Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: cyberstorm II SCSI question  (Read 749 times)

Description:

Offline TafkaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tafka
cyberstorm II SCSI question
« on: April 17, 2003, 11:10:34 PM »
Can someone with a Cyberstorm II and the SCSI module please tell me if there is a jumper on the board for adjusting the termination.

I have changed from a single external SCSI drive to a single internal one and I'm getting some strange effects with the SCSI scan.  I was sure there was a jumper on the board that turned off termination for the inside end of the chain but I can't find the manual.

Can someone tell me what the settings are for this jumper?

Re: cyberstorm II SCSI question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 12:32:18 AM »
IIRC, the Cyberstorm does not have any terminators on-board.  You must, therefore, have two external terminators for proper operation, one on each end of the chain.  Each terminator may be a dedicated active terminator, or an active terminator built into a SCSI drive (and enabled, usually by a jumper on the drive, if your drive has that capability).

Offline TafkaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tafka
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 11:21:27 PM »
Are you sure that is the Cyberstorm II ?

I am almost positive I remember reading about a jumper setting and I am fairly sure I've altered it before because I've had an internal SCSI drive.

I've tried looking on the web for a version of the Cyberstorm II manual but no luck !  :-(

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 12:58:23 AM »
According to the manual infront of me, this jumper is located on the bottom of the external connector board and are...
1-2 = AUTO Detect connection of devices
2-3 = Terminators are OFF
OPEN = Terminators are always ON

Regards,
Peter.

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 01:27:20 AM »
Sneaker is right about the external connector. Leave it set for "Auto", then it'll terminate if there's nothing outside, or (it will) leave termination OFF if you connect an external cable.

Don't forget that you have to enable termination on the drive at the end of the internal cable.

There is only auto termination on the SCSI module itself, nothing to be set.

BTW, did you know that there is a 2-pin connector on the board just near the two 50-pin connectors? You can connect an LED to that and have a "SCSI Bus" activity light.

tony

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 01:38:00 AM »
Sneaker is right about the external connector. Leave it set for "Auto", then it'll terminate if there's nothing outside, or (it will) leave termination OFF if you connect an external cable.

My Cyberstorm II with CyberSCSI would malfunction with the Auto settings.  I had to manually set to OFF and then use active terminators.  (If I unplug my external CD, I have to plug in an active block)  I'm not sure what it's deal was, but it seemed unable to handle the Auto setting in my case.  The error I was recieving was a "Phased Frame SCSI Error", if I remember correctly.  (It was a LOOOONG time ago!)