Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atari animations for the Amiga  (Read 1855 times)

Description:

Offline WaranTopic starter

• Show only replies by Waran
    • http://www.randelshofer.ch/animations/amiga.html
Atari animations for the Amiga
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
You certainly are familiar with computer graphics created on the Amiga, but what about other computers that hit the market about the same time, for example the Atari ST?

You maybe saw the famous NEOchrome Waterfall before and maybe you even heard of paint programs such as 'Cyber Paint' or 'Degas Elite'. But can you also list Atari artists or do you know of other graphics created on this platform? Well, a couple of month ago I didn't know much about this scene too and was curious to find out more.

I thought it would be nice to build an animation page similar to the one I did for the Amiga. The result was the Atari ST Animations page where you can get an idea what Atari artists did with their machines.

Please keep in mind, that the Atari ST only had 3 graphic modes. Animations were mainly created on a 320 x 200 px screen with a maximum of 16 colors out of a 512 color palette. Nevertheless I was amazed to find quite impressive stuff.

Since the applet can't handle Atari files I converted them into Amiga the IFF ANIM and ILBM format. Note, that the original files can be downloaded along with the converted version at the bottom of each page. So this also gives you the opportunity to play Atari animations on your Amiga!

Here are a few examples:

Cylinder-Boink is a ray tracing demo by Clive Probert created for the 'Toronto Atari Show' in 1992.

NCC-1701-D In-Warp is an awesome clip of the U.S.S. Enterprise cruising at warp speed.

Klingon Calamity is another Start Trek animation by Maurice Molyneaux of a Klingon battlecruiser under fire.

Voyager 1 shows the Voyager probe passing a rocky moon before flying towards the rings of saturn.

Bird is a composite of video captures of a flying cacadoo over a still image.

Catnap tells the story of a dog and a cat in front of a TV and some strange transformations the cat encounters while using the remote control.

Space is a demo animation created with DeluxePaint for the Atari ST.

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:50:49 AM by Waran »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Atari animations for the Amiga
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
Odd... but I'd only ever seen an Atari desktop screenshot before, quite impressed by those anims considering what you say the specs are, the Catnap one was the best I reckon, thanks for sharing those... :)

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Some great stuff on there. I had an ST before I got my A500, and started out on neochrome.
The whole site is brilliant.

Offline WaranTopic starter

• Show only replies by Waran
    • http://www.randelshofer.ch/animations/amiga.html
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;610854
Some great stuff on there. I had an ST before I got my A500, and started out on neochrome.
The whole site is brilliant.

I must admit, NEOchrome came along with a nice looking graphical user interface.
As an Amiga user the split screen reminded me much on the Amiga ability to drag or display different screens.
The Amiga did this simply by changing the copper list on a certain scan line.

Another remarkable tool is the NEOchrome color palette consisting of 208 individual colors presented on a 16 color screen.
To achieve this the Atari just changed the color palette every time new colors where required.

In addition the waterfall in the upper half of the screen is animated with color cycling.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:26:53 PM by Waran »