II weapons, re-interpretations of old AB I, II, and Towers weapons, or even maybe all new original weapon sprites for some weapons.

A guide line to use would be the current weapons behaviors and match them up with guns from Alien Breed that act very much the same. I.E. the gun that you currently start off with in my project is the initial weapon from Quake 3 (first image) which could easily be replaced by sprites from the initial weapons in Alien Breed 3D I (second image).

The down side of course is that the available weapon sprites from Alien Breed 3D look like ass, so they would have to be re-imagined all together.

Likewise, some of my weapon behaviors do not exactly match those of Alien Breed 3D I, but may closer resemble the weapon behaviors from a gun in Alien Breed Towers, or Alien Breed 3D II or what have you, in which case it would be interesting if someone could come along and develop fresh new sprites that resembled those weapons.

I do know though that I intend to alter the behaviors for one of the weapons in my pWAD, I need to convert it over to a rocket launcher that that featured in AB3D I, and at this particular moment, I do now know which one I will be replacing for sure, maybe you guys could help me choose?

In the game type IDKFA and you'll have access to all the weapons. Play around with them and let me know if there is one you think would be a good candidate to sacrifice, excluding the two melee weapons of course as I am going to be doing something else with them eventually and getting rid of those Iron Gloves from Hexen. :)

Also, if someone wants to have a stab at creating fresh new weapon sprites that don't resemble any of the previous weapons from the Alien Breed series, I'd be up for that too, just so long as the majority of the weapons resemble those found within the original series. In fact I'm thinking both of the Melee weapons could take on that form as I don't recall Alien Breed having Melee weapons, or did it? I know there is a sprite in there for an arm with a knife, but I don't recall ever having to use a knife, likewise, I'm not sure a knife would get you far considering how weak the initial weapon is even when up against the Red Aliens from level one of AB3D. So maybe a high powered taser type weapon would make a neat addition?

Oh yes, and also we need continuity. If ever a hand is saw, or a foot or what ever, it needs to be consistent from sprite to sprite, I.E. if you draw a sprite featuring a hand with a black glove on, then all sprites features the hand must also have the glove.

Hope all that makes sense, if you have suggestions or criticisms, please feel free to share them!

Lord AGA, I'm gonna send you a link to my latest work. Do you know how to open WAD files and explore their contents?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;729052
Is there a reason they're so low-grade? o.O

What do you mean?