Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 26058 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: iPad 2
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;619431
But Franko Bloodline is a professional dj. Djs don't actually make music they just use other peoples music and add sound effects and then sell it as a remix.

Actually I was the synth guy in a vaguely successful Electro-rock band... I've never been asked to DJ as my taste in music is rather avant garde... :)

I've done a fair bit of production work for other bands but no remixes to date...

What do they teach us at uni these days? Well they each us how to spell for a start. Teach is spelt as 'teach' not 'tech' :roflmao:

I studied Chemistry at uni... That was 10 years ago and I would have mocked anyone who used a mac... To be fair Mac's didn't use OSX in those days ;)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;619432
@Franko, Apple do dumb stuff down and target the "normal" guy on the street wiu their products, I can't argue against that... But I have to give them credit that I can as a bedroom coder make enough money to make ends meet because their IPhone/iPad app store... And I would encourage and assist anyone here to do the same!

Hmm... it's nice to know that, perhaps I'll be a little bit less "hostile" to them the next time I email them... :)

While I may not be a big Apple fan, it's does bring a smile to my face knowing that someone can still in this day and age be a "bedroom coder" and things aren't like the doom & gloom naysayers try to have us believe... :)

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:38 PM »
Commodore is dead, Amiga is dead, Apple is flying high.  This really is more about jealousy than anything else.  Apple succeeds  by selling the public what it wants to buy, not a netbook mother board stuffed into a 30 year old case, nor a dual core sub 2 GHz computer for 1500 quid, where you can't even use the two core together.  

It's an integrated tuned piece of hardware that is easy to program and easy to sell programs for.  It supplements your computer, your tv and your other Apple products.  It's isn't a PC, it's the ultimate post PC product.  

As far as the lockdown, well, try to do anything with Android without rooting it first....

Quote from: murple;619420
Crapple is just about the total opposite of Commodore. Screw the MaxiPad 2 and all their other products.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;619427
bah Apple..HP Palm TouchPad all the way:D

I'm actually looking forward to this one too! WebOS is rather good, we just have to see if HP screw it up :)

For the record, I have tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab and it was terrible... I wasn't very good at doing much... I don't generally see the need for tablet devices, so it has to be really good at what is does or I would rather use a laptop... The iPad only just gets away with it, and it doe that by being totally unobtrusive... The Galaxy made you aware of it's presence and you had to work against it to get stuff done!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:50:22 PM »
oh cool our very own washed out one hit wonder :)

Tell me what it was called and i will download it for a listen :)

If you wan't to hear a cool techno/rock band try Def Fx. They are from Sydney in the 90's. They go off live too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdWAGP1ie4
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Rob

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619401
I got four ruddy emails from Apple in the past 24 hours about this poxy iPad 2 thingy... :madashell:

When they gonna understand I don't want to buy such a useless piece of crap, despite me telling them so in numerous emails, do the numpties at Apple not understand plain Scottish when I tell them their stuff is overpriced and a total load of keech... :(

Need to send another email again now and ask them to stop trying to sell me junk that I don't want... buggers... :furious:

At least Tom Tom know some Scottish.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/english_bas/

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:35 PM »
Those who do not own a tablet will have their opinion of them. Those who are "geeks" apparently will be convinced Android is better.

Tell me what computer will fit on a music stand of a music keyboard and store every piece of sheet music / chord charts / lyrics / set lists a muso may have and not look stupid. OnSong + iPad becomes the perfect songbook for live stage use.

Have you seen the Alesis StudioDock and AKAI SynthStation 49. These are iPad specific hardware units designed to increase functionality of the iPad for musos. In these two units alone combined with GarageBand for iPad you have a portable studio/synth setup that you couldn't get for that money in the past.

Sometimes I wish people looked past the fact that tablets aren't simply for doing computer stuff and realise that they are used for so many other things that neither a desktop nor laptop nor phone will do.

