Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 87009 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #914 from previous page: January 22, 2022, 04:46:46 AM »
Well, this much I'm aware of;-

1) A314 is a different expansion (trapdoor) designed to give network, hd and I think  RTG support. As it is Pi based, porting the code to extend Pistorm functionality.
t
2) Emu68 is just the code for 68K emulation. I think main Pihstorm repo has Musashi emulator still bundled, but it's not difficult to compile with either.

3) Compile? Oh yes. It's very much down and dirty with the Pi to get going,

4) Part of the process involves flashing the firmware to the Pistorm adapter to program the CPLD chips. They can be problematic (different versions due to chip shortage, also no guarantee the board was put together right - shorts are not unheard of, although they are often fixable by the end user.

5) More info here;-

https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

And you will often find THAT is outdated. WIP-CRAP for most up to date (AlexH and Beany on Discord doing ever more amazing things).

In short, it's very very DIY and a bit of a slog to setup before you actually slap it into an Amiga and power up.

But, nothing else touches it for price really.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:57:35 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #915 on: January 23, 2022, 12:44:22 AM »
Pat,

Again.  Thanks for the info.  I'm starting to understand things more.  Certainly I don't understand it all quite yet.

I shouldn't have to worry about my PiStorm Assembly, Flashing, since I got the PiStorm 2k, all assembled, flashed and pre-tested in a A2000 from this guy.
https://www.tindie.com/products/retrofletch/pistorm-2k-for-a2000-flashed-and-tested-amiga-2000-2/

The only thing I'll have to play with is Software on the Pi Side.   Compiling and stuff, I've done before.  I was a liniux admin for 10 years couple decades ago, and back then compiling was much more complex than today.

Looking forward to playing with this Low Cost Project.   I enjoy the hacking experience and then get bored.  Personally I don't use my Amiga for anything other the hacking/discovery.

« Reply #916 on: January 23, 2022, 08:30:25 AM »
Pat,

Maybe you can answer this question.

When I plug in the PiStorm 2k, what is the best  Boot From Floppy (Game) or (Diagnostic Software) to run on the Amiga 2000 to test things to prove the Amiga is running true native hardware (no emulation).

Diagrom V1.21 Chip in my Kickstart Switcher?  Don't have one but they are cheap.

I figure another good HW/SW test would be to see if (Bridgeboard works), that would certainly be streching compatibility limites.
Maybe another would be to test my (Auto Boot enabled "GVP SCSI+8MB).

« Reply #917 on: January 24, 2022, 07:19:23 AM »
Well I was searching the Wrong way on Youtube for PiStorm.   Just tried "*pistorm*", and a ton more video came up.

Looks like AutoConfig and Zorro bus card now work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVqUihLZa3s

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #918 on: January 25, 2022, 01:33:12 AM »
Pat,

Maybe you can answer this question.

When I plug in the PiStorm 2k, what is the best  Boot From Floppy (Game) or (Diagnostic Software) to run on the Amiga 2000 to test things to prove the Amiga is running true native hardware (no emulation).

Diagrom V1.21 Chip in my Kickstart Switcher?  Don't have one but they are cheap.

I figure another good HW/SW test would be to see if (Bridgeboard works), that would certainly be streching compatibility limites.
Maybe another would be to test my (Auto Boot enabled "GVP SCSI+8MB).

I honestly don't know for sure.

I THINK that once you've plugged it in, you are essentially in emulation land anyway.

Even if you've set it to emulate a 68000 running at 7 MHz. Which I don't think it does perfectlyl but I have no input to offer.

Pistorm lets you choose a ROM image, I don't think you need an actual DiagROM chip as such.

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #919 on: January 25, 2022, 02:15:31 AM »
Ahh... I never considered PiStorm and ability to choose Rom Image (Diagrom). 

Great point!  Therefore I just need to get the Diagrom binary image which is free, so no need to get a ROM for my kickstart switcher.  If the PiStorm is (basic) functional, it will work.

You just saved me sone money.  Thanks Pat.  I owe you a beer!

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #920 on: January 25, 2022, 11:44:52 PM »
I think Chucky or whoever wrote DiagROM deserves it more. :beer

Offline mschulz

« Reply #921 on: January 27, 2022, 09:12:48 AM »
The Emu68 project is replacing an heavy Raspberry Pi Linux OS with a Barebone Linux.  That why the Emu86 way is many many times faster.

Emu68 has nothing common with linux. It is bare metal software working without any operating system, directly on RaspberryPi.

Offline matt020

• Show only replies by matt020
« Reply #922 on: February 04, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »
To save the effort of reading 62 pages

Is anyone able to provide a summary of this thread so far?

*** K thanks!!! ***
A500, A600, A2000, A1200, CD32, A4000

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #923 on: February 05, 2022, 05:20:09 AM »
One man's quest to recover his college system back to working order and much more?

It kind of started as data recovery and grew into a full megapimp.  :)

Remember, back then having an 040 speed Amiga cost a serious amount of money. Let alone RTG.

« Reply #924 on: February 05, 2022, 05:39:13 AM »
To save the effort of reading 62 pages

Is anyone able to provide a summary of this thread so far?

*** K thanks!!! ***
Hey matt020, Pat got the original starting point of this Thread, which was to get my A2000, A2088 Bridgeboard to work with an Old MFM Hard Drive hanging off an MFM/RLL controller card.   Goal was to extract the contents of the Hard drive.

Plenty of challenges were faced, ribbon cables, kickstart matching OS and Bridgeboard software, etc.  Things got solve 100% solved with help from many folks on the forum.  There were no hardware issues, just misconfigurations.

During the quest, other side projects kicked off, 4 ROM Kickstart switcher,  Upgrading Gotek to HXC firmware,  a Lotek ISA board working with Compact Flash (using bridgeboard), then a GVP Zorro II Card with SSCI Drive & 8MB Ram, a Individual ECS vga module, a Budha IDE with DOM, and External Gotek Drive Adapter and a DF0:/DF1: Drive switcher.

That explains the initial 62 pages of this thread.

Things were left to collect dust for some time.   

A week ago I ordered a  PiStorm 2k Card + 68000k relocator card to start some fresh new Retro hacking all over again with the components I have aqauired over last while.