PS: I have a first generation iPad 16GB Wifi for sale! :) (Yes, I am getting an iPad 2)

PPS: Accelerometer being used for touch sensitivity on the software instruments is pure genius and I hadn't seen that used ANYWHERE else. Apple do think about some things others simply do not.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:55:44 PM by dentunes »
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline Tcheko

• Show only replies by Tcheko
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »

Offline dentunes

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »
Quote from: Tcheko;619445
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=gb&lang=en

Worth a look also.
They say they are the thinnest though not anymore!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;619444
Sometimes I wish people looked past the fact that tablets aren't simply for doing computer stuff and realise that they are used for so many other things that neither a desktop nor laptop nor phone will do.

Please, feel free to enlighten me. What is it that a pad does that neither a notebook nor a good smartphone will do?

As far as I can see, the iPad, for example, is simply a physically larger version of the iPod touch. I would have said the iPhone, but as it's not actually a phone, I didn't.

It's just too big to be genuinely portable (I see people with regular seats struggling with then on the train every morning without fail, only those at table seats have a comfortable experience) in the way a phone is, and just too isolated/unexpandable to be a replacement for a notebook.
int p; // A

Offline dentunes

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;619447
Please, feel free to enlighten me. What is it that a pad does that neither a notebook nor a good smartphone will do?

As far as I can see, the iPad, for example, is simply a physically larger version of the iPod touch. I would have said the iPhone, but as it's not actually a phone, I didn't.

It's just too big to be genuinely portable (I see people with regular seats struggling with then on the train every morning without fail, only those at table seats have a comfortable experience) in the way a phone is, and just too isolated/unexpandable to be a replacement for a notebook.
I mentioned using it for on stage use as a song book.

It isn't about whether other devices can or can't do it, it is whether one would use it for that. I wouldn't use a phone for sheet music use as it is too small. Laptop's do not fit on the music stand and desktops belong at home.

I am not saying that a tablet isn't simply a bigger smart phone. The fact that it is bigger opens it up to more uses.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:01:08 AM by dentunes »

Offline dentunes

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;619447

Another use that I use my iPad for is as a controller for Logic Studio. That allows me to control my DAW from where I am recording, not from where my computer is. I don't even have to see my computer to do that. I am sure a computer would do that but you wouldn't want to move a computer around the studio for that purpose. A phone is simply too small to do that.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »
Quote from: Rob;619442
At least Tom Tom know some Scottish.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/english_bas/

:lol:

I think I'll send Tom Tom a wee email and see if they really can understand Scottish... :)

Hullo rer Tam Tam, howz it gawn ya bas.

Ah jist wanted tae write ris wee email tae ye tae tell ye a hink yur wee gizmos are a load o jobbies, no rat ah'v evur evun tried em, cos a dinnae even huv a motor but a jist fote rat ah wid hiv a good greet aboot rem anywiez cos ah'm jist a door faced auld git who like nuthin bettur ran a guid auld moan... :)

awe ra best

Franko

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:39 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;619441
oh cool our very own washed out one hit wonder :)

Hahaha, almost... Except we never really had a "hit" :lol:

Tell me what it was called and i will download it for a listen :)

[YouTube]fXxmmakxJNQ[/YouTube]

[youtube]BIFwlkV6ANk[/YouTube]

there is plenty of stuff on YouTube and iTunes if you are interested :)

If you wan't to hear a cool techno/rock band try Def Fx. They are from Sydney in the 90's. They go off live too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdWAGP1ie4
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:09:13 AM by bloodline »

Offline dentunes

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
Some links for interesting things the iPad does

Hardware controller for the iPad turning it into a fully fledged synth
http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation49

Dock turning the iPad into a fully fledged recording studio
https://www.alesis.com/iodock

Example of using a clip to attach the iPad to a mic stand for stage use
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/iklip_clip_your_ipad_to_your_mic_stand/

Guitar effects unit on the iPad
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitubeipad/features/

OnSong app allowing storage of sheet music even with option of foot controller to turn page
http://www.onsongapp.com/features/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:37:05 AM by dentunes »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 04, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »
Sorry Bloodline my adblockerplus is blocking it out. What is the name of your band? Simple text will do fine. Cheers :)

p.s. The singer in Def Fx looks like Cammy :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